FordContour.Org

Big suprise....

BuckeyeSVT

COP Harness Interest Check  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is there enough interest to build custom harnesses?

• Yes!
    • No!
  2. 2. What price would you feel comfortable buying it at?

• $75.00
    • $100.00
    • $125.00
    • $150.00+

Ok, here is the video as promised. The engine is cold, this was just started in this video (cold idle). I drove it yesterday about 8 miles, to say there was a huge difference would be a lie. However throttle response and engine smoothness did appear much better over the older system. I worked on this system for quite a while, I really don't plan on making it a DIY affair as it's not truly a liability issue but more of a "geez, I spent how many shop hours making this work when I could've been making money?" I'm sure every business owner here understands where I am coming from.

Video: COPVideo1.wmv

-Dom

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest D's nuts

So whats hte price on something like this if you sent in ur own harness? And are you going to be doing it to adams car when you have it tuned? And adam I would pay him to do it if he wasnt already planing on it hehe

Very cool......so make money with it thats what the good ole USA is about. Need help building a peg board for mass production? I used to do that too. Build harnesses and wire up diesel driven back-up gen sets for hospitals, oil rigs etc......IM STILL INTERESTED!

Just threw out my 05 3L valve covers, harness, and coils.... oh well. What is the life expectancy of the coils(x# of miles)?

Where I work we have a fleet of about 8 Econolines used as crew vans. All are 2000 or 01my. All are Triton motors of various sizes but all have COP. All 60k+ on the odo. I havent heard of any issues with COP from our autoshop guys. These vans have been in use 24/7 since new. Triton motors are more known for popping the plugs right outta the heads for some reason. Not with our fleet FAIK.

Just threw out my 05 3L valve covers, harness, and coils.... oh well. What is the life expectancy of the coils(x# of miles)?
I recently looked this up on a 5.4L V8 out of a new Expidition and they run ... get this $200+ per coil. Makes changing your "plug wires" a $1,000+ job! That's WITH a discount form Bill Jenkins. They are VERY expensive to replace!!!

The '96-99 Taurus SHO used COPs too. They are notorious for the rear bank coils going bad due to excess heat trapped in between the firewall and engine. The front bank coils rarely fail.

So... as long as they are not cooked, they last a very long time... at least as long as double platinum plugs (ie 70-100k miles)

More and more cars are going to COP. My '01 Dakota has them too. As more make it to market, the cost for replacement should go down. So in 5 years when Dom needs to replace the spark plugs and a coil or two... they should cost much less than the $150-200 each they cost now.

The '96-99 Taurus SHO used COPs too. They are notorious for the rear bank coils going bad due to excess heat trapped in between the firewall and engine. The front bank coils rarely fail.

So... as long as they are not cooked, they last a very long time... at least as long as double platinum plugs (ie 70-100k miles)

More and more cars are going to COP. My '01 Dakota has them too. As more make it to market, the cost for replacement should go down. So in 5 years when Dom needs to replace the spark plugs and a coil or two... they should cost much less than the $150-200 each they cost now.

You would think the heat issue would be across the board in a way. Look at this pony motor. Theyre buried in the valve covers. IMO overall longevity is the key. Plus the elimination of the one weak link between coil and plug...the plug wires.post-6263-1190329968_thumb.jpg

Yeh I talked to Dom a couple days ago and he was talking about getting this working. He was pretty pumped about it...I never knew what it was but now I can see why. Yes he is doing it on mine, free of charge...Ill take that straight to the bank...but thats frickin priceless and Dom will definitely be compensated.

Thankfully everything since the destruction of the rebuilt 2.5 has gone well. $250 for NEW coated MSDS headers...black :blink:

Its gonna be sweet ride down to Naples in the middle of October on my new 18s and my system up...we gotta do somethin fun in Atlanta.

Adam

Edited by Adam98SVT

Guest D's nuts

Yeah I just got off the phone with him a bit ago and he told me he was. Hell yeah man ur shits going to be tight. We're def going to have to run em hehe. And well def have to find something to get into in the ATL!

Yeah I just got off the phone with him a bit ago and he told me he was. Hell yeah man ur shits going to be tight. We're def going to have to run em hehe. And well def have to find something to get into in the ATL!

Ill be bringin that Dade county shiz B)

Guest D's nuts

aint got shiz on hte atl lol jk. But if you want to go to a club make sure you bring something other than blue jeans and tennis shoes cause most clubs got strickt rules on what you can wear

Dom...I'd shut this down. It's clear from comments etc that the fact that is 'been done' is causing more personel problems than the engineering problems the thread helps to solve. Best that for future mods,upgrades etc me/you/we keep this to ourselves,as you did for a year on the returnless fuel sytem .No point in sharing as those who didn't get it take it so personal.

...I have only posted here on the good job Dom has done and now I have more nasty 'B tards on other sites throwing crap at me...WTF is that all about...again,more personal attacks etc.The minds of these guys need help.Must work like this..

FCO= 'Bang'!....FCO+Dom= Bang,Bang Bang!...FCO+Dom+Terry...= Just 'empty the full mag!!!!!!!

....Sad,sick people out there. :(

Before getting back on topic I'd like to say something real quick.

However apparent it is that I'm so loved by the CEG community for past "issues" .. umm 6 years ago?? Clearly bygones are not bygones - They are alive and well. I tried to vent some frustration, as the saying goes "One mans joke is anothers insult". Perhaps Joey should realize that his words pissed me off, not Y2K or anyone else. That was the sole reason of venting on CEG (and here, but the point was made on CEG - where it belonged on his ground). I think his idea of returnless modding is completely different than ours - Ours is built, proven and has 30,000 miles behind it. People on this forum have that mod done - They can speak up at any time. I'm not really good with sharing ideas because the very first idea I ever had back when I was on CEG (2001) everyone loved - Then it all turned ugly and against me. Then they ridiculed everything about the idea (crush bent vs. mandrel bent). This caused such a ruckus that people were banned (me included) and the community split. The point was doing duals around the gas tank... The starting point for a dual exhaust - Yes, I was the very first one! However, that didn't matter. They were less interested in the idea and more over wildly facinated with mocking me over the choice of build. I don't have access to a mandrel bender here, and I'm not going to mickey mouse my whole exhaust system together with mandrel "pieces" to make it work. That is insanity. So as you can see... CEG has never evolved from this point - They just harbor it and strike whenever they feel.

That's too bad. If I do the math right - They are way short of original ideas... Superchargers and Turbos are not original ideas. They've been done time and time again - Rehashing old stuff. We've done so far:

• SVT Computer in SE/GL/LX
  • Returnless Conversion for Full 3L
  • 05 3.0L complete engine install
  • COP conversion to existing hardware

Those are ALL ORIGINAL IDEAS. For a site that some people write off as "second rate" clearly I can't see how we are managing to do all this "cool stuff". So far the only thing I can calculate as a new idea is the "Split port conversion" system. Umm, I need a separate thread to discuss that one. Rac74 has tried to talk reason and sense with actual facts - However they could care less. It's almost funny how one member over there clings to every last word another one does. It's endearing, but it's really sad. They don't open the discussion to anything but their way - Go against that... might as well save your breath as the attacks won't be against your graphs,proof and logic - They will be personal. I have yet to see FCO treat any member here with the disrespect CEG has. I use the word "disrespect" because that's truly what it is.

My point is this - They talk about the user base dwindling and the enthusiasts are dropping. However, they see it fit to write-off or throw away the true Contour die-hards. This is funny for a site that pretends it's the only Contour site on the internet. People treat Terry like he's 12, me like I'm 10 and others like they should go back to their little corner and suck their thumb. It's honestly appalling - You don't know how many times I talk to people in person or on the phone and can't believe how messed up that site really is. I guess in the end CEG is no better than your run of the mill dysfunctional family. Funny, dramatic and sometimes painfully stupid all at the same time. Want a laugh, pick a forum and a thread - Interesting reading for sure. I don't see facts over there any more, I see people answering without logic or knowledge. That's pretty bad with a site who claims to have "archived" all the data known to man about Contours. For all that knowledge, sometimes they look and sound "stupid". I'm not knocking the good members, there are plenty. For whatever reason though the good get caught up in the bad... and what's even better is the "good members" never stick up for anyone even if they feel they are right....??? What's that about - Where's the community? If I believe in something I'll speak up....

CEG is about cliques. It's a high school drama club with "friends" that like to have too much fun. Like any adolescent however - There is rebellion and disrespect for authority. The car aspect of it is fine, but more like a group club not a national club. Only members who know eachother respect eachother. The rest - Well, there is no "initiation" or like. If they like you, fine. If not - Oh well. It's no loss to them. Terry and I are no "loss" for CEG. They will tell you that at any point you ask. Just open a thread on CEG and ask why we aren't welcome members because we are all working on the same cause? Hehe... yeah. We aren't working on the same cause - We deal more heavy metal and electrical and they deal more in drama and "glam/glittter". Two different sites honestly, ask anyone who really knows both sites and is impartial. They will tell you the same thing - I hear it all the time. When people start stating that they prefer "form" (SVT intake) over "function" (3L intake) and that's their sole reason for being interested in an idea that is bad IMO. That's glam/glitter - Not real true hardcore motoring individuals.

I have nothing more to say - I hope this ends the CEG issue.

-Dom

I disagree Terry. Let the beef go. You and Dom now have your own site. I say post as much info on your mods as you can, and everyone around here gives you guys the props you deserve.

Keep to yourself things of a proprietary nature if you want, but theres lots of us enthusiasts who check the site daily just to see if someone did something different.

565 views on the thread right now and 40+ replies and its just now 24 hours after Dom's first post! Lots of interest there don't let the rude classmates ruin the class...some of us want to learn!

Adam

Getting back on track after getting the CEG monkey off of my back....

What's the interest in a custom harness to convert to COP? Remember, this will be a harness only - No COP units. I have plenty of spare units laying around - However not enough to supply everyone. Perhaps a couple of quick polls are in order.

-Dom

This is the official poll for the COP. I have not figured out all the costs involved in making the harness - However I venture it will not cost more than what I have listed here. Trying to gauge interest first before moving on.

-Dom

This is the official poll for the COP. I have not figured out all the costs involved in making the harness - However I venture it will not cost more than what I have listed here. Trying to gauge interest first before moving on.

-Dom

If I had a COP engine, I would be interested. However, I have a 99 block with 01 heads (spark plug wires). Great modification for a straight up 3L swap with 01+ COP engines. Good going!

If I had a COP engine, I would be interested. However, I have a 99 block with 01 heads (spark plug wires). Great modification for a straight up 3L swap with 01+ COP engines. Good going!

The 2000+ valve covers already have the COP bungs in them for the COPs to bolt onto. So, you could if you wanted to.

-Dom

I will call Bill J and get prices on COP units and parts I need to build the harnesses later today and post the results. This way everyone knows exactly how much $$$ they are looking at if they choose this route. No paper launches here, all spark all the way!

-Dom

Perhaps one more thing....

If someone would like to co-ordinate the "interest" on other forums... That would be ok. One person per forum (say NECO or CEG) that way I have one person to deal with and not a 1,000. Is that doable? You can copy all the pics and video to post elsewhere - Or link to the one's in these posts. Your choice.

-Dom