FordContour.Org

Blown PCM fuse #9

Linkman

On my Contour -- '98 (built 9/97) V6 ATX w/ 98K miles. No mods at all. Only work I've done to her is replace the water pump about two months ago.

Driving north on I-71 on Saturday near Strongsville and 110 miles from home, when the engine just STOPS. Cold. All the needles on the dash immediately drop to zero (so even though I'm coasting, the MPH reads 0). I manage to coast to the side.

Eventually find that fuse #9, blue 20A, for the PCM is blown. Call a friend, they bring a new fuse, it blows as well on the first turn of the key. Car towed to next exit (Center Towing, Strongsville, OH gets a :thumbsup: ), and then girlfriend's father trailers it the 110 miles home for me (Thank you!). Now it's on the street in front of the house, and I need to find the short.

The little that I've found searching is the fuse blowing on startup, I haven't seen an example of one blowing while driving (after nearly two hours of trouble free driving).

Other than grabbing my multimeter, and my Ford CD, are there any hints about where to start? Tracing the wiring harness is going to be a royal PITA, and any shortcuts are most appreciated.

Thanks!