FordContour.Org

New owner radiator fan problems 96 2.0l gl

ajbwalk

High every one wandering if anyone can help me on my radiator fan problems. The radiator fan does not run when AC is on or when engine hits high temperatures (just past the L in Normal). Basically the fan dose not run in any normal operation of the car.

So far I have jumped power to the fan from the battery (Fan runs). Jumped the high speed relay (fan runs), jumped the low speed relay (fan runs slower than the high speed relay like intended), tested both the high and low speed relay (both work). I also found the battery wiring harness was almost non existent only getting 10V to the engine compartment relays, so I built a new harness now getting 14v at the relays. Also found the wiring harness that goes over the cooling fan to be disintergarating so I have patched that up with new wire where necessary. 

Items that I don't know work

A/C High pressure switch

The Temperature sensor

Wiring That I haven't checked

So what to check next?

Dose having very low refrigerant  make the A/C High Pressure Switch not function?

Where is the temperature sensor that controls the fan located?

How do you test the temperature sensor?

How do you test the A/C high Pressure Switch?

Meny Thanks 

Aaron

...the engine has two temp sensors,one for the gauge and the other for the eec..it is the eec sensor that triggers the fan not the gauge sensor.

From what you have said about the harness condition it could be that causing the problem..I'd try a new temp sensor then focus on the wiring circuit for the fans...

..the eec is the electronic engine control  module.It controls all vehicle systems so I doubt it has a problem but the sensor and wiring are usually at fault on these cars..A dealer should know the correct part of the non gauge sensor..

Replaced temp sensor fan now comes on. Filled ac system fan comes on when ac turned on.

I was happy with this until I noticed a small leak in the temperature sensor housing. Aside form the motorcraft part rh43 are there any aftermarket makers of this part?

• 2 weeks later...