FordContour.Org

My Ultimate Wheel Care Guide

Guest DetailingDude

Guest DetailingDude

Here is My "Ultimate Wheel Care Guide".

Editor's Note: I feel like the most of the car care industry has wheel care all wrong. They produce a rather strong wheel acid rather than producing a wheel care system. Zymol is the exception. They have a fantastic wheel care kit. Just remember that your wheels are subject to as much abuse as your paint but in different ways so it is best to be pro-active to damage rather than reactive with chemicals. By that I mean that an ounce of protection goes a long way.

This Winter if your Ride is put away and you are going to methodically clean it up I suggest you take each wheel off and Detail it in your house on some newspaper in front of the TV. Without further ado Here's my Ultimate Wheel Care Guide.......

Chrome and painted lug nuts may scratch during removal and installation. Here's my guide for Safely Removing Lug Nuts:

Before you start make sure that you have the following:

Lug Nut Wrench

Thick plastic Freezer Bag

Jack

Jack Stand

Car Wash Solution

Wash Bucket

Detailing Brush

100% Cotton Towel

Step 0: Make sure that the wheels are cool to the touch.

Step 1: Wash them as you normally would

Step 2: With a Detail Brush get down and clean the recesses as best as possible.

Step 3: Wrap a heavy-duty Plastic Freezer Bag over one Lug Nut. The plastic will stretch but will not tear for metal to metal contact. When using a rag for protection ---- a rag will tear and thus damage the lug nut.

Step 4: Place the Lug Wrench over the Wrapped Lug Nut. Make sure that the Lug Nut remains covered.

Step 5: Position your body in such a way to eliminate the effect of torque on your back.

Step 6: Release the Lug Nut and give two full rotations.

Step 7: Repeat Steps 4, 5, and 6 in a 'Star Pattern'. Start with a fresh section of plastic for each lug.

Step 8: Jack up your Wheels one at a time and secure a Jack Stand in the appropriate support area.

Step 9: Remove the Lug Nuts and store in a safe place.

Step 10: Remove the Wheel.

Guest DetailingDude

Here's my guide to Detailing your wheels:

Before you start make sure you have the following:

Clay Bar

Non-Abrasive Paint Cleaner and Applicator

Wax and Applicator

MicroFiber Towel

Step 0: Make sure that the wheels are cool to the touch.

Step 1: Wash them as you normally would

Step 2: With a detail brush get down and clean the recesses as best as possible.

Step 3: Use your clay bar to clean up the surfaces.

Step 4: Use a non-abrasive paint cleanser to polish the surfaces. If you need to polish the wheels use the appropriate polishing material. Zymol's HD Cleanse, Lusso Paint Revitalizing Creme or the equivalent.

Step 5: Wax (I suggest that you apply a few coats) Your wax can be your regular car wax be that Zaino, Pinnacle, Zymol, Lusso, P21S, Mother's or Meguiar's. If you have chrome wheels DO NOT wax them as chrome needs to breathe.

Guest DetailingDude

Here's my guide for maintaining your wheels: For best results wash once a week

Before you start make sure you have the following:

Spray Bottle with Car Wash Solution diluted 35:1 with water

Wheel Detailing Brush

2x 100% Cotton Towel (Hand Towel Size)

Garden Hose

Step 1: Make sure wheels are cool to the touch

Step 2: Spray off as much brake dust as possible

Step 3: Spray on diluted Car Wash Solution

Step 4: With one Cotton Towel wash the Wheel

Step 5: Hose off

Step 6: Spray on diluted Car Wash Solution

Step 7: With the Wheel Detailing Brush clean the recesses

Step 8: Hose off

Note: Wash all 4 wheels, then wash and dry your Ride's body then dry off the wheels with the other Cotton Towel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

For someone looking to refinish a set of wheels with a polished/machined finish on the lip and "dish" part of the wheel, what product do you suggest that would polish the aluminum wheel sufficiently but will not have adverse affects when the wheel is clearcoated. If such a polish cannot be found do you suggest cleaning the wheel after polishing with a solvent such as acetone, or paint thinner, then rinsing with isoproply alcohol? not sure if you know the answer but i thought id ask.

great post! this guide will be very usefull in keeping your wheels looking good.

Thank's

• 6 months later...