FordContour.Org

electrical problem

mikeyboy

hey kids, here is my problem. i have a 99 svt and during low idle or just as i am getting on the gas at low idle my car misses like a bastard. i have new wires on the way and just replaced the coil pack today and plugs a couple months ago. this may be related to another problem that has been happening. the lights dim with my rpm. if i am at a stop sign idling the lights dim and as i rev up the rpms the lights get to their usual brightness. i miss my 95 it never had an issue till the H20 pump went. :(

hey kids, here is my problem. i have a 99 svt and during low idle or just as i am getting on the gas at low idle my car misses like a bastard. i have new wires on the way and just replaced the coil pack today and plugs a couple months ago. this may be related to another problem that has been happening. the lights dim with my rpm. if i am at a stop sign idling the lights dim and  as i rev up the rpms the lights get to their usual brightness. i miss my 95 it never had an issue till the H20 pump went. :(

Try wires first, make sure you have no oil down the plug wells while you're there.

-Dom

well, i got worried about the oil thing so i went and took a couple of plugs out. there is a hint of oil on the plug threads. :( where do i go from here? is the VC gasket the problem? leaking?

Edited by mikeyboy

well, i got worried about the oil thing so i went and took a couple of plugs out. there is a hint of oil on the plug threads.  :(  where do i go from here? is the VC gasket the problem? leaking?

Oil on the threads is ok, that's a sign of improper torque of the plugs into the cylinder head (bypassing some combustion gasses). What I was referring to was any oil pooling around the plug and contacting the wires (as oil does a good job of conducting electricity).

-Dom

well, i took the plugs out and saw that there was no oil present on any of the other threads other then the first two i pulled and definately no pooling. while i had them out i closed the gap down to .045 and that seemed to do the trick. the car is running a lot better with no signs of misfire.

Well, then you have an issue. Factory gap setting is .054, and running it at .045 is a hotter spark. What spark plugs do you have installed?

Every motor I've ever built, including all the stock motors I've ever serviced used .054 as the gap and never had a stuttering issue. There's more to your problem than you think - Just shrinking the gap to .045 is not a solution.

-Dom

mike if it only runs with closed up gaps you still have an issue...and I doubt it's the wires...check the voltages to the coil and its plug connection....did you put back the ground strap when you changed the coil tower?...

I was going to say it...lol

But then I got busy doing something else and forgot about it.

-Dom

GB for a High Output Alternator?

**Me asks myself why in gods great earth anyone would need that**? Do you realize the Contour comes with the biggest alternator in it's class of car to begin with? 130 AMPS! That's alot more than cars twice it size, and for all the electrical equipment I've ever thrown at my SVT I've never seen it falter.

Plus all you HP critical people, bolting on an higher amperage alternator is going to do hell for your accessory drag. Just think, turning a 140+Amp magneto requires alot more power than a 130 Amp one. I'd rather double up on batteries than mess with the alternator.

-Dom

Totally useless, I wouldn't advocate that if you paid me. I mean, what are you guys thinking you are driving? Huh? An ambulance?...lol

More power requires more power. In an SVT, I'd rather shut off my alternator at times instead of installing a bigger more power hungry one. But I guess if people feel it's use is substantiated...

-Dom

Yeah, and powers a small city.

Hasn't anyone ever heard of "overkill"? Peace of mind is one thing, but 240AMP output means you should park your Contour beside your house, hardwire an inverter into your electrical system and use your car as a backup power supply in event of an emergency. C'mon, I don't think any of us are going to do that - So anyone that spends their money on that is silly. Save the big amperage alternators for trucks and special purpose vehicles (like totally show vehicles with electro-hydraulics and monster stereos). Not on your typical daily driver, or even your semi show vehicle with moderate electrical accessories.

Some complain about fuel mileage now, wait till you see your mileage after installation.... and you paid to get less engine power and mileage <_>

-Dom

C'mon man, I don't think we need to go there. Just the fact people are interested in it because it's "better" is proof enough of the lack of knowledge some people have. If they can peddle it there - I have no intentions of stopping them. There is mutual members that have more common sense than that.... I firmly believe that.

-Dom