Sign in to follow this  
number1_or2

a/c blowin no cold air help please.

Last week my a/c was blowng air not cold just air. Then I put three 12 oz. cans of freon. Things seem fine now its doing it again. Though sometimes the cool air comes on for a bit when it wants too but thats mostly at night. Now I have gauges but I don't know what the pressure should be in my car. Look at my signature for my type of contour.

fyi: If it has anything to do with my cabin filter in anyway (i don't really know) I'm replacing it today.

your contour should take no more than 18 oz of freon, anymore any you must have a leak. about 35b to 40 is your pressure i believe. your accumulator located under the battery is common to go bad on those. look underneath the cat at the accumulator and see if there is moisture on it. if there is thats prolly the prob :as-if:

first off the AC system holds 26oz of R-134A and 7 oz of oil ....

second don't just dump R-134A into the system, it just doesn't work like that.

if the air was cold and now it is warm and not cooling you have a leak, and with you overfilling the system by alot, air + coolant you might have damage something, time to go to a shop

you can service the ac yourself but you need a gage set, and a vacuum pump and you can do this if the system is already open as it is illegal to discharge R-134A to my knowledge

there is a good chance that the dry/accumulator has rusted out and needs to be replaced. wha you can do yourself is get a R-134a can with u/v die and find your leak.

the low side pressure is normally between 25 and 35 psi at 70 degrees, at 85/90 degrees it is going to be up around 45 to 55 psi, at this time the high side pressure should be around 175 to 225 psi ...

if you are filling the system and the low pressure side is reading the right pressure but the high side doesn't reach the right pressure you have a leak ....

also the compressor has a certain amount of on and off time depending on the tempurature, this relates to the pressure readings, needless to say there is a spec for this and you need to know it to fill the system correctly.

and if you need to know I just did this myself with pretty good sucsess, I replaced the dryer and vacuumed down the system and recharged my system and a friends, both AC are nice and cold now .... well they are alittle weak when it is very hot but they work....

note the 95 shop manual says not to fill the system from the small cans, they don't have the pressure to fill the system with a gas charge, you can liquid charge but you run the risk of slugging the compressor and that it bad

also you need to check the pressure before filling because you a/c clutch air gap might be to large and this will prevent the compressor then engaging, this is also spotted if your ac works when it is cooler out but stops after some driving or increased temp ....

your system is low if the system fast cycles and if it doesn't kick on the system is either empty or way over charged ...

if the air was cold and now it is warm and not cooling you have a leak, and with you overfilling the system by alot, air + coolant you might have damage something, time to go to a shop

you can service the ac yourself but you need a gage set, and a vacuum pump and you can do this if the system is already open as it is illegal to discharge R-134A to my knowledge

there is a good chance that the dry/accumulator has rusted out and needs to be replaced. wha you can do yourself is get a R-134a can with u/v die and find your leak.

the low side pressure is normally between 25 and 35 psi at 70 degrees, at 85/90 degrees it is going to be up around 45 to 55 psi, at this time the high side pressure should be around 175 to 225 psi ...

if you are filling the system and the low pressure side is reading the right pressure but the high side doesn't reach the right pressure you have a leak ....

also the compressor has a certain amount of on and off time depending on the tempurature, this relates to the pressure readings, needless to say there is a spec for this and you need to know it to fill the system correctly.

and if you need to know I just did this myself with pretty good sucsess, I replaced the dryer and vacuumed down the system and recharged my system and a friends, both AC are nice and cold now .... well they are alittle weak when it is very hot but they work....

note the 95 shop manual says not to fill the system from the small cans, they don't have the pressure to fill the system with a gas charge, you can liquid charge but you run the risk of slugging the compressor and that it bad

also you need to check the pressure before filling because you a/c clutch air gap might be to large and this will prevent the compressor then engaging, this is also spotted if your ac works when it is cooler out but stops after some driving or increased temp ....

your system is low if the system fast cycles and if it doesn't kick on the system is either empty or way over charged ...

It was the thermostat.

Should you vacuum down the system before adding the refrigerant with the dye also?

Does the oil go in first? If so, if you find a leak should you get more oil for after you fix the leak?

Since small cans are bad and liquid charge is risky, should you look for large bottles of r134a ?

My compressor just keeps cycling cause its empty.

It was the thermostat.

I am experiencing similar problem. AC works sometimes and not other time. It has a mind of its own, it seems.

Are you saying the problem is fixed by replacing thermostat? I do not know how the thermostat is affecting the A/C system. Your reply would be appreciated.

Thermostats do go bad, but if you don't know a\c's don't mess with them take em to a shop. The oil is in the refrigerant it cannot be exposed to air, do not add oil, too much oil in those is worae than too little. If you get the can with the guage and follow the directions properly, it will tell you if it even needs refrigerant.

Also, a\c's don't just get low, if its low it has a leak and someone who knows what they are doing should evacuate the system and fix it, you can't just add more and have it work right.

I think in my case since the A/C sometimes blows the cold air, refrigerant is holding the pressure. It is pretty hard to tell anything without a proper measuring devices....

I am questioning may be the clutch on the compressor is not getting engaged, sometimes. Sorry to gear off a bit from original post but any help would be appreciated.

But then as the original poster stated his problem is solved with something related to thermostat. He also had A/C working sometimes and sometimes not. Again, is there any relationship of how A/C works with thermostat? My understanding was that thermostat basically open/close at certain temperature of coolant, affecting coolant temperature. By that I think it also maintains certain temperature of coolant. Does the temperature of coolant affects the function of A/C?

Sorry, so many questions....

I did a system check and found my leak. Its in one of my metal lines. How do i replace it? everywhere ive looked tells me to take it somewhere. I cant find details on how to replace the lines.

If you have lost ALL your pressure, removing lines/hoses is not complicated. If you have any charge left (compressor cycles on/off), then have your A/C system evacuated by a shop that has the required equipment/experience.  Opening a charged A/C system line/hose can be very dangerous, as well as illegal.

An A/C decoupling tool is used to disconnect the lines; not at all unlike the fuel lines. Sizes differ and are denoted by a color code scheme based on the color of the plastic "cover" over the coupling (might be missing) - (see below pic).

You will want to replace the O rings (green) with the correct ones; carefully remove and take with you to parts store in order to correctly size replacements - very critical step often overlooked, as leaks at these couplings are very common.

8078d1116857782-i-am-having-trouble-removing-c-discharge-hose-9f_1.jpg