Sign in to follow this  
gotageta5oh

Power Windows

Well I have been a long time lurker but I seem to be baffled right now.

My driver side window on my 96 Mystique is AFU. Sometimes it goes up and down without problems sometimes it goes halfway down and stops and then it won't come back up :mad: I have replaced the switch and regulator and the problem still persists. All the wiring and connections look good as well.

My question is does the Power Window Relay in the drivers door go bad very often?. And do you think it could be the cause of my problems?

Relays can go bad. Do you hear it click when you press the switch? Motors can go bad too, and sometimes the tracks start to move or wear out on windows.

The relay only affects downward operation (not up). If the relay failed, it would fail to go anywhere at all. I would check the motor - As a worn motor will work somewhat and then quit. Once it cools a little it will move some more... and so on. Regulators and tracks aren't a big issue with these cars - But an electric motor issue is common across all models.

-Dom

I have a new regulator and it came with a new motor. I also have a new switch.

Just seems strange. And the relay was the last obvious item I could think of, but I can't seem to find anyone else that has a problem with the relay.

...never had any issue with the windows but ,from what you discribe,sounds like a limit switch is out of wack re setting/adjustment and is swithing off the motor mid stream....

I dunno. I am going to see if I can source a relay cheap to give it a shot. The reg/motor assembly and the switch are new and all of the wiring/connections check good. I'll post my results as soon as I get a relay.

My 1996 Contour is doing the exact same thing to me. Sometimes I'll press the down button and the window goes down, sometimes I press the up button and it goes down and won't come back up, sometimes I'll press the down button and nothing happens (when window is up.) This is really putting a "sore on my aura". However, when it does this I pound on the door mightily with my fist, right above the power button cluster panel (I've already shattered the trim piece from doing this and must replace it.) This makes the window go back up when I press the button.

I DETEST power windows. What brainiac thought these things up anyway? If you accidentally drive into a body of water and are submerged, what then? Now imagine a hand crank instead. All you do is turn the thing by hand and the window comes down, allowing you to escape. And what if the window fails (as does mine) when you're trying to lock the car up so you can go into Walmart or Costco? Looks like you just wasted your time driving 20 miles to the store because you can't go inside and leave your car open to the world.

I don't know what's causing this, but if there's any way to convert that window to a hand crank, I would do it. Otherwise, I wish I knew what part to replace so that the thing worked the way it's supposed to. Any help would be appreciated. :help:

Many times when there is a problem like that it has to do with the master window switch, but not always. I have found a bad switch at another window causing problems with the master switch. It could also be the relay as down power does route through that, but I would first look at the window track itself. sometimes it can get out of alignment and cause the window to bind. I have sprayed silicone on the welt and they work fine.

IF you hear the relay click then it should be working. Another place to look is at the connectors themselves, when I test mine I take a jumper and run the window without the buttons. Yes they can be a problem but to me they are worth it.

Regards,

AF

Many times when there is a problem like that it has to do with the master window switch, but not always. I have found a bad switch at another window causing problems with the master switch. It could also be the relay as down power does route through that, but I would first look at the window track itself. sometimes it can get out of alignment and cause the window to bind. I have sprayed silicone on the welt and they work fine.

IF you hear the relay click then it should be working. Another place to look is at the connectors themselves, when I test mine I take a jumper and run the window without the buttons. Yes they can be a problem but to me they are worth it.

Regards,

AF

AF, thanks very much for replying! I'm also wondering if there's a problem with the "One-Touch Window Down Module". I have the Ford shop manual, am waiting for a day when it's not as hot as the Sahara to try and fix the problem.

It could be but we don't see that much with any that aren't early 98. All of the 95-97 buttons are the same and are interchangeable. Ford did a different set up with the early 98's an they didn't work out very well.

In your car it is not really a module, just how long you hold the button down that triggers the relay or not.

Let us know what you find.

AF

It could be but we don't see that much with any that aren't early 98. All of the 95-97 buttons are the same and are interchangeable. Ford did a different set up with the early 98's an they didn't work out very well.

In your car it is not really a module, just how long you hold the button down that triggers the relay or not.

Let us know what you find.

AF

Thanks, but I don't remember how long I would need to hold down the button. At this point, I don't want to try because I might get stuck with my window down and I don't have a secure place to park the car.

Regards,

AF

Curious what you mean by "welt". Are you talking about the rubber tracks in the door's window hole which you can get at by lowering the window?

TIA

I am not AF, but I believe he is referring to the "fuzzy" window track within the door frame. These get old as well as dirty. Spraying them with silicon spray, as Aussie mentioned, will many times stop your problems due to less drag on the window motor.

I am not AF, but I believe he is referring to the "fuzzy" window track within the door frame. These get old as well as dirty. Spraying them with silicon spray, as Aussie mentioned, will many times stop your problems due to less drag on the window motor.

Sorry it took so long for me to answer. Thanks to you and AF for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Keep us posted. I see you are in Southern Oregon - hit us on the PNW Forum - GOOD LUCK!

Keep us posted. I see you are in Southern Oregon - hit us on the PNW Forum - GOOD LUCK!

Well here's what happened. I went out to the car, put the key in the ignition and turned it to ACC. The window wouldn't work when I pressed the *down* button. I started the car and pressed the *down* button again, still no action. Then I pressed the *up* button quickly instead, and the window came all the way down and wouldn't budge.

I left the car running and hit the guides with a can of "Gunk Liquid Wrench Heavy-Duty Silicone Spray Lubricant", using the little red tube that it came with. Then I pressed the *up* button and the window went up like new! I cycled it up and down about six times and then shut the motor off.

I'm going to do the same thing to the other windows. Don't know if the problem (LF) window will continue working, but so far your tip did the job. Only problem is that now I'm out $67 for the new regulator and motor. Wish I'd at least given your tip a try before ordering the parts. :wallbash:

Live and learn, but at my age you'd think I'd know better. Thanks again to all you guys for your help!

Well here's what happened. I went out to the car, put the key in the ignition and turned it to ACC. The window wouldn't work when I pressed the *down* button. I started the car and pressed the *down* button again, still no action. Then I pressed the *up* button quickly instead, and the window came all the way down and wouldn't budge.

I left the car running and hit the guides with a can of "Gunk Liquid Wrench Heavy-Duty Silicone Spray Lubricant", using the little red tube that it came with. Then I pressed the *up* button and the window went up like new! I cycled it up and down about six times and then shut the motor off.

I spoke too soon. Just went back outside today and tried the window again to see if it still was working correctly. It did the exact same thing it did yesterday. After applying more silicone spray, I cycled the window a few more times and this time, it stuck when all the way down until I pounded on the door above the handle cup again.

Guess that's not the problem. Maybe I didn't waste my money buying a new regulator and motor. I'm going to do some more research online into the problem. It acts like a bad switch, but that might be due to the regulator being worn out.

I had a very similar problem on a 99 Miata. Mine was almost completely stuck (it would only roll about an inch down from the top and the motor sounded like it was struggling) I took the door apart to clean the guides and tracks. Then I lubricated them again with Napa Sil-Glyde. Your problem could be that the guides and tracks are still too dirty and/or lack lubrication. Lubricating a dirty track will only push the filth around inside. There could be some physical impedance or the circuit might be shorting somewhere intermittenly. Have you tried measuring the voltage and amperage across the circuit as you roll the window up/down. This will help you eliminate any electrical problems.

IMO, there might be a large chunk of dirt rolling around in your window track that makes the window stick in random places at random times.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.