Sign in to follow this  
Terry Haines

Diff Repair 'Cost Savers'

OK,so you have an MTX75 and the diff has blown.You don't want to pay for a Quaife or a Torsen because you don't need it.All you need is a new/good used diff unit that will last.You don't have a 3.0 or a tuned SVT etc.Well some of the Ford diffs are now obsolete.Moral here is MTX stoc diffs can be interchanged.We have stocks of the 95>97 'stronger' open diffs,all used but in good condition...But what about a bit stronger than that?

Well now we have this:-

*On Hand stocks of the current Ford of Europe MTX75 'open' diffs..NEW

*These have *Thicker / uprated planet gear cross shaft(see pic)*Latest level uprated diff gears*

*Are supplied with NEW diff bearings pressed on and outer races(YOU or shop MUST set preload shimming when fitted)*

*New speedo drive gear(Note if you have a Focus or later trans that has a trigger wheel Vs the conventionl gear you will have to swap them*

This can save you a bit if you want to save cash on your trans repair.Pic is below and price etc is in the classifeds....

newfoediff.JPG

If you would like an open diff sheet that covers the new and used open diffs we offer ,drop me an e mail at the adress in my sig.Title it'Open Diffs' and I will send the sheet as an attachment (Word with pics)to my reply.

Terry,

I recently spoke with a dealership and was told that anytime a new and/or revised part is developed, it supersedes all previous models. For instance, an MTX75 diff from 2005 will update and make obsolete the diff from 1995. And that they will all carry the same part number.

Is this true?

Thank you.

....the early levels will be dropped and the most current will become the 'norm'...but only on parts that are USA spec.The Euro open diffs we have are not the same as the current difs in USA...If you have a pic of what is now considered 'current' in USA we will compare ...

120.00 from Tousley Ford. I can't afford a Torsen just yet and want to try something in the meantime.

After that, it will go out to Mikronite for them to process it. This is mainly for my own curiosity to see if a Mikronited diff can handle any track time. And also to see what the wear and tear is like.

Read up on it here www.mikronite.com or www.cranecams.com

Edited by 69Boss302

..I know the process but have to say that I doubt it will help any of the diffs with 'sintered'/PM gears...as they are, apart from the 95>97 level difs.I have coated some of those(95>97) and they appear to last very well but the weak point on the 95>97 is the 'X' shaft ,not the gears.On the later Euro spec X shaft the diameter has been increased..Be interested to see if that is the case on the USA offered parts.

Just a thought.be sure that when you strip down the diff gears from the carrier,that you mark each gears relative position to the carrier along with the shims/bearings that go with it.Need to have the sun and planet gears go back into the same positions they were removed from...and the roll pin is a metric size,normal 'inch' types won't work.. ;)

..I know the process but have to say that I doubt it will help any of the diffs with 'sintered'/PM gears...as they are, apart from the 95>97 level difs.I have coated some of those(95>97) and they appear to last very well but the weak point on the 95>97 is the 'X' shaft ,not the gears.On the later Euro spec X shaft the diameter has been increased..Be interested to see if that is the case on the USA offered parts.

Just a thought.be sure that when you strip down the diff gears from the carrier,that you mark each gears relative position to the carrier along with the shims/bearings that go with it.Need to have the sun and planet gears go back into the same positions they were removed from...and the roll pin is a metric size,normal 'inch' types won't work.. ;)

Hey Terry what are some of the typical signes of a diff that is broke I think I broke mine and I stopped driving it. It will make noises when driving and seems worse when turning and a ocasional clunk like the tranny is going to lock up.

Thanks

....first sign is usually a mild kickback thru the steering wheel as you turn into corners

mmmm Damn well I guess its time to fix that first gear grind too. :angry:

Discounted Diff Repairs..

...For anyone who needs a trans repair but without a Quaife or Torsen, we are now offering deep discounts on our new and used 'open' style diffs if we fit them/rebuild the trans...E mail for details.

OK,so you have an MTX75 and the diff has blown.You don't want to pay for a Quaife or a Torsen because you don't need it.All you need is a new/good used diff unit that will last.You don't have a 3.0 or a tuned SVT etc.Well some of the Ford diffs are now obsolete.Moral here is MTX stoc diffs can be interchanged.We have stocks of the 95>97 'stronger' open diffs,all used but in good condition...But what about a bit stronger than that?

Well now we have this:-

*On Hand stocks of the current Ford of Europe MTX75 'open' diffs..NEW

*These have *Thicker / uprated planet gear cross shaft(see pic)*Latest level uprated diff gears*

*Are supplied with NEW diff bearings pressed on and outer races(YOU or shop MUST set preload shimming when fitted)*

*New speedo drive gear(Note if you have a Focus or later trans that has a trigger wheel Vs the conventionl gear you will have to swap them*

This can save you a bit if you want to save cash on your trans repair.Pic is below and price etc is in the classifeds....

post-1268-1171548413_thumb.jpg

If you would like an open diff sheet that covers the new and used open diffs we offer ,drop me an e mail at the adress in my sig.Title it'Open Diffs' and I will send the sheet as an attachment (Word with pics)to my reply.

Take a long look at the Ford CD re MTX75 assembly.Whenever a diff,stoc or aftermarket is fitted,the measurements have to be made 'by the book' to select the correct shim for bearing pre-load.New bearings inner AND OUTER IN THE CASE..must be fitted,not half a bearing assy!.Failure to do this operation Re shimming, can result in 1)Tight bearings that will overheat and rip up in use 2)Too loose a pre load that will also damage bearings and cause excessive gear tooth wear between the crown wheel and the output shaft pinion.Pre loads are 'set' for a reason and need to be correct on all shafts and the diff within an MTX75 build up.

RED LINE OIL sells a fully synthetic transaxle oil SPECIFICALLY created for the MTX75 and it's issues. It is their MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil, designed for smoother shifts, hot or cold, higher film strength, perfect synchro coefficient of friction, has no sulfurs that attack the brass blocking rings, and much more. I used RED LINE OILS in our GT cars for years with great success. Used it in the sequential gearboxes (engine redline 10,500 rpm) and the quick change rear ends. Check out the website............................

Edited by CSVTNUT

NO NO NO

..MTL has in the past caused major sludge and dark oxide formation within an MTX75. Some years ago this lube was the subject of a long post on other sites and the main reason I started with oil samples of lubes to the lab. I advise you stay away from this and any gear oil in the MTX75. It does not need 'gear oil' of any type unless running aftermarket gear sets.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.