FordContour.Org

Right Spark Plugs?

rstuarts

Hi Terry,

I just changed plugs and wires, did test run everything runs really great! The old plugs barely had any electrods left. I

bought the plugs from Bill Jenkins, so I did not check the plug numbers before I did all this. So I'm checking the old plugs

color and they look Like they should and I notice the Old plugs were motorcraft AWSF32F, Bill sent me motorcraft

AGSF32FM!? So are these new plugs the same with updated numbers or what. Are they ok for my 1999 SE V6

Motorcraft AGSF32FM are for the standard V6 in the UK so i would presume they are the same for you in the US.

As it

happens, i was going to buy them for my V6 but thought i would enquire the cost for ST200 version(Motorcraft AWSF22FS) and

found that they were cheaper???

Terry a question, would fitting ST200 plugs to my V6 do any damage? Would there be any

benefits/pitfalls?

Cheers.

...stick with the right plug re heat range etc ,for the engine.The only reason to change heat ranges etc is if you have MAJOR

mods to the engine re S/C or T/C.But ALWAYS use 'double plat' in V6's & Zetecs if they do not have an S/C or T/C....For

super charged and turbo the rules and plugs change....

Terry,

I was recommended NGK plugs for my V6 some time ago (I think they were NGK

PTR5D-10 (double plat)) and changed to those at about 45k. There was an improvement (but realistically any new plugs may have

made some difference).

Is it best to stick with Motorcraft? This

thread has reminded me to check what plugs are in the new engine.

Autolite

APP764. They are the same as the Motorcraft plug and are $4 a piece. Can't go wrong. Can be found at Advance Auto.

The "FM's" are the new "standard" plug because the fine wire tip promotes lower emissions.

A side

benefit is the fine wire tip improves throttle response. (lower spark threshold)

Drawbacks are slightly faster wear

of the center electrode.

Plus of course the faster wear of the standard ground electrode verses a double platinum plug.

Why use the FM's when the Autolite PP's are cheaper and the same plug as the Motorcraft plug before it was

superceeded? Just because the FM's work fine doesn't mean they are the best option.

Thanks

for the replys everyone :)

The old plugs were in the car when I bought it with

37,000 miles on it, is there any significance that the old plugs had virtually no electrods left, other than they should have

been changed earlier. How often should I change the plugs, since the recomended milage of 60,000 is highly suspect, in my mind

anyway.

By the way I got the Motorcrafts from Bill Jenkins for $3.50 each.

Thanks for the replys

everyone :)  

The old plugs were in the car when I bought it with 37,000 miles

on it, is there any significance that the old plugs had virtually no electrods left, other than they should have been changed

earlier. How often should I change the plugs, since the recomended milage of 60,000 is highly suspect, in my mind anyway.

By the way I got the Motorcrafts from Bill Jenkins for $3.50 each.

Are they double plats? 37k is extremely early. I change every 40k but the

plugs have all been fine. I'd recommend 60k for the average person.

Sorry

that there is some confusion here. I just changed the Plugs at 56,000+ miles. The car had 37,000 when I bought the car and the

plugs I just changed were already in the car. The old plugs were Motorcraft plats, wheather or not they were double plats, I

would not know the difference by looking at them.

I was just wondering if it was typical that there was virtually no

electrods left on the old plugs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.