FordContour.Org

'95 wheel bearing

Retep

I'm working on the wheel beaings of my in-laws 95 Contour. Last weekend I did the front brakes, and the passenger side wheel and rotor had to be beaten off with a sledge (yes, we replaced the rotor)! Now I have all the bolts out to take the knuckle ass. out, but I can't beat the lower control arm off, and the nut for the half shaft wont budge. I've heard not to use heat, so any suggestions?

On the half shaft nut, rent a socket set from the local auto parts store and use a impact or real large 1/2' breaker bar. Those are real tight the entire way off/on. I try either a prybar slipped under the knuckle by the ball joint, or try stepping down on the control arm. You might need to heat up the knuckle by the strut to get it to move off there. Try not to heat up the strut too much. A large, very large hammer will help here.

Good luck. It gets a lot easier after a few times. I didn't want to pay to have them done the first time. It was $200 a side. Only thing was that I couldn't get the bearings out, even with the press at work. I ended up taking them to the shop, paid about $135 for them to remove and install the new bearings. Plus I paid for the bearings. Wou've been better to just let them do the whole job!!!!!!

Now I can do one side in about 20 minutes. Thats the ones that I've removed before and everything is anti siezed or oiled real good. Good luck, Brian........

what he said, and......

PB Blaster is your friend. An over night application can do wonders.

AF

Edited by Aussie Ford