FordContour.Org

Oil spots in my Air Filter

John

Hello everyone I am just curious to know if anyone here knows what is going on. I recently checked my air filter and its had oil spot on the top righ hand corner. It was not extremely wet, but you can tell that oil has been in there and is dried. I am just trying to get an idea of what is going on. I researched and it told me it might be my PCV valve that could be clogged up. I changed the PCV Valve like 8 months or more ago I do not remember. I recently changed it yesterday. My car is a 1998 Ford Contour SE V6 2.5L Manual Transmission. Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks

John

....sounds like a PCV related problem. I always only use Ford PCV valves and in this case I'd be inclined to check all the hoses in the system for being hard etc or not drawing the gases into the intake manifold re collapse of hose under vac preventing correct flow etc. Over the years most all these related hoses need replacement. An example is the elbow into which the PCV valve fits, this usually goes very hard and leaks over time...

....sounds like a PCV related problem. I always only use Ford PCV valves and in this case I'd be inclined to check all the hoses in the system for being hard etc or not drawing the gases into the intake manifold re collapse of hose under vac preventing correct flow etc. Over the years most all these related hoses need replacement. An example is the elbow into which the PCV valve fits, this usually goes very hard and leaks over time...

yes the Elbow wherethe PCv Valve sits on its very yukky and filled with grease and ooil.. The other part where the PCV gets connected to that piece broke so ia m just inserting it to the PCV and that is it.. Its a long Plastic tube that clicks into the side of the PCV Valve that is the one that broke.

Do you know anything else that could happen when the PCV system goes bad???

...repair the other line( purge connection) without it you will not draw in fumes correctly and the PCV will not work at all and flow backwards to the air cleaner with oil...

Thanks Terri....