Sign in to follow this  
Contour1996

Locked out of 1996 Contour

Hi.

I'm new to this forum. I recently inherited a 1996 Contour GL. The doors on the car are locked and will not unlock using the key. I can hear the actuator working but none of the doors unlock. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Contour1996

Does the key turn in the lock cylinder? Are you using a remote or a tool to actuate the door locks?

-Dominic

The key turn in the lock and I can hear the actuator when I turn the key. Also, I can see the interior light come on. However, the doors will not open. I have used the key in both the driver and passenger door.

Well, that's certainly a strange one. The door locks will cycle and you should see the lever inside go flat when it's unlocked. If the door doesn't open when the interior lock lever goes flat with the door handle it may be that the door is stuck - Or the latch is faulty. But both doors seems a little strange. Has this vehicle been sitting for a long while? Like years? Because the door seals may just be stuck to the door frames preventing the doors from opening.

-Dominic