FordContour.Org

Cloth vs. Leather

giganto

If you read my "Help! My first Contour has leather seats!" thread, then you have some background on my present situation. When I went to the junkyard today to overtorque some brake bleed valves to try to fix my own, I found the yard had acquired a "new" '95 Contour ATX with a good, gray leather interior (and 4 wheel disc brakes!). It was a GS version (I believe), and the front seats were quite comfy, which is why most of you probably thought I was crazy when I had posted that other thread. My SE version has the giant bolsters which hurt and bruise your ribs. The SE also has a power forward-backward on the pan, but a manual back adjustment knob. The GS has a power pan and power back.

The fist questions is, are the seat backs and headrests interchangeable? I'm pretty certain the headrests are, but the power would have to be spliced in from the supply to the pan motor, I suppose. Hardware wise, the junkyard would charge me $75 for both power leather seat backs. After I get the tires and brakes situated and the car parked, I'll pull the seats.

The second question is, which will last longest; cloth or leather? The GS seat is ripped and worn from getting in/out, but the junkyard also has two cloth seats in good condition (manual) for only $50. Since I plan to drive this car for 500k miles until the electric motor dies, which in your opinion, will last longest with proper care!

The third question is, I like to wear shorts, why would I want leather? All my other cars are cloth, and I vacuum and shampoo them every once-in-a-while and they don't burn me. I have to keep a hand towel with me to lay on the seat if I have to park in the sun. Is it just a style preference, or is this a trade off for the durability from the second question? (If leather really is more durable.)

maybe not the reply your looking for but I love my 95 se gray leather :punk: best seat I have ever been IN my 95 mystique ls had gray leather also best seat I ever sat ON

maybe not the reply your looking for but I love my 95 se gray leather :punk: best seat I have ever been IN my 95 mystique ls had gray leather also best seat I ever sat ON

Maybe not the response you're looking for, but could you do me a favor and take a tape measure and measure how far apart the very front part of the bolsters are at the seams. I get right at 20 inches with the blade stop into one seam and bend the tape around the bolster into the other seam.

I also have a chest measurement of 42 inches. My mom is tiny, and she found the driver's seat uncomfortable too. I'm thinking that maybe the seat back had been damaged somehow, like so many headrests I've seen.

95 did have larger bolsters on the seats. In 96 they were made smaller and the seat back was recessed. Those 96 seats will be plug n play to install in your car. If you don't have the power seat back now then adding a power back to your seat may not work. It has to do with the power plug to the motors on the bottom of the seat. BTW this is not the one that the floor plug goes into and of course the switch on the side of the seat is missing. Just replace the whole thing and it will plug right in. I like my leather seats. If they are too hot just use a towel, but they should way out last cloth. You still need to take care of them and clean them.

my 2 cents,

AF

Maybe not the response you're looking for, but could you do me a favor and take a tape measure and measure how far apart the very front part of the bolsters are at the seams. I get right at 20 inches with the blade stop into one seam and bend the tape around the bolster into the other seam.

I also have a chest measurement of 42 inches. My mom is tiny, and she found the driver's seat uncomfortable too. I'm thinking that maybe the seat back had been damaged somehow, like so many headrests I've seen.

48 inch chest 20 inch straight seam to seam 25 inch seam to seam following CONTOUR of the seat pun intended maybe chest size is less important than back lenght I sit pretty high in the seat

48 inch chest 20 inch straight seam to seam 25 inch seam to seam following CONTOUR of the seat pun intended maybe chest size is less important than back lenght I sit pretty high in the seat

I guess my foam has hardened too much. It has spent the last 2+ years un-sat upon; perhaps it needs some squishing to maintain pliability.

I've got other fish to fry before electrifying and re-seating. My parking brake has apparently stuck in the partially engaged position. Once I got the brake bleeders bled, I noted poor flow; because the parking brake was on even though the lever was lowered all the way. I've ordered new cables, rotors and pads.

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and got the gray interior cloth seats. They were from a recent addition to the junkyard, so I thought I'd get them while they're still in good condition...before someone needs a window regulator. I even returned the leather cleaner and conditioner for a full refund, since I didn't use them. They were $17 with tax, and the "new" seats were only $50. They're also fully manual, so should also weigh less for the electric conversion. I just have to vacuum and shampoo them. Apparently, the driver had just gone to McDonalds and likes Coke; since it was all over between the center console and the seats. :yucky:

Does the back of the rear seat fold down? That's a real handy feature.......

When I read this, I realized that I hadn't actually tried releasing the seats. I remembered the pull knobs were in the trunk, but had not ever pulled them. When I did, both seatbacks would not move. I actually had to lay a piece of plywood in the trunk (I gave away the spare) and push with my feet! It indeed has the 60/40 split; if you need some spares, let me know.

As I recall, that's how I ended up with my red 2.0l Mystique. I paid about $2k extra for a "Mercurized" Contour just so I could have the folding rear seats! None of the 2.0l Contours in 1995 had this feature. So yea, I agree, it's handy! It was the first "new" car I ever bought. Here's what I upgraded from: a Rover P6 1969 TC2000 (on the right, BTW) now retired on my aunt's farm. The black leather (Pleather?) seats were about the only thing left stock. Rover parts are hard to get, anywhere. Curiously enough, electric Rover P6 TC2000s appear in the move GATTACA. Perhaps after my Contour conversion....

post-7188-1219876676_thumb.jpg

Sounds like an application of pb blaster is in order..... LOL

Do you get a discount for a tanker full? Or I could just park it in a swimming pool and let them fill it up with the PB.