FordContour.Org

New Play Toy

BuckeyeSVT

Dom, if you want a challenge... scrap the Yamaha V8 and install a 4.6L V8... believe it or not, it fits... look at a Lincoln Continental... they are built on the same platform as the Taurus. I know of a couple swaps in progress, but so far no one has completed it.

Dom, if you want a challenge... scrap the Yamaha V8 and install a 4.6L V8... believe it or not, it fits... look at a Lincoln Continental... they are built on the same platform as the Taurus. I know of a couple swaps in progress, but so far no one has completed it.

Continental uses the DOHC 280HP 4.6L. Problem is the engine compartment isn't that deep (from my quick estimates). I'm going to drop the engine/trans from the bottom and pull the front head and see what damage is done. If it's just valves it will come apart and get new valves and seals, new shims and go back together. If it's worse and it did bottom end damage (holes in pistons) I will see about a replacement engine. All in all, it's a nice car - Just need to get it going, I'm tired of looking at it sitting in the corner of my shop...lol

-Dom

P.S. A Lincoln LS 3.9L would fit perfectly in that same spot... measured one last night. The only problem is the mounting is all wrong and the Taurus has hydraulic mounts in the front and rear lower block area. I guess a little creative engineering could resolve that issue..

some pics to give you an idea..... the hood closes without hitting the engine. The subframe for the Taurus and Continental are the same, and share the same transmission

post_19_1139547740.jpg

post_19_1139548464.jpg

post_19_1139549234.jpg

post_19_1139549922.jpg

Guest D's nuts

taurus might weight less. Not eally sure though, but if it isnt I wouldnt see any point in doing it neither

96-99 V8 SHO's have 235hp 230tq and weigh about 3500lbs

The '99 Continental's 4.6L has 275hp 275tq. Both cars use the AX4N FWD ATX.

Main problem is everything on the front accessory drive of the motor is different. Not to mention the exhaust isn't the same as well. This isn't just a 3.0L conversion where some pieces can be used over again, this is throw everything out and start from scratch.

I'm dropping the subframe to work on the motor, if it's shot I may consider alternatives - However this looks like more of a project than I want to get myself into.

-Dom

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I had time enough from other projects to devote attention to the Taurus. It has quite a few bent intake valves on the front bank of cylinders. There was really no piston damage, only witness marks on the pistons that you can see where they touched. So, new valves and probably all gaskets and it should be ready to go.

Pics:

Picture50907_008.jpg Picture50907_010.jpg Picture50907_009.jpg Picture50907_011.jpg

Picture50907_013.jpg Picture50907_015.jpg Picture50907_017.jpg Picture50907_019.jpg

Needless to say I wonder how much all the parts will cost...lol

-Dom

Ohh, it's definately worth the time as the rest of the car is cherry. I can't wait to see how it performs once the motor is back together and running normally.

-Dom

I got to drive my buddy's '96 SHO a few weeks ago, and now I understand why owners love them so much. Those V8's are very nice.

Check those front subframe mounts. They tend to go bad. One popular fix is to replace the front subframe mounts with new rear mounts.

The front right subframe mount is done, the left front balljoint is done... lol. It needs some maintenance to get it back up to par. However, it is a nice car and I will get all the problems straightened out and make it a daily driver (I'm in no hurry). I had to take it apart the way I did because the left front balljoint lower stud absolutely refused to release even after heating it. So, in the meanwhile I guess I'll work on that while the rest of the car is off the subframe and replace the control arm bushings, inner tie rod end on the passenger side (loose) and other things I noticed while it was apart.

Once done, should be like new. I plan on completely reconditioning the car... And possibly selling it once finished (haven't decided yet - depends on how much fun it is to drive when it's finished).

-Dom

• 1 month later...

Fast forward to now... Found a replacement engine with 78K on it. Installed it and am nearly ready to get it on the road. Here's a couple of pics from tonight , I didn't get around to hooking up the y-pipe to the converter so it's a little loud (but I love it the way it is). I wish the V8 would fit in the Contour, but I measured - no hope there.

-Dom

Taurus_001.JPG

Taurus_002.JPG

Taurus.wmv

Movie_0001.wmv

• 1 month later...
Fast forward to now... Found a replacement engine with 78K on it. Installed it and am nearly ready to get it on the road. Here's a couple of pics from tonight , I didn't get around to hooking up the y-pipe to the converter so it's a little loud (but I love it the way it is).

OH YEAH! I've always been intrigued by the V8 SHOs, as I'm just about to get rid of my '98 3.0 Taurus. They're bubbly, but I like the looks of that generation Taurus.

• 1 month later...

Maybe you guys already know this, but at 82.4mm x 79.5 mm the bore and stroke of the SHO 3.4L V8 are the same as yer 2.5 litre engines. Regardless, you've found yourself a decent vehicle Dom.

Edited by 99VCTContour

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i got rid of my 96 sho to get a csvt. the exhaust note with flowmaster 40's is phenominal.

ditch the IMRC box and either wire the flaps open or remove them al together. they do nothing for power and they just gum up and break cables.

however you probably know these things already haha

changing the DPFE is a real cherry on that bad boy too.

i wish i would have kept mine, to be honest. i NEVER got stuck in the snow with that thing and i have had nothing but problems driving the contour in the snow. im sure its just my tires cause they are the v tread type and im sure they arent great for the snow.

oh and get a 2nd gen trans cooler for it.

EDIT: mtx75 does not fit or bolt up to this engine. cv shaft would have to populate the same area as the oil pan in certain spots on the passenger side of the car. there is a thread on shoforum.com where a guy used a mazda transaxle on his v8 sho. pretty sweet

Edited by flyguyeddy