FordContour.Org

Big suprise....

BuckeyeSVT

COP Harness Interest Check  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is there enough interest to build custom harnesses?

• Yes!
    • No!
  2. 2. What price would you feel comfortable buying it at?

• $75.00
    • $100.00
    • $125.00
    • $150.00+

Any 2000-2003 Taurus or Sable with the 3.0L (4 valve).

-Dom

Correction... 2001-2003

2000 3L Duratecs do not have the rear mounted water pump driven by the cam shaft. The LH valve cover will not fit.

Thanks Dom and Spridget I'm with ya.

...as a quick 'look see' the cop units 'may work' on the stoc 2.5 cam covers..OK the hold down lug could be an issue as is the IMRC box in the way but apart from that it is a 'maybe'....

Terry your right. Went in the garage tonight and pulled the 'pretty' cover off and the IMRC. Then stood there for a while thinking of different ways to secure the coils. I think it can be done but would be easier with coils set in place to see where to pick up the 'ear' on the coil.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to someone else tonight about the COP setup... blew their mind that it could be done without the PCM. Anyways... Even mine is working just like I expect it to.

-Dom

Guest D's nuts

I hate to say it but it seems he always comes up with stuff like this but never comes through with producing more than just a couple. More than likely time constrictions.....that or either theres a flaw in it lol

First off, there is no "flaw" in the harness or the COP operation. I fully told everyone that we were going to completely test out the operation of the COP system for a specific period of time (my disgression) and that is what I am doing. I don't release half-baked ideas... And I don't rush the good ones even if they are already proving to be 100% reliable. We haven't sourced any lower price connectors and that is my big hang-up right now... I'm trying to see where I can get them for less so everyone saves money on these. I confess, I haven't put 24/7/365 in finding the connectors... Gives me time for testing.

These harnesses will come out, just exercise a little patience...

-Dom

Been watching with great interest & put in my vote.

My 3L build is still a few weeks away, but I hope something comes of the COP system soon. I have the COP units & plugs from the 3L doner car, I just need to nab or build a harness and get a wiring diagram. I'd prefer to buy a plug 'n play setup 'cause I'd be mighty concerned about making a mistake and baking my PCM or flaming my motor.

:oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dom... great job all around!!! I know I havent been on here in probably close to two years, but I see that some things never change with the way CEG is with you and Terry... even though out of the top five major contributors to the enthusiast world with the contours, you two are indeed in the top two seats.

Sorry for bringing that back up... especially here where it doesnt need to be, but I had to.

I like to see that FCO is still bringing quality work to the table, with this mod. And so far it has been a great 7 page discussion. It seems as though there are a lot more common sense and overall smarter people here than on "there".

I hope to see more great stuff to come from here as I am still searching for that perfect CSVT to go to my SVT stable.... ahm.. and the cash!

Hey Dom... great job all around!!! I know I havent been on here in probably close to two years, but I see that some things never change with the way CEG is with you and Terry... even though out of the top five major contributors to the enthusiast world with the contours, you two are indeed in the top two seats.

Sorry for bringing that back up... especially here where it doesnt need to be, but I had to.

I like to see that FCO is still bringing quality work to the table, with this mod. And so far it has been a great 7 page discussion. It seems as though there are a lot more common sense and overall smarter people here than on "there".

I hope to see more great stuff to come from here as I am still searching for that perfect CSVT to go to my SVT stable.... ahm.. and the cash!

Thanks Smoothy, nice to see you back on the boards!

Since we have almost 30 people interested in the COP conversion harnesses... Let's measure the real interest with pre-orders. I expect harness production to begin after the first of the year, and I should be able to crank out enough to satisfy everyone's needs (and custom orders for Zetec's if they wish).

Let's get a tally of people who are genuinely interested in buying the harness, this way I can figure out my total beginning parts costs...etc. The more orders the less the harnesses will be. Right now as they sit, the harnesses are $105.00. I feel that is a fair price, however those that have a full 3L harness with COP I would not object to them sending me the harness (I will explain how to extrapolate the parts you need in a separate post) and I will modify it for you. That will run $35.00, and I will ship it back to you ready to go.

-Dom

Dom,

You mentioned Zetec... I was just wondering yesterday if I could maybe do this to my FSVT. And now that you mentioned that, I have to ask. How much for the Zetec? and I know there is technically no screw-down bung for each coil, but I dont see where that would be hard to fix. And that also made me remember a fellow foci member that has a very perfect focus that has the HKS turbo kit and COP techno. You have probably seen it in a car mag, and if you ever picked up the Focus Fanatic magazine, then you definitely saw it... maybe I can get you a pic of it.

I hope this will work for the SVT as well ( even though I just bought a MSDS ignition system for it! :blink: )

Justin

However all you would need is a valve cover and COP units. That's all.... Nothing else.

-Dom

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dom, I just talked to kid who bought my old car, and it got me thinking about FCO again. I checked in and see that you got this working. I remember you discussing it at the last meet I made it to, and I thought it would be cool then. Anyway, congrats!

I'd like to make it out to the next meet you guys have in the spring if there's enough interest, I'm still a contour fan, even without one of my own :)

Edited by spankis

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest KAOS_2.5M
...now Dom,I 'F'ing told you about playing with this without an air cleaner or at least a flash screen gauze....How many more times buddy!...I had this 'fire back' happen to me a few times....even more fun with a carb(Weber) and a float chamber full of gas!!!.....I don't think I'll put the torch on the plastic intake to see how well they hold up!...

BWAHAHAROFL

when I was little I watched a friends dad torch a maseratti bi-turbo that way with marvel mystery oil , :drunk: = :blowup:

so dom, how much will the harness cost? I think I might have a spooky ignition problem, if the swap doesn't cost a gazillion dollars to do by comparison, I'm probably interested.

I am interested in the COPs but i am planning on boosting my 3L. also my engine has already been split-port converted. i am not going to spend the money to swap it back. is there any pics of the 04/05 valve covers with the cops installed and under a SVT UIM...

i in the planning stages of modding my coug since i am still deployed .....so right now its more research than anything. i will be picking up some 04-05 valve covers (dom anyone up there do powdercoating) and right now i am curious if the COP will be ok with the boosted setup.

• 2 weeks later...

WTH is wrong with everybody?? This mod is available for the bottom half of the pice point. Only 4 takers when 50 expressed interest !!!!!

You can pick up the valve covers & COPs for next to nothing at LKQ. Even the COPs were INCLUDED with my 3L engine from LKQ for NOTHIN! They'll practically give them away if you buy the valve covers for a reasonable price. Hell, just get a quote for the valve covers and ask them to leave the COPs bolted on - less work for them!

Guest KAOS_2.5M
WTH is wrong with everybody?? This mod is available for the bottom half of the pice point. Only 4 takers when 50 expressed interest !!!!!

You can pick up the valve covers & COPs for next to nothing at LKQ. Even the COPs were INCLUDED with my 3L engine from LKQ for NOTHIN! They'll practically give them away if you buy the valve covers for a reasonable price. Hell, just get a quote for the valve covers and ask them to leave the COPs bolted on - less work for them!

LKQ?

Dunno.... I already paid Dom and I don't even have my 3L yet :)

Dunno.... I already paid Dom and I don't even have my 3L yet :)

Your harness is being assembled... Should have it ready to go here shortly.

-Dom