FordContour.Org

Crossfire or Sky

eric

I'm in the preliminary stages of new car purchasing here, but as soon as I amass enough money for a down payment (in the next month or two), I'm making my purchase. Given the choice, based on performance, cost, and personal preference, what would you choose? Since they stopped making Crossfires in the states (although evidently, they're bringing it back in 2008), I know I can get an '06 Crossfire that's lying around really cheap ($20,000 or less, even for a convertible). The only problem there, is that it's mostly 6-speeds that are lying around. That's great, except I don't drive stick (I've only practiced a couple times in my lifetime). Performance-wise, the Crossfire is kind of a dog (unless you payed big money for a SRT-6, of course), but it's good looking, I can get a convertible, and right now, I could probably get one at a great value. The Sky will obviously cost me considerably more, especially if I get the Redline/GXP, but it's a better performer. Then, of course, there's the whole looks thing. I think the Sky is a sweeter looking car than the Crossfire. I could also opt for an automatic, if I so desired. What do you guys think?

Crossfire=crap. Sky rocks, however costs some $$$. And if you are going to buy a car that caliber, like Terry says "Learn to drive a stick".

-Dom

• 2 weeks later...

Nice link.... I'll take the 900 horse turbo LS7 please.

Wave bye-bye to the $1.2M Veyron for only $87K plus the Sky itself. Sheese. (Although the top end speed is a 'nother smoke altogether).

Crossfire looks like its trying too hard (to look good). And every one I've seen on the street has a driver that looks scared that it's gonna get a rock chip. Never see one boomin & zoomin'.

post-43-1186193720_thumb.jpg

/ZZZ

Maybe check out the new Volkswagen GTI MkV...

My neighbor has a new blacked out one w/black redline VW 18s and its killer. Plus they launch rice with trebuchets lol.

Adam

I would seriously consider the Sky Redline (or it's Pontiac brother the Solstice GXP model) more so than the Crossfire. The Crossfire's performance is just lackluster. It should've had more imo.

Also, you can save money by learning how to drive stick. ;) Automatic transmissions cost more (up to a grand more) compared to manual transmissions.

Edited by Rikenbomb

Guest D's nuts

For real the skyredline is just a bad looking and performing mofo! I wish I could get one. Not to mention theres a company out htere I seen in a mag the installs the corvette motors and upgrades everything else like susp ect.. and it still weighs less than a vette. Crossfire is ok but over rated. Go with the sky and like everyone says learn how to drive a stick. Its really not that hard.. Oh yeah and i know everyone has the own opinion but over styled its not. Thats like sasying a viper or ferrari is over styled. Just ause its a saturn dont mean it cant look like one of those cars

Edited by D's nuts

For real the skyredline is just a bad looking and performing mofo! I wish I could get one. Not to mention theres a company out htere I seen in a mag the installs the corvette motors and upgrades everything else like susp ect.. and it still weighs less than a vette. Crossfire is ok but over rated. Go with the sky and like everyone says learn how to drive a stick. Its really not that hard.. Oh yeah and i know everyone has the own opinion but over styled its not. Thats like sasying a viper or ferrari is over styled. Just ause its a saturn dont mean it cant look like one of those cars

Stick Stick Stick Stick Stick Stick Stick ...

Edited by Adam98SVT

Get the Crossfire, but only if it's a 6-speed. It's better built, will age more gracefully than the Sky, and has that German-car feel to it. The Sky is great, but after looking at a few Solstices, I'm once-again questioning GM's interior build quality. Besides, if Mallet can stick a 500hp LS2 motor into a Sky, you could shoehorn a Viper V10 into the Crossfire.

Guest D's nuts

Yeah welll no one is doing a V10 at the moment and how can you say the crossfire will age better than a sky? They just came out! Crossfire is slow and over priced. I bet its like driving a stratus or something. Dodge has poor build quality.

I bet its like driving a stratus or something.

Lol! Yeh Crossfires IMHO suck ass. How about just buying the nicest SVT you can find and send it to Dom and Terry...hell for that much you could even replace all your harnesses and turbo it!

Adam

Well guys, the decision has been made. Thanks for the opinions. The Sky turned out to be too pricey. I went with a Crossfire. It's a Black '04 Crossfire Coupe with 34,663 miles. I'm paying $18,500 for the car and getting $1,200 for my '98 Taurus. Unfortunately, I got an automatic. I test drove a stick - the clutch was really soft, the shifts were really smooth, and I didn't have a ton of problem starting and stopping, actually. When it came down to it, though, I just wasn't sure if I wanted to do it every day, all year long. That doesn't even address the fact that I would be terrified when I would get stopped on a hill, or when I'd have to start in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I'm transferring a 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty for $150. It has a black and red interior. For a while, I was considering a new Mustang GT, because I can get Z Plan rates. Even that turned out to be too expensive. The monthly payment will be at least $100 less with the Crossfire, and I would be shocked if the insurance is not also less expensive. Here are the options:

5-Speed Automatic Transmission

Air Conditioning

Airbags Front Side-mounted

AM/FM CD Audio System

Anti-theft Alarm System

Cruise Control

Dash Trim Alloy

Driver Seat 8-way Power

Fog Lights

Front Center Console with Storage

Intermittent Wipers

Leather Upholstery

Passenger Seat 4-way Power

Passenger Seat Heated

Power Door Locks

Power Steering

Power Windows

Premium Infinity Audio System

Rear Defogger

Rear Spoiler

Rearview Mirror Auto-dimming

Stability Control

Steering Wheel Leather Wrapped

Steering Wheel Telescopic

Tachometer

Traction Control

Universal Remote Transmitter

Pics forthcoming this weekend.

Here's where I start defending my car :)

Crossfire=crap. Sky rocks, however costs some $$$. And if you are going to buy a car that caliber, like Terry says "Learn to drive a stick".

-Dom

Crap? C'mon Dom. It's a Mercedes with American styling. How can it be crap? It has a Mercedes engine and a Mercedes gearbox, just to start with. Let's move on to the standard features...you get my point.

Yeah welll no one is doing a V10 at the moment and how can you say the crossfire will age better than a sky? They just came out! Crossfire is slow and over priced. I bet its like driving a stratus or something. Dodge has poor build quality.

You bet it's like driving a Stratus or something...you just lost all credibility in this discussion. And why the hell are you talking about Dodge build quality? Just because he talked about dropping a Viper motor into a Crossfire jokingly?

Lol! Yeh Crossfires IMHO suck ass. How about just buying the nicest SVT you can find and send it to Dom and Terry...hell for that much you could even replace all your harnesses and turbo it!

Adam

Crossfires "suck ass." I guess you just about summed it up, right? Do you actually know anything about this car?

And every one I've seen on the street has a driver that looks scared that it's gonna get a rock chip. Never see one boomin & zoomin'.

Sounds like it's the perfect car for me, then ;)

Besides, if Mallet can stick a 500hp LS2 motor into a Sky, you could shoehorn a Viper V10 into the Crossfire.

We can dream, right? B)

Edited by eric

Guest D's nuts

Well if you havent look at consumer reports over like the last 10 years or so mercedes are crap and american cars out last them. along with rovers and such. I guess they kindda go hand in hand with dodge huh? And I was talking about dode build quality cause i have driven them and know alot of people who do. They are junk. Not cause he said something about butting a V10 in

Edited by D's nuts

i would go for a miata mx5 6 speed "mini viper" in that price rang, there so fun to drive and handle amazing

Edited by rob99sport

Actually, there are several V10's on the market right now, but I doubt any of them will actually find there way into a Crossfire. That would be a great combination, though. If you want to compare build quality, compare what we're talking about. The Crossfire is not a bargain-priced Dodge, and it is not in the same price category as a Sky. It is a better built car. Have you ever sat in one? If the Crossfire and the Sky/Solstice were an apples to apples comparison, it really wouldn't be fair for the GM products. And no, it's not like driving a Stratus.

Eric, I guess we're the only ones who appreciate the Crossfire for what it is. I applaud your decision, and you'll love it more and more once you explore its cornering ability. Trust me, it'll stick to the road. Although the engine may not be as powerful as it could be, our beloved CSVTs only have 200hp, if that, so why is everyone concerned with the power output?

For those of you who consider the automatic a bad decision, keep in mind that the Crossfire is equipped with a manual-mode automatic. Truly, it's the best of both worlds, and if you think otherwise, remember that Ferrari was one of the first manufacturers to offer this style of transmission on sports cars back in the late 90's with the introduction of the F355 F1.

Actually, there are several V10's on the market right now, but I doubt any of them will actually find there way into a Crossfire. That would be a great combination, though. If you want to compare build quality, compare what we're talking about. The Crossfire is not a bargain-priced Dodge, and it is not in the same price category as a Sky. It is a better built car. Have you ever sat in one? If the Crossfire and the Sky/Solstice were an apples to apples comparison, it really wouldn't be fair for the GM products. And no, it's not like driving a Stratus.

Eric, I guess we're the only ones who appreciate the Crossfire for what it is. I applaud your decision, and you'll love it more and more once you explore its cornering ability. Trust me, it'll stick to the road. Although the engine may not be as powerful as it could be, our beloved CSVTs only have 200hp, if that, so why is everyone concerned with the power output?

For those of you who consider the automatic a bad decision, keep in mind that the Crossfire is equipped with a manual-mode automatic. Truly, it's the best of both worlds, and if you think otherwise, remember that Ferrari was one of the first manufacturers to offer this style of transmission on sports cars back in the late 90's with the introduction of the F355 F1.

Thanks for backing me up, J2. It has a lot of TQ (compared to the amount of HP). That's what I'm most excited about when it comes to the Crossfire's powerplant. I haven't yet been able to explore the Crossfire's handling capabilities, but I've heard good things. The AutoStick should be a lot of fun as well.

Edited by eric

Please learn to drive a stick!!!...and have more fun.... ;)

-Dom

i'll tell you from my expierience. i worked at a chrysler/jeep dealership and drove both the manuels and autos, and i think they're junk too. the base model croosfires have 215 hp. like i said i drove both and they are slow. maybe if they made the srt-6 with a manuel gearbox it would pep it up....but they didn't, don't think they will either. i agree man....learn to shift the gears yourself...you won't regret it. just my 2 cents

Joe

Guest D's nuts

Well ur right its not even in hte same price rang. THe crossfire STARTS out at 35K where the top modle sky redline is 27. And it out performs the crossfire and looks better. The one weird thing I did find out is 0-60 the auto skyredline is alomst a half sec quicker 5.1 and 5.6. and only .2 sec quicker in a 1/4. Well for them anyway. They said it was just because its hard to launch the turboi car with a stick. To many reves and you see nothing but smoke. TO little and it bogs. Oh and it also said it hands the miata mx5 its ass. This is coming car and driver http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12246...-automatic.html

The Crossfire wasn't designed to be a competitive sports coupe... it's a mini-GT. The Skyline is a sports convertible. I don't see them as comparable cars.

The Crossfire would have been so much better if it were the size of a Bentley GT with a 5.7L or 6.1L (SRT8) Hemi and Mercedes sourced gearboxes and electronics.

The Crossfire wasn't designed to be a competitive sports coupe... it's a mini-GT. The Skyline is a sports convertible. I don't see them as comparable cars.

He was actually talking about the Sky Redline. He combined the two words, for whatever reason.

The Crossfire would have been so much better if it were the size of a Bentley GT with a 5.7L or 6.1L (SRT8) Hemi and Mercedes sourced gearboxes and electronics.

Bentley GTs are badass. You know, everybody always wants more power. I want more power. At the same time, I don't think that's the right direction for the Crossfire. It's already too expensive. I think that's why it doesn't sell.

i'll tell you from my expierience. i worked at a chrysler/jeep dealership and drove both the manuels and autos, and i think they're junk too. the base model croosfires have 215 hp. like i said i drove both and they are slow. maybe if they made the srt-6 with a manuel gearbox it would pep it up....but they didn't, don't think they will either. i agree man....learn to shift the gears yourself...you won't regret it. just my 2 cents

Joe

You're driving a SVT Contour, and you're talking about a lack of speed? I love Contours, but they're actually slower than the Crossfire Coupe.

Well ur right its not even in hte same price rang. THe crossfire STARTS out at 35K where the top modle sky redline is 27. And it out performs the crossfire and looks better. The one weird thing I did find out is 0-60 the auto skyredline is alomst a half sec quicker 5.1 and 5.6. and only .2 sec quicker in a 1/4. Well for them anyway. They said it was just because its hard to launch the turboi car with a stick. To many reves and you see nothing but smoke. TO little and it bogs. Oh and it also said it hands the miata mx5 its ass. This is coming car and driver http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12246...-automatic.html

Looks are subjective. If we're talking about speed, nobody is arguing that the Crossfire is going to beat the Sky 0-60 or in the quarter mile. Overall, though, there is no basis for comparison between the two cars. There just isn't. Did you look at the list of features my car has?

Edited by eric