FordContour.Org

Electrical issues and overheating

98 FU Green

The electric in my ''98 Contour has been periodically shutting off while I'm driving. Usually, I can re-start it immediately whole I'm still driving, but a couple of times, I've come to a complete stop with no electric at all. Sometimes I can jiggle the battery wires and it will start up.

Friday, I replaced the alternator. Saturday the car wouldn't start, even with a professional jump. The starter didn't even click. It did push start, though, but died on the road shortly thereafter when the electrical shut off.

Any help would be appreciated. This is getting dangerous & the towing is getting expensive.

I had the same simptoms, the conection to the battery was a little loose and dirty, after cleaning the conections and properly adjust them fixed the problem.

Blanket Statement...ALL years of Ford Contour can,and do, over several years..have major issues with the wiring harnesses.

Whare to start??...The heavy red '+' feeds from the battery to the fuse box is a common area of insulation breakdown...after that it could be 'anywhere'...Shorts,loss of insulation etc have been reported by owners in most every wire harness location under the hood..