FordContour.Org

got my sub box

Stryker

in prep for my 12' alpine thast coming from chattavegas. wil be here around tuesday. ok, i got the box. its pretty heavy, im surprised. now i have to add performance mods to get my speed back! :thumbup: i went to one store to get the box and he didnt have any for a 12" only a 10. he was gonna cut it to fit a 12" when 2 customers walked in. the salesman then began helping them! :furious: because they were looking to spend more money (they were looking to spend 500$ each on a complete stereo, i was only buying a sub box). this guy had the carpet cut from around the opening of the box already...he then proceeded to help these other people and make me wait!!!. after 10 mins of waiting, i left.:ranting3: :ablow: i went down the street and got a box, made for a 12" for $5 more. the guy i left standing there just ruined a perfectly good carpet job on a sub, but ya know what, i will not toleratebeing ignored when i am kind enough to spend money in your store. so i went up the street, and for $5 more, i got treated with the respect i deserved. i WILL be going back to Crank It Up Car audio for my door speakers. and also when i am ready to upgrade. that alpine place was total BS. doesnt it seem like stoopid people are in abundance lately?

but this box is quality and i will enjoy it i am sure. i dont mind spending a little more money if i get treated well. he also threw in 20 ft of speaker wire for $5.

the dimensions are as follows:

20" long

18" at the bottom from back to front

14" at the top from back to front (the face where the sub sits is angled upwards slightly)

12.5" tall.

any issues here? i described the look of ths sub to the guy and right off the bat he told me that its an excellent starter sub. he said he has one from the miod 90's that still plays like it is brand new. he said he wasnt sure about me putting it in this box tho...thoughts?

cool. the box didnt look that big until i got it in my trunk. now to keep it from going anywhere (its pretty heavy so i dont have to worry too much about that) will it compomise the seal on the box if i use a wood screw and go straight down through the middle of the bottom of the box and secure it to the floor that way? or would you reccomend i use velcro on the bottom to keep it in place? lol.

Velcro works, yes. I usually use a pair (or maybe 3) wood screws down into the floor. Don't worry about loosing the seal in the box, you'll be using 8 wood screws to hold in the sub. The threads of the screw will make a real tight seal with the wood. You'll be fine. Just don't drill through the wire bundle on the driver's side, the spare tire, or the gas tank. :cheers:

naw, i have a plywood floor, remember, so that wont be a problem. ill just use shorter screws...and your right about the losing the seal thing :doh: . but its all good. so how would you reccomend i go about doing this, scre the box to the floor and then isntall ths sub with my feet sticking out of my trunk in the 100 degree heat (or worse, the pouring down rain) or should i wire the sub up with a little extra wire, let it dangle from the box, stick the box in the trunk and screw it down, and then put the sub in place?! lol i think the answer is obvious. my only worry is if i use a longer screw, putting a hole in my spare tire...:eek:

ohhh shiz, theres a wire bundle on the drivers side, my amp is over there...:whistling that could be why my turn signal now flashes rapidly at random times...

Well the box is 3/4" thick and the floor is the same, right? So that's 1.5" of wood, plus two layers of carpet, so ~ 1.7"? Use a 1.25" screw for securing the box to the floor. And yes, it's easier to screw down the box, then install the sub. I can sit in my trunk, so I have no problem with it. :whistling

i can too, and im not exactly small (220lbs and 6ft.) but my car hates it, it creaks and shiz when im in the trunk, its funny as hell. my car talks to me, it tells me when something is wrong or when i have done something it doesnt like. my car has a personalityu. and i believe its stereo shoudl reflect that: simple, easy to use, sounds good, looks good. thats what my car is all abut, functionality!

now with this bigger box, will it be harder for me to hear distortion in the sub? or will i not have to worry about that with the amp im running.

and no, actually the floor is 1/2 inch. i couldnt bring myself to put 40lbs worth of floor in my car and then add a 25lb box on top of that, my poor car!

alos, at the place where i bought my box, they had a clarion 32 inch subwoofer hanging from the wall!!!!!!! i was like DAYUM!!!!! you would loooooove that shop eric.

DCP01947.jpg

^before the cleaning^

amp2.jpg

Amp installed^

amp1.jpg

^after cleaning^

this is the floor i built with a 30" piano hinge! (thanks for the idea eric!)

DCP01970.jpg

the finished product...well sort of:

DCP01971.jpg

and the handle on the trap door:

DCP01972.jpg

It looks good, but just a side note. When you are doing something with stereo equipment, like a box or a floor it is best to use 3/4" MDF.

dude, change your sig man! holy hell!

and the box is made out of MDF, the floor is plywood because when i need to put shiz in it, i need it ot be strong. in a few months, i will be driving 200 miles to put a set of E0 wheels with tires in there, so i need a strong floor anyway. lus, i haul heavy parts for work (some that i proabably should t haul around in the trunk of a tour due to weight) so i need everything to be sturdy. and i just flat out got tired of having a warped/wavy floor.

really eric? i dodnt know that...at any rate:

the box cant be screwed down...the box sits over the hinge by about 2 " so the box has to be removed to get the trap door poen...but that no biggie, how often am i gonna need a spare anywhay...??