FordContour.Org

Gas Milage

SVTmySE

I was just wandering what the 3L guys are getting and the SVT or any 2.5's. I am getting about 27 mpg with a 2.5(uncloogged cats, minus 1 the rear muffler, stock intake, one lead foot).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iirc I am getting about 24~25 or so mixed driving, mostly local with my SeVT. I did hit 31 mpg with nuthing but highway driving comeing across PA heading home from SZ. was cruising at about 65 mph, little slower then I normally go.

in my 2.0L I get a faily consistant 26~28 mpg ...h

Yikes! I get 24 mpg, mostly freeway miles in a Zetec. Maybe because they are mostly at 80 mph? Also because mine's an ATX?

Time to change the O2 sensors (I know I keep saying that but I will soon)

Yikes! I get 24 mpg, mostly freeway miles in a Zetec. Maybe because they are mostly at 80 mph? Also because mine's an ATX?

Time to change the O2 sensors (I know I keep saying that but I will soon)

I am normally between 75 and 80 myself .... then again that is because my speedometer reads about 4 mph low :blink: , I am normally cruising at 70~72 by the speedometer .... stupid cable driven speedo .... and I have a MTX, 189k and the original, as far as I know, O2 sensor. Also wheels tires are filled 1 pound over what the sticker on the door says to.

Yes I have a replacement O2 sensor but I couldn't get the old one out when I tried last ....

Make sure you change your plugs, wires, fuel filter, airfilter, etc

ok on average since I started tracking gas milage ...

Mystique 2.0L, 5spd, stock

Avg. Gallons: 11.88

Avg. Miles: 327.03

Avg. MPG: 27.69

Avg. Cost: 28.18

Max Gallon: 13.462

Max Miles: 387

Max MPG: 38.92

Max Cost: 40.06

Min Gallon: 4.588

Min Miles: 217

Min MPG: 21.33

Min Cost: 16.00

Contour 2.5L, 5spd, modded with just about every SVT bolt on and then some

Avg. Gallon: 9.63

Avg. Miles: 222.29

Avg. MPG: 22.91

Avg. Cost: 24.02

Max Gallon: 12.44

Max Miles: 327

Max MPG: 31.67

Max Cost: 39.2

Min Gallon: 3.788

Min Miles: 47

Min MPG: 6.39

Min Cost: 4.45

the mins are so low as there was one winter I would start the car up and let it idle for about 20 minutes every few weeks. Oh yeah I almost forgot ... I was running regular until about the beginning of May this year, now I run premium.

Edited by BrApple

Hmm...

Except for the wires, I've changed everything regularly. Tires are always at 34psi.

O2 sensors are my only hope.

I use regular because one geeky afternoon, I decided to figure out which made more sense, and the additional cost of premium doesn't give me the extra mileage so it's not worth it.

stock svt w/ bat trans and quaife filled today 10.67 gal @ $3.10 after 263mi. heavy city driving with hi revs on the FREEWAY!!!.... now and then for kicks. :lol:

I get an average of around 16.5 mpg. That's an average low of 15 and average high of 19.... the lowest I've gotten was 14, and highest was 22 (my wife driving -- she's nicer on the gas than I am). I think it's my mail order tune that helped me get crappy mileage.... going to get dyno tuned with in the next month.

15mpg??!??! You have something seriously wrong.

I'm getting 23-25mpg with my 3L. The worst I've done is 20mpg. I cruise on the highway at 70-75mph (usually, sometimes faster if traffic is fast.) In the city I am more of a lead foot.... I just love the sound of the exhaust reverberating off of overpasses, building, and parking garages.

...I need to give you guys some pointers on how to get better MPG!....As I may have said,summer/winter,local/freeway the 2.5 jag with either of us driving gives around 30 MPG...constant.....and before you say ,I may be old but no granpa driving here!!! ;)

...I need to give you guys some pointers on how to get better MPG!....As I may have said,summer/winter,local/freeway the 2.5 jag with either of us driving gives around 30 MPG...constant.....and before you say ,I may be old but no granpa driving here!!! ;)

We're all ears! With gas prices these days, this is very important.

Waiting for the pointers!!

21-22mpg here. 36mi/day. About half is freeway.....70-80mph avg freeway speeds. Kida heavy foot around town.....im with spridget....the sound....aaaahhh. :D 82k on the odo.

Edited by Ray2

My 3l SVT gets from 19 to 23, I drive it like I stole it BTW.

The wifes 2.5 SVT gets around 27-29.

The ATX SE w/ SVT injectors & intake & optimized y-pipe gets around 30-32, We don't drive it hard why waste the gas! :lol:

1998 Mercury Mystique LS V6

City (right now is like) -- 18 mpg (40 mph)

highway (all day Sat.) -- 35 mpg ( I was doing between 80 - 100 mph)

Mix (city and highway) -- 28 mpg

I don't know if this is good or not, people who has been in Houston before they know how bad the traffic is here. The Mercury and Ford dealer told me if I can run about 22 -25 mpg between on and off city and highway with 2.5L DOHC engine, is really good.

What's the total gas for the contour and Mystique?

Tips:-

*Ensure tires are up to correct pressure,by the book,at all times.Size of tire (if aftemarket wheels & tire) means nothing,the weight of the vehicle sets the mfg's tire pressures*Ensure spark plugs and wires are 'to spec'*DON'T use the gas pedal like an 'on/off' switch,fast gas pedal movements suck up gas!..TURN OFF THE SOUND SYSTEM..the 'music' is the motor!..Open your ears and 'feel' the engine as you feed on the gas....gently*Never over rev or 'lug' the engine,be in the correct gear at ALL times re road and engine speed*Autos will always use more gas than a stick shift*Sudden throttle opening will kill the intake manifold vac ..AND the high velocity air/fuel filling the cylinders*In 'the 'ol days' we used to have (in UK) an economy gage that could be fitted,it was a vac gage with colored segments....High vac was on overrun and with throttle closed at idle /decel,just below that was 'best' vac...with high vac but at small throttle opening..THIS is the best position for max MPG.*Ditch air intakes that are 'open' to draw air(hot) from under the hood,hot air reduces MPG*

The main way is driving skill...to be able to match the throttle position with engine speed at all times without the engine always being in 'catch up' mode due to excessive throttle opening.Your aim is to get MAX VELOCITY and MAX intake manifold VAC at ALL TIMES.*Don't wear 'divers boots' to drive in...'FEEL' the car and engine thru your foot(Note,most 'real' race drivers shoes have very THIN soles so the driver get the 'feel' thru his foot)..Trust me,It works....Keep a pair of thin sole driving shoes in the car...and use them!*Don't go over octane for your car..High Octane does NOT improve MPG or power...It only reduces 'det' in the engine..use the correct grade for your car....*learn to be 'part' of the car as you drive it...GAS PEDAL CONTROL IS THE # 1 PROBLEM FOR MOST DRIVERS IN AMERICA.....It takes finesse and 'feel'.I have proved this a million times with owners re the way they drive Vs the way I drive....Think ahead for traffic lights,curves in the road,lane changes etc...Look at least 1/2 mile down the road as you drive..Avoid heavy braking...thats a sign you are 'short sighted' and cannot 'read' the road or traffic conditions.......'Carcraft' re driving,is an 'art'....to get the best out of man and machine.......you become part of the machine.....

Terry,

I'm pretty sure I'm a careful driver and I do the things that you've mentioned above. Looking ahead about 1/2 a mile is something I always preach to people. Not only does it save gas, but it also avoids accidents because you know ahead of time what's going to happen instead of looking only at the car in front of you.

Aside from driving skills, what else would you recommend? In my case, it's definitely something with the car that's happened over time. Hopefully my driving style hasn't changed much. I used to get better mileage when it was newer.

I can start a list of things in general that affect gas mileage. If you want and you can add to that:

- Double-plat spark plugs with the correct gap

- Clean, non-restrictive air filter

- Correct tire pressure

- Spark plug wires to spec (not sure how to figure this out other than by inspecting them visually)

- Good oil filter

- Cooler fender air in the intake, not hot air from the under the hood

- Good fuel filter

- Good O2 sensors

I disagree about using the manufactures recommended tire pressure. 32 psi is just plain deflated, and encourages poor gas mileage! Even on my stock sized tires I had to run 37psi to keep the shoulders from wearing. On my 235/40/17's, I run 40psi in the front. The psi rating in the door sill and the manual isn't even a decent starting point.... it should be determined by: the vehicles weight, the tire design, alignment, and driving style. Alot of it is trial & error until you find your own personal ideal tire psi. Check your tread depths regularly (outer shoulder, center, inner shoulder).

Also, front and rear pressure should not always match... again, see what fits your requirements. With my 40psi in the front, I run 35 in the rear. Anything more and I understeer.. anything less and I oversteer.

For a stock Contour LX with 185/70/14's, 34 is correct because my last set of Michelins lasted 68k miles with some tread left and the wear was very even. The tires had a tread warranty of 65k miles.

I've never worked in the auto-industry so I'm not sure how they come up with that figure and what the trade-offs are but it's worked for me so far.

Tips:-

*Ensure tires are up to correct pressure,by the book,at all times.Size of tire (if aftemarket wheels & tire) means nothing,the weight of the vehicle sets the mfg's tire pressures*Ensure spark plugs and wires are 'to spec'*DON'T use the gas pedal like an 'on/off' switch,fast gas pedal movements suck up gas!..TURN OFF THE SOUND SYSTEM..the 'music' is the motor!..Open your ears and 'feel' the engine as you feed on the gas....gently*Never over rev or 'lug' the engine,be in the correct gear at ALL times re road and engine speed*Autos will always use more gas than a stick shift*Sudden throttle opening will kill the intake manifold vac ..AND the high velocity air/fuel filling the cylinders*In 'the 'ol days' we used to have (in UK) an economy gage that could be fitted,it was a vac gage with colored segments....High vac was on overrun and with throttle closed at idle /decel,just below that was 'best' vac...with high vac but at small throttle opening..THIS is the best position for max MPG.*Ditch air intakes that are 'open' to draw air(hot) from under the hood,hot air reduces MPG*

The main way is driving skill...to be able to match the throttle position with engine speed at all times without the engine always being in 'catch up' mode due to excessive throttle opening.Your aim is to get MAX VELOCITY and MAX intake manifold VAC at ALL TIMES.*Don't wear 'divers boots' to drive in...'FEEL' the car and engine thru your foot(Note,most 'real' race drivers shoes have very THIN soles so the driver get the 'feel' thru his foot)..Trust me,It works....Keep a pair of thin sole driving shoes in the car...and use them!*Don't go over octane for your car..High Octane does NOT improve MPG or power...It only reduces 'det' in the engine..use the correct grade for your car....*learn to be 'part' of the car as you drive it...GAS PEDAL CONTROL IS THE # 1 PROBLEM FOR MOST DRIVERS IN AMERICA.....It takes finesse and 'feel'.I have proved this a million times with owners re the way they drive Vs the way I drive....Think ahead for traffic lights,curves in the road,lane changes etc...Look at least 1/2 mile down the road as you drive..Avoid heavy braking...thats a sign you are 'short sighted' and cannot 'read' the road or traffic conditions.......'Carcraft' re driving,is an 'art'....to get the best out of man and machine.......you become part of the machine.....

Awesome and soooooo right-on or to the point driving smooooothly!!! Many hills in your area Terry? That's aways a tough one, building just a touch more speed(keeping throttle openings small as possible) and once you hit the grade and if you judged just right loosing 5-15 mph is ok. This where I'd love to have a diesel and let the torque pull you over the hill. Too bad I cant afford to retire in Europe, folks who respect those who try drive efficiently. well that's how I remember it 1969 to 70. :rolleyes:

Terry remember the VW owners manual talked about driving economically, treat the gas pedal as if there was fresh egg between your shoe and the pedal. I think that's where is was????

Threshold braking was very similar Eh? I learned to drive the ole man's car on the back "gravel" roads before I got licensed and out of fear of the Ole ex-Marine's wrath I learned to be very smooth on the pedals especially with V-8 front heavy rear wheel drive. Never knew what it was called until 4-5 years ago threshold braking. I called it staying out of the ditches and dent free to live longer Every young driver should practice on gravel roads along with the threat of near death. Not many left around here though?

Ah memories!!!!

Almost forgot tires rolling resistance I've noticed these Kumhos Grand touring all-season vs more aggressive all season type? What's your take on tire type and rolling resistance?

Edited by rkctdwn