FordContour.Org

New Head Gasket, Now No Idle

Mtown10

Alright so I checked the resistances on my coolant sensors. The one on the top of the thermostat housing is good according to my haynes manual, it has a high resistance that puts it right around room temperature. The one on the bottom of the thermostat housing, the one that goes to the gauge in the car, is very low, like 800 ohms. That puts it at like 260°F according to my manual, when it is actually sitting at room temperature. Does this sound correct or is my haynes manual wrong? The whole cooling sensor system just seems out of whack with this car. 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to follow up on the cam and overheating issues I had for anyone that encounters the same problem. First, I swapped the intake cam from my 96 Zetec into my 98 Zetec VCT, and it seems to run pretty good. It definitely isn't perfect, but it runs pretty good. I am considering finding a different cam from a VCT motor and swapping them out to see if there is a difference, but I'm in no hurry to do that. My overheating issue is still there, the fans kick in, but when the temp needle is almost in the red, I start to sweat every time it does it. I might try swapping the gauge cluster or the computer to see if anything changes, I have tried everything else it seems.