FordContour.Org

$1500

KipKipleySvt

A highflow y-pipe and aftermarket or custom exhaust would help the sound. I don't believe in the Hot Air intakes. A K&N in the stock air box is better in my opinion.

That should be within your budget and leave some left over for stereo goodies. Are you able to install the parts yourself or do you need to spend $$ for labor?

I can do alot of work myself if i can figure it out. Ive been looking at a new exhaust, i looked at what cta had to offer, and i like the 3rd option with dynomax 17263 ultra flow muffler. what would happen if i changed the headers without the rest of the exhaust or vice versa, i dont have the money to but the headers and the rest of the exhaust system.

I dont want a hot air intake either, but i'm having a hard time finding a decent cold air intake. Whats a good choice?

Nothing bad will happen if you do not changes the headers. The headers are "off road" only and eliminate the primary cats. Therefore you need MIL eliminators to keep the check engine light off and you will not pass a smog test with headers. You won't get the full benefit of an improved exhaust, but the aftermarket cat back systems offer 5-15hp based on your mods.

The best true CAI's require relocating the battery. That is why in my opinion the K&N is the best setup in terms of ease vs. performance. The stock system is a CAI.

GMK Cold Air Intake

Tru Bendz Exhaust

BAT Y Pipe

or

MSDS Headers w/ y-pipe(??)

Tru Bendz exhaust

personally if I had 1500 right now I'd swap in a new long block...but assuming my car was running. I'd go for Ground controls & konis.(suspension)

the first thing you should do is take your car to terry's shop and have him do the works on the rear subframe with an Aussie bar. then get some good struts and whatever springs meet your needs. after the handeling is improved maybe do some exhaust work or get some nice wheels. these cars are all about the handleing. you will need some good tires to compliment an upgraded suspension. if you do decide to get new suspension components, rememver to get it all aligned afterwords. that's kinda the route i took, but in a slightly different order.

Ben

Absolutely the first thing you want to do is upgrade your suspension, and Ben is right on the money. Take your car to Terry, or if you have a trusted shop, see if he will mod a subframe for you. I put in a Haines mod'd rear subframe 3 weeks ago, went to Putnam, & took over four seconds off my previous best lap time, with no other mods! :dribble:

Should mention original subframe had been "mod'd" by my local shop, using the original backing plates with the Aussie, but the difference is phenomenal! Can you spell frigging A neutral!! No understeer, controlled rotation without any drastic or notable oversteer -- just way, way cool on track! Wasn't too bad the way it was, but now -- hoo-doggies, she sure likes to twist! Worry about power, cool sounding exhaust, etc. after the fact, but get your suspension in order first, THEN look elsewhere for more power and such. PM Terry to get price for modding frame, find an Aussie somewhere (there ARE some floating around here and there), and then I suggest Konis and any of half-dozen sport spring sets. Coil-overs are cool, but you'll be stretching the budget already.

Next step is back to Terry, and install an LSD, so you can get the power down right, from both wheels. Don't screw around w/Phantom or any of the other sorta LSD's, do the job right, send your box to Rockford, MI, and have Terry Haines put it together.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed it, I, Ben, and several other people will use the name Terry Haines almost incessantly and always reverantly. :clap2: I compete in my daily driver, which is my only vehicle other than an 82 Yamaha 2-wheeler I am restoring, bit-by-bit. I've been dealing with, buying pieces from, and seeking advice from this terrific guy whom I've never met in person, but had several, several very enjoyable, long conversation by phone for quite a while now. A man who truly understands that knowledge shared is not a loss, but rather a friend gained.

I trust him and his advice each and every time I go into a corner, down two gears, and, not too long ago, ate a 350Z's lunch in the twisties at MidOhio! :spank: Sure wasn't that I outpowered him, but it WAS the bits and pieces from Haines Motorsport [HMS] that allowed a ton-and-a-half former lead-sled go around corners faster that a two-door sport coupe. An old goat can't find much more fun in life than spanking a 20-something in a car that originally cost about half the price of his sport version Nissan (mine's a v6 GL). :rolleyes:

Back to bottom line -- get it handling right first, then go after other go-fast stuff, with which HMS can also help you. :thumbup:

Mike

NASA competition -- we drive harder!

- - - - - -

PS That is, all of the above is unless you just wanna go in straight lines. Then I suggest just finding a surplus solid-fuel rocket engine, weld a bracket in the rear, cut a hole in trunk to let out the exhaust, and light the SOB. Only be good for one run, but you'd definitely have the world's fastest 1/4-mile Mondeo/Contour/Mystique, whatever. Oh! And pay your insurance first, too! :doh:

....Hi Mike...I guess you like the suspension!.....The 'set' of the bushes etc,as we discussed,also helps it stick.Most people lower,mod etc without considereing how bonded rubber bushes 'work'....as we said they must be in a 'neutral' set with all the vehicle weight on them before they are tightened up.....Sounds like the season is going well for you.....regards TH

i have a budget of about 1500 i would like to put into my car.  Its a stock 98 SVT, besides the stereo.  What should I invest in?  I want to have a little more hp and have it sound good too.

Quaife LSD and rebuilt/upgraded transmission by Terry Haines.

Best place to start, PERIOD!

As previosly mentioned, don't mess with a phantom grip (its not a real LSD).

Torsen is an option, but the Quaife Lifetime Warranty is the ultimate plus!

• 4 weeks later...