Sign in to follow this  
rcarter37

Quarter Tank Fuel Cuttoff

I have a 2000 svt Contour. I've had it since April. As long as I've had it, I have problem with higher RPM acceleration when I am below a quarter tank. It gets to about 5 grand and bogs almost like there is an intentional fuel cut off. Is it possible that this is normal? If not has anyonw else esperienced this and/or know what it is?

Thanks

Rob

Guest D's nuts
I have a 2000 svt Contour. I've had it since April. As long as I've had it, I have problem with higher RPM acceleration when I am below a quarter tank. It gets to about 5 grand and bogs almost like there is an intentional fuel cut off. Is it possible that this is normal? If not has anyonw else esperienced this and/or know what it is?

Thanks

Rob

Im not sure if this is it or not but check and see if ur IMRC is opening up ur secondaries on ur intake. THe IMRC is the little box under the plastic cover that says 2.5 DOCH duratec. YOu dont have to take it up just look at the lower intake and theres like a linkage at the end of it right under the throttle body. Just look at the linkage and rev it up to 4,000 or higher and you should see the linkage move to open the secondaries. Just and thought

.....and the clogged sock etc causes the pump to work hard and overheat.....Don't risk it,change the pump!(Ford know of this issue re Recall/TSB on some Cougars and a lot of Focus,get the revised 'uprated' pump kit)

It's in the tank. How much? -- Depends on what the bloodsuckers in your area charge. :angry:

Tank is accessible from under your rear seat, but not exactly a job for the faint-hearted, nor the chronic tobacco addict (hmmm, raw gas, open container, lit cig, leaning over wrestling - :blink: ). Haven't pulled on Contour, but prob same as most recent Fords, and by the time you get to the filter sock/bag/element, you might as well replace pump.

If you do yourself, do a search here on fuel pump to see comments from the master, Terry H., w/regard to another 2000 CSVT recently. In particular with non-return system swirl pot must be replaced -- which mail order/online rebuild kits do not give you (I believe). In any case, reputable shop should be able to do for you and should NOT cost all that much, but I don't have access to my flat rate book at the moment.

Mike

Edited by SeiCoRacing

Oh, BTW, get a "shop manual" -- I recommend getting the Ford Technical Service Manual (CD) and, if you're not real good at using your imagination at the sparse directions, and/or want to see real, but low-res photos, also get yourself a Haynes or Chilton's manual. :blink:

I prefer to have both, and then cross-ref to the CD, just in case. Oh, and don't be too surprized when they seem to contradict each other -- Ford is minimalistic, assuming you basically know what you're doing, and the other two often just go at things their "own way." :huh:

If in doubt, after you've puzzled over all three, drop a note to Terry or BuckeyeSVT. They are the pros. B)

(Not me, I gave up on working on this beast a while back, other than routine maintenance, and long ago quit hanging half-upside-down to reach something that some design engineer decided fitted "just right" just about in the middle of the chassis under the back seat.) :rolleyes:

Edited by SeiCoRacing

Rob,

Just joined the forum, but I agree with Mike. I had the same problem with my '99 when I bought it in January; the fuel pump cured the problem & for me it was worth paying the $$ to have someone else do the dirty work. You'll be so happy when the job is done; no more filling up at 1/2 tank or wondering if the car is going to die somewhere. Good luck!

Dan