FordContour.Org

Spun rod bearing on 99 contour. Where's best info on motor swap

drej

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on our 99 V6  car as its been well kept and lots of new parts except for the motor now. Can the motor come up and out without the trans, or will the drivetrain have to come out. I have a lead on a good doner Duratec.I've read some posts and what is the best resource on this,? (video anywhere?)

It is starting to warm up so a bit of a project is not out of the question. I have tools, straps... hoist  etc

Thanks Much,

D~

Here's a good step-by-step guide to pulling it out the top: http://www.newcougar.org/forums/how-tos/150698-2-5-mtx-removal-guide.html

There are some steps he did in the car that can be done out of the car. For example, I leave the UIM and all of that on the motor and pull it once it's out. I also leave the hood on but in my garage have an overhead beam that I bunjee it to so it is held all the way open.

• Like 1

What a great link Thanks, !

Also - I'm looking at donor motor and would like to know if a 01 cougar motor can drop in and work with out mods?

I noticed this 2.5 is listed as not compatible when plugging in the year to my 99 contour on some auction sites.

Also would any electrical or computer reflash be needed as I hope to drive it away after it starts. (fingers crossed !)?

Do you know if your car is a return or returnless fuel system? The only modification you might have to make is the oil pressure sending unit has (I believe) a different connector. It's a 1-wire sensor so easy to change out if need be. Other than that use all the accessories and wiring harness from yours and you should be good to go. The 01-02 Cougars have a revised PCV system that will work just fine as well. Check the plastic tube running up from the PCV valve to the manifold, I've seen several 01-02 Cougars wear through this from IMRC accuation.

Also, use the exahust manifolds from your car, 01-02 cougar had a slightly different design as they only had 3 o2 sensors where as your car has 4. The Cougars have one downstream sensor to monitor both banks instead of one for each bank.

EDIT: Also, manual cars did not have a pilot bushing in the crankshaft (flywheel side) so if the trans you got is coming from an automatic you'll have to cut this flush or remove it. If yours is an auto and the new engine is from a manual you'll have to remove that bushing and move it over to the new motor.

Edited by 00CSVT150

Very helpful, Thanks. (These are both Auto Transmission cars) but I don't know if I can tell if my 99 contour is returnless so that I can more readily accept the 01 cougar motor in mine?  fyi, On the top Pass side is 1 fuel line "shown" with a sensor. Door has a 10/98 sticker . I added some photo's, Any direction is appreciated.

post-15535-0-27320700-1398391207_thumb.jpg

post-15535-0-25564900-1398391232_thumb.jpg

Edited by drej

That line on the pass side is your power steering pressure line.  Fuel line(s) are on drivers side under throttle body - or at least the one on my My2000 returnless car is.

Good point Terry. He can run either timing cover though. I actually prefer the routing/layout of the newer timing cover but if you wanted to keep it 'stock 98' you could swap it. While the motor is out of the car I'd probably recommend replacing valve cover, timing cover and oil pan gaskets as well. Much easier to do out of the car and they're pretty cheap as well.

Another thing is the alternator/bracket in the 01-02 Cougars was revised. It'd probably be easiest to use your alternator/bracket as IIRC there was a wiring change there as well.

The motor will be a pretty easy swap for you and we can help you out with any questions you may have along the way. The 01-02 Cougars also had revised heads with extra oil drainbacks. Definitely a plus in my book. :)

Hi All,  Thanks for the Tips ! I'd change the Oil pan gasket and the Timing cover for sure. (my 99 actual had a oil pan gasket leak a few years ago & low more than a few times and I fixed it due to the mess....) Perhaps "that is when" this V6 motor got oil starved... enough to spin this bearing at 127K today. anyway,

But here's the pic I took this morning.   Looks as my 99 is a Return type system./ correct? The 01 cougoar motor may not look as inviting right now. (Lots of changes huh?  UIM ,  fuell rails and  etc...? Elec_connectors ?)

post-15535-0-41745400-1398538217_thumb.jpg

You are correct, that is the return-style fuel system. That one is an easy swap though, just use the fuel rail from your car on the new motor and you'll be all set. You'll be unhooking the rail to remove the engine anyways. I'd recommend replacing the injector o-rings when the rail is out as well. Usually they're fine but I have seen some leak after install/removal.

Here's what you'll want to reuse from your car:

Engine harness

Injector harness

Injectors

Fuel Rail

Exhaust manifolds/EGR tube/EGR Sensor

Coolant block on drivers side - I'm not sure if you can swap to the newer plastic style easily or not.

Things that will require some work:

Knock sensor, some cars had them, some did not. If yours did not then you don't need to do anything. If it did I believe it'll be a different connector

Oil Pressure Sensor - Yours will be a threaded push-on style connector, new should be a clip on. Either swap sensor or cut/solder/heatshrink wiring harness

Things you could go either way on:

Timing cover - Either swap over your old one or use new one and get the belt for an 01-02 Cougar (I'd use the newer one but your call)

UIM - Both will be the same

LIM - The newer car may be larger than the one you have, either will work just fine though

TB - Both will be the same

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but that should be the bulk of it. Hope this helps some!

Edited by 00CSVT150