FordContour.Org

Two Toned Interior How To

BADEVO

Here is the how to a bunch of folks asked me to do for my door panel thread.

One

Mar-Hyde Total Prep the whole panel so it comes out clean

DSCF3027.jpg

Use a credit card with a small cloth on it to remove the dirt from in between your grooves first.

DSCF3033.jpg

DSCF3034.jpg

Next start masking off your surfaces that will not be dyed

DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3038.jpg

DSCF3039.jpg

Next use a heat gun or heat lamp to warm the surfaces if possible.

Next spray your base coat very lightly

DSCF3041.jpg

Continue to apply more coats as needed

DSCF3043.jpg

Let it dry for at least 5 to 6 hours. It may seem dry to the touch but wont be dry all the way through

DSCF3076.jpg

i am going to have to show you how i did this. that is black microsuede and the speaker grille is a cloth that is acustically transparent. that was my 1st attempt at doing a door panel. the headliner, A, B, and C pillars are also all done with the suede....and the trim inside is all painted in the shop where the car was before the accident. oh and i put black carpet in.

Ben

post-3-1170727757_thumb.jpg

post-3-1170728036_thumb.jpg

i am going to have to show you how i did this. that is black microsuede and the speaker grille is a cloth that is acustically transparent. that was my 1st attempt at doing a door panel. the headliner, A, B, and C pillars are also all done with the suede....and the trim inside is all painted in the shop where the car was before the accident. oh and i put black carpet in.

Ben

Thats pretty good. I can see where you had the material bunch up a little on you at the bottom of the handle portion. Best way to avoid that is to use your adhesive when its very very tack, and use heat to make it plyable while your working it. FOr a 1st time project it looks pretty good. I could have wrapped everything, but I didnt want to invest that much time taking apart the door panels on my 1000 dollar daily driver.

i did that about 3 years ago. it was very time comsuming and still have 3 more door panels to go. i have cloth panels to start with and i just sprayed the glue over the existing cloth and went from there. i want to rip that off and redo it again to make it right. but i have no time before we deploy and plus the car is in ohio...

Ben

• 1 month later...

That looks great!! Unfortunate for me, I have the door panels with cloth (which I will never understand why Ford doesn't stick with one color cloth instead of the mutli-color kind). I was told I will have to take the door panel apart to get it wrapped first in whatever color or material I would like. Anyways, your door panels look tight!! Great Job!!

That looks great!! Unfortunate for me, I have the door panels with cloth (which I will never understand why Ford doesn't stick with one color cloth instead of the mutli-color kind). I was told I will have to take the door panel apart to get it wrapped first in whatever color or material I would like. Anyways, your door panels look tight!! Great Job!!

my interior is that brown multicolored material, i took one look at that and changed it the first sunny day. while i dont have pics to prove it, the material actually came out really nice and it has lasted about 5 years now.

follow the same steps as the "how to" to prep where you want to change the material color. then spray it with " botanical/flower" dye. stuff florists use to paint fake flowers. you can get it at any fabric store or craft supply.

I was afraid since i used black it would come off on my clothes or fade quickly. it did not rub off ( the fuzzy material will rub off if you scratch it with your nails but its the material fibers not dye), a little fading but my car is 11 years old so it looks natural.

if you try this, i would hit the door panel with a stiff brush to rid the material of loose fibers first. and put multiple "coats" of dye on. I only did about 2, i bet 4 or 5 would prevent the little fading i did have. and maybe hit it again with scotchguard..( also available at the craft store)

good luck

• 1 month later...

hmmm how well does the painting yourself work ? Im hesitant it will be sticky, or chip off. I'm looking at sending parts away to a place - and only cuz I am looking for a WOOD GRAIN look - that EVERYONE seems to not like..lol......

Fabric tips are cool too - I have odd gray pattern stuff. I am plan on buying some designer fabric ( i.e. Gucci, Louis Vutton etc... ) There are places that sell it by the yard online.....

hmmm how well does the painting yourself work ? Im hesitant it will be sticky, or chip off. I'm looking at sending parts away to a place - and only cuz I am looking for a WOOD GRAIN look - that EVERYONE seems to not like..lol......

Fabric tips are cool too - I have odd gray pattern stuff. I am plan on buying some designer fabric ( i.e. Gucci, Louis Vutton etc... ) There are places that sell it by the yard online.....

The painting works very well it just depends on the prep you put into it. There are products that help with that part too. As shown the real trick is to add the color in coats a bit at a time. I have done several cars using SEM products including my 95 Tour and I am working on my 99 right now.

As for the wood grain I like that too and got the radio / HVAC bezel from a Mystique, but it doesn't fit in my 99 tour... dammmmm. I saw on line some wood graining kits for specific cars but wow! they're sure a lot of loot....

BTW 99&00 Mystique wood grain radio/hvac bezels work on 98-00 Tours...... ;)

Edited by Aussie Ford

• 3 months later...

I have recently (while my car has been down for a month) painted my interior, the one part I cannot figure out, and keep in mind this is a 96 contour GL 2.0

How do I take off the passanger side air vent in order to paint it. I have gotten everything else done except for this. I cannot find any screws, bolts or clips to easily pull this off.

I have been told I have to go in through the firewall to undo this part?

I have recently (while my car has been down for a month) painted my interior, the one part I cannot figure out, and keep in mind this is a 96 contour GL 2.0

How do I take off the passanger side air vent in order to paint it. I have gotten everything else done except for this. I cannot find any screws, bolts or clips to easily pull this off.

I have been told I have to go in through the firewall to undo this part?

No, behind the glove box and up in that way. Unfortunately it is screwed in, so it doesn't just pop out.

-Dom

• 2 years later...

Finished product back in place.

DSCF3085.jpg

I did almost the same thing i did the speakers and the carpet and door handels and most of the dash next i am doing custom seats and i am putting swad on the roof and seats pics coming soon!!!

No, behind the glove box and up in that way. Unfortunately it is screwed in, so it doesn't just pop out.

-Dom

I just used a screwdriver and poped mine off!!

• 1 year later...