Trevor Kennedy

Has Spark won't start

Ran it out of gas then replaced fuel pump and filter, it has Spark and it wouldn't even stay running with starting fluid (I had to try) only backfires once... Did I did the engine? What can I do? Car has auto start, but I've never been able to get it to start when it ran. Please help! 

Hi Trevor, these issues can be very frustrating for sure. First please tell me the car info;   year, trim level, stick or auto, engine, miles, and anything else about the cars history.

Regards,

AF

Being that it's a 4 cylinder, are you sure it just ran out of gas? A broken timing belt can mimic the same issues and will kill the engine. Does it crank normally but not start? If it's backfiring that normally doesn't point to the fuel system but a quick check would be to see if you have gas coming to the engine by removing the fuel line (with a special tool you can purchase cheaply at the parts store) and finding out if you have fuel flow. Did you just put a pump in it or the whole module?

-Dominic

You said you changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump..... was that because the car quit running? when you now turn on the key do you hear the FP spin up?

As Dom was saying the timing belt could be the real issue, How many miles on the car? If it is over 60k Id start looking at the timing belt. there is an upper inspection cover that you can remove  to inspect it. 

Regards,

AF

And my favorite overlooked item that can cause that symptom is the Impact switch in the side foot well. If activated (or if someone kicks it, the car will shut off and not start. Kicker is the fuel pump will not work and won't work even if replaced. I saw one before that the wires has gotten wet and rotted off of the bottom of the switch. I would check that as well as it can also cause those symptoms as well.

-Dominic