FordContour.Org

Diesel Car Myths..

Terry Haines

..so now we read 'death of the SUV', crude at $150 ,unemployment up etc etc....Think I'd still go for that Euro diesel car if the Motorcity had any here...but hey, not going to happen right! No bloody foresight in Detroit! :angry:
not true! Chinese find the SUV a very hip thing. So you and I won't have one , but the guy on the other side of the world finds it sexy and yearns to have one. Glug Glug that 8 mpg vehicle has found an oasis market to keep it in demand. although in a very small chinker market of people that have more $$ than p!ss. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

A modern diesel engine with egr and exhaust aftertreatment run's VERY clean.

I remember when I first started as a truck tech.You'd start an engine in the shop

and not 10 sec later you where running to the door to get fresh air and have all the other guys

give you $hit for forgetting the exhaust vent.

Then in the early 90's when mechanical injection pumps where eliminated most of the

smoke was gone.In 02 egr/vgt turbos was introduced to larger truck engines and smaller ones with

high hp tunes then in 07 aftertreatment came and now nobody hardly notices a running engine in the

shop except for the noise.

I must add though the new hybrid city buses are great.So smooth and silent...not to mention a

25 to 30% increase in fuel mileage with the same engine as a non hybrid according to admin.

I'm glad to see all these new ideas but all the rumors/opinions will stay as long as nobody try's

them.

Edited by spoiledcat

A modern diesel engine with egr and exhaust aftertreatment run's VERY clean.

I remember when I first started as a truck tech.You'd start an engine in the shop

and not 10 sec later you where running to the door to get fresh air and have all the other guys

give you $hit for forgetting the exhaust vent.

Then in the early 90's when mechanical injection pumps where eliminated most of the

smoke was gone.In 02 egr/vgt turbos was introduced to larger truck engines and smaller ones with

high hp tunes then in 07 aftertreatment came and now nobody hardly notices a running engine in the

shop except for the noise.

I must add though the new hybrid city buses are great.So smooth and silent...not to mention a

25 to 30% increase in fuel mileage with the same engine as a non hybrid according to admin.

I'm glad to see all these new ideas but all the rumors/opinions will stay as long as nobody try's

them.

YES absolutely no reason not have CRD diesel in the US, now that the politicians can't use the EPA to control/stop the diesels.

I can't find the report now but it was a from the professional association for scientists/engineers/physics that was complaining about politicians pressuring those working for the EPA. So much stinkin greed it just makes me sick! Also if Terry reads this, my son in Illinois just told about reports that the US has been exporting diesel to the UK???? Politics ???

Many many reasons that I feel has artificially raised the price of diesel way higher than it needs to be. Demand has not risen but 1% by the end of 2007 a report from an insider on the commodities market, 3-4 different areas of manipulation was noted. Funny all of sudden Congress is finally doing something about! I assuming that they've made enough for their private retirement fund from oil that they better stop before it got exposed. I've heard rumors that the politicians retirement fund is larger than the social security coffers? Does surprisre me! :angry:

So much stinkin greed it just makes me sick! Also if Terry reads this, my son in Illinois just told about reports that the US has been exporting diesel to the UK???? Politics ???

Whoa there now. Don't leap to the wrong conclusions here, as that's what got us into this mess.

True, we (the USA) export diesel to europe. They have higher demand and higher prices to pay for it. On the flip side, they (Europe) have less demand for gasoline, so their refineries export it to the US. It's really economics, not politics. One might observe that since we make low-sulfur diesel to even the european specification, for years, then there was no reason for high diesel prices in the US since we had plenty of domestic capacity. That would be greed that jacked up our prices.

Whoa there now. Don't leap to the wrong conclusions here, as that's what got us into this mess.

True, we (the USA) export diesel to europe. They have higher demand and higher prices to pay for it. On the flip side, they (Europe) have less demand for gasoline, so their refineries export it to the US. It's really economics, not politics. One might observe that since we make low-sulfur diesel to even the european specification, for years, then there was no reason for high diesel prices in the US since we had plenty of domestic capacity. That would be greed that jacked up our prices.

Appreciate the clarification, I'll past that on to my son.

...low-sulfur.

Another myth!...Low/no sulfur fuel has been around for years...in jet fuel!...If that black exhaust from our jet aircraft HAD sulfur in it, over time, the engine pods and wings would FALL OFF...Re sulfur + water = sulphuric acid...ally has a bit of a problem with that on the construction of modern planes!!! Kerosene/jet fuel is only a few degrees away from diesel...on the cracking tower...

...low-sulfur.

Another myth!...Low/no sulfur fuel has been around for years...in jet fuel!...If that black exhaust from our jet aircraft HAD sulfur in it, over time, the engine pods and wings would FALL OFF...Re sulfur + water = sulphuric acid...ally has a bit of a problem with that on the construction of modern planes!!! Kerosene/jet fuel is only a few degrees away from diesel...on the cracking tower...

I don't know about sulfur in jet fuel, but if it is refined from "sweet" crude it will not come out of the refinery with sulfur. It is my understanding that "back in the day," a minimum amount of sulfur was required in diesel fuel to help with lubrication, kinda like tetraethyl lead helped prevent knocking in gas motors. My comment was mainly to note that domestic refineries have been making low-sulfur diesel for export for many years.