FordContour.Org

New Play Toy

BuckeyeSVT

I came across this car and couldn't pass it up, 1996 Ford Taurus SHO - 114,000 miles. It's been sitting for exactly 2 years due to a camshaft issue and the owner gave up on fixing it because his mechanic couldn't figure out the camshaft timing. So, now I own it. It has every option Ford put on that car... Autolamp, ECC, JBL... Nice ride.

The fact it has the Yamaha/Duratec V8 doesn't hurt either...lol. It's currently parked in my new shop I just moved into this past weekend... So as I get time I'll get around to looking at it... I've got a couple of Cougar's with engine problems I've got to get done first before I start working on it.

-Dom

Shop_013.JPGShop_007.JPGShop_008.JPGShop_009.JPGShop_010.JPG

Guest D's nuts

im guessing it doesnt even crank?I herd someone saying something about those are bad for breaking cam gears or something. Never herd of a car doing that but w/e

im guessing it doesnt even crank?I herd someone saying something about those are bad for breaking cam gears or something. Never herd of a car doing that but w/e

You would be guessing wrong. They don't break the cam gears - They are splined and after a period of time the gear becomes loose and spins on the shaft. This one was welded back in place, but the mechanic couldn't figure out how to time the two cams together... I'm sure it's not that hard.

Congratulations on the new shop Dom!! ;)

Thanks, it was a rough weekend of moving cars and all my tools\stuff (Especially since the Taurus came from the Snow Belt area and it was a disaster up there when we picked it up).

-Dom

That v-8 is a Yamaha design-I don't think that Duratec applies here. I have owned 2 SHO's(3.2 Yamaha fair). They are good cars. That year did have a cam sprocket issue. I hope that the person who welded it knew what they were doing as heat can warp the cam causing damage as well. The trans also has issues. Did you get it for free? With a little spit and shine it will be a good car. Look for a 3.0 stick for a fun ride-Mine were auto boxes. Still fast-

M

Guest D's nuts

I dont know about those sho's seat but if theyre anything like ny gf 01 taurus leathers seat. They suck ass. Itsl ike riding on cardboard or something. And if the cam gear isnt working properly I think that woul fall under the catagory of broke

I for one would like to check out the shop. (sometime)

Let's have a meet there.

/ZZZ

When i get all moved in and setup the way I want - Plus get out some of the cars I have in there working on I will see if there's enough interest for a meet. It's a heated shop - So we could do a mod meet...

-Dom

I'll come out for a mod meet...if by mod you mean...install a 3L in my car :P

I will be offering that service here shortly, I just have a backlog of engines to install (normal 2.5L replacements for spun bearing issues). Once I get those cleared up I'll determine how much the whole conversion will cost and put together a price sheet for services.

-Dom

Is that a cougar I spot up in front of the SHO ???

Yes, that is. I currently have 2 Cougars at my shop (both nice cars for sale by an aquaintance) that are getting motor transplants. This one is a 2002 XR 5spd loaded with 30K - They original owner never changed his oil and the dealership who traded it for him blew it up. So, next engine please...lol. There is a 99 as well with an automatic trans that needs an engine as well, that one is next.

The Cougar also had some interesting front end problems, seems like the last owner removed the bumper and left all the clips out of it and also the reinforcement loose... So I have it apart while I'm working on the motor to get it back together correctly.

-Dom

Here's some pics:

Cougar and a Probe in for motor work:

Newshop_002.JPG

My nice roll around table that keeps things off of the floor (covered with an old bedspread I had laying around to prevent scratching):

Newshop_008.JPG

Couple of crate used 2.5L motors, low miles I might add...

Newshop_007.JPG

I have more cars coming in... I should be busy for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I installed a battery in the SHO this weekend and tried to fire her up. Well, it starts and runs if you hold the throttle - Sounds like the timing is about 180 degrees out of normal. It will crank and fire but run sporadically and not stay running on it's own. I'm almost wondering if the guy when he put it back together put the crank trigger plate in the wrong position - The motor does not knock and doesn't really backfire - It just fails to idle and runs pretty crappy. Looks like it's time to dig into the motor some and investigate...

-Dom

• 1 month later...

Yes, the spoiler gives new meaning to "whale tail" however I'm not going to mod this car so it can stay exactly as is. I also just picked up a 98 Mystique LS 2.5L/MTX for a song... Now my shop is filling up with my own vehicles...lol

-Dom

the "skateboard" spoiler on the V8 SHO's is proven to be functional, designed in a wind tunnel to work with the bubble shape of the Gen 3 Taurus body.... they are ugly, but they do work.

Well, it will be a while before I know if it works or not as the front 4 cylinders have 0-35psi compression and the rear has all 165-185 psi of compression. Apparently there is more to this problem than i am seeing, and the head needs to come off to tell why.

-Dom