FordContour.Org

Water Pump for V-6

NoSHO4

Hello to all!

Don't want to re-hash what all of you have been through, but I'd like to make sure I'm getting the most current consensus on the best recourse for the OEM water pump issue. I'm being told that aftermarket suppliers like Airtex are using plastic impellers, but they are a redesign and they got away from the metal impellers because of corrosion issues. Gates is also using plastic impellers in their water pumps; however other suppliers do have the pumps with the metal impeller. Thanks in advance for any responses; I learn tons from reading what everyone else is posting.

Dan

I have an Airtex water pump, 45,000 since I had to replace the original at 61,000. Only complaint I have with the Airtex was it cost $90 in Oct. of 2002.

Yikes!, that's pretty salty. I've got the Airtex located on eBay delivered for $45. What happened to yours at 61K?

... What happened to yours at 61K?

"It went bad". Better explanation then sending someone elsewhere! I see that again and you will get warned. -Dom

Edited by BuckeyeSVT
Removed silly link when people are too lazy to just answer the damn question!

Stop using their FAQ, it's common sense! The impeller (plastic) spins/loosens on the shaft (metal) and causes the engine to overheat.

-Dom

Why is a water pump that doesn't show typical signs that it's going bad, "Common Sense" The pump doesn't leak like a typical pump showing you it's bad. That link shows the problem in detail easier then I can explain it.

Sorry I didn't realize you hated CEG this bad, or will you edit this post also.

the black plastic pumps must fail from the heat or something .... then can lossen on the shaft and stop spinning or they can disintergrate .... either way any oem replacement you get now will be a white plastic which is the "redesigned" part ...

...the non OEM waterpump with the metal impeller used to be had at NAPA stores.The later Ford OEM pump with the white/cream plastic impeller has no issues at all.The early black plastic impeller is the one with the issues.But the impeller alone is NOT always the problem.A loose cone in the rear half of the pump housing will also cause the pump not to work...even with a new front/impeller part.This has been covered a million times.If you understand how a pump works you will know that without the cone etc the pump is not a 'pump'!! ;)

Hey, I appreciate all of the interest and responses everyone has posted. I don't have water pump issues yet, but I bought the car used & since it just turned 60K I figured this is preventive maintainence I should do from what I've read here and on the BAT site. I Don't know if this will be helpful, but I'll add it as information for the discussion. If any of you care to check out these eBay auctions, this is what I found available from sellers on there. Item #300104843542 is the Airtex pump with the plastic impeller that the seller said was redesigned after problems with corrosion from the metal impeller. Item #130009571341 is an OEM water pump with a metal impeller and a supposed lifetime warranty. I hadn't checked with the local Ford dealer yet, but if that is what everyone is getting the best results with I'll give them a call.

Thanks again to everyone for taking time to share your knowledge & experience!

Dan

...OEM water pump with a metal impeller ...No OEM waterpump on this engine EVER had a metal impeller..Your info source is out of wack!.FWIW the NON OEM metal impeller does not rust....unless you just run 'pure water'!!!!The black plastic early impeller had a low coeff of expansion,the steel shaft it fits to is high...when the coolant got hot it tended to start cracks in the black plastic.Over time the impeller would fail.The white plastic has a coeff of expansion close to the steel shaft ...OK?

Well Terry, I thought I had it figured out. Wasn't going to buy the pump with the metal impeller since he was the one claiming OEM & you said no way it's OEM if it's metal. So I e-mailed Northern Auto Parts about the Airtex pump that was redesigned, but he says the impeller is black. Since I don't know if they have changed the composition of the plastic with the redesign, I'm going to take your advice & stay away from any pump with black. Thanks again though for sharing the info; I'm going to keep on shopping.

Dan

Sounds like good advice; I haven't had the opportunity to deal with BAT yet but others speak highly of them & they seem devoted to trying to serve the Ford community.

Thanks again for your time and patience!

Dan