FordContour.Org

"CRANKIN' THE TUNES"

chillin

Hey guys,

I have 2 amps in my car that draws approx. 80 amps of current. I would like to be able to park in my garage and "crank the tunes" and shake the walls with my sub while i work in the garage. If i turn the ignition to the auxillary position ( so that the engine is off), can i hook up a battery charger while i am blasting my car stereo and not drain or do any damage to the battery? If this will work what would i set the charger at?

Thanks..........

Chillin :thumbs:

I do that at the shop all the time. I normally (with one amp) usually set the charger to 2 amp manual charge (meaning it won't shut off when full) and it keeps the voltage to 12.5v (perfect).

-Dom

Dom,

So i can do this for several hours without any problem? Sounds good to me. Should i make sure i have a big battery(say 1000 cca). I only have one that is rated for 600 cca presently. Will Cranking the music with the engine off using a battery charger be harmful if you have a capicator wired in your system?

Chillin.....

• 2 weeks later...

Another option...

I took a ported 10" sub enclosure I built while back and mounted an old Rockford four channel amp and high power computer power supply to it. Two remote boxes I built, each with a Rockford 6.5" coax and 6x8" coax provide the higher frequencies. I can plug the PDA, iPod or Dingleberry directly into the amp as the source and it rocks pretty good. It also remains portable.

Edited by sav1977

Another option...

I took a ported 10" sub enclosure I built while back and mounted an old Rockford four channel amp and high power computer power supply to it. Two remote boxes I built, each with a Rockford 6.5" coax and 6x8" coax provide the higher frequencies. I can plug the PDA, iPod or Dingleberry directly into the amp as the source and it rocks pretty good. It also remains portable.

Sounds interesting. I like the old "rockford" amps. Years ago i had a "punch 40" and a "punch 4040". Bulletproof with excellent sound quality. I regret selling them!

Chillin........