FordContour.Org

Transmission problems

Pieloux

Yesterday I did a KOEO test with my Innova code reader. No self test codes (except 111) but the following codes were displayed in the continuous memory : 452 (VSS signal fault) and 628 (converter clutch slippage).

To be sure, I erased the codes, went for a drive and did the test again. The same DTC were displayed.   I also noticed that shifting was very harsh and noisy espacially from P to N and N to D. Could the faulty VSS be the reason for code 628 ? Could it be a problem with the solenoids pack or the valve body ?

Thank you for your feedback

Pieloux

1995 Contour SE (V6 & ATX)

Generally a shorted VSS can cause the 452. I would start with the easy code before diving into the 628. Inspect the VSS harness for frayed or bare wires (common) and repair/replace as necessary.

-Dominic

Thank you.

Due to the age of the vehicle, I am going to replace it. Once it is done I will run the car,  see how the transmission reacts and perform a KOEO.

Pieloux

Just a question :

Are main valve bodies RF3 and RF7 interchangeable ?

My car being a 1995 model, I would assume that the valve body is a F3.

Thks for your assistance.

Pieloux

I don't have enough information to answer that question properly, however it appears the valve bodies are matched to the production date of the transmission itself. The RF3 and RF7 are the valve body casting revisions. And it looks like (RF3) 1995-1997, (RF7) 1998-2000 is how they break down. I don't know if you can swap them as I've never attempted it before.

-Dominic

Thank you for your quick answer.

Acording to Sonnax they are not interchangeable.

Actually Sonnax applies a different stategy when remanufacturing RF3 and RF7 which makes them not intechangeable.

Pieloux