FordContour.Org

X pipe and H pipe

Contourfast

I was wondering if i run true duals and use the magnaflow muffler with the x pipe built in and also use a H pipe or balance tube just before it, would it have ill effects? Im asking cause if i run true dual i want to use a balance pipe so i can put a wide band o2 sensor there to kind of get a reading from both banks when i have it retuned

...some aftermarket V6 engines run without a balance pipe,depends on the engine/pluses.Has been done both ways...

Yes i know that. From what i herd most v6 engines really dont need a x pipe or h pipe, but what i was asking would it hurt the performance if i had both? Cause i was going to use the magnaflow muffler in the middle that has a X pipe BUILT INTO the muffler, but i ALOS wanted to put a H pipe or balance tube, whatever you want to call it, BEFORE the x pipe muffle so i could put a wideband sensor in the h pipe to kind of get a reading from both banks when i have it retuned

This is a good question! I have been wondering the same thing myself. I agree that the h-pipe may not give an accurate reading, but only getting data from 1 bank doesnt give you much to go by either. The only option I see is running a wideband on both banks, but I dont think thats worth the money. Im interested to see what people have to say.....

I don't mind making a fair guess.

I don't expect much of any gases actually passing a sensor in an H pipe, whether it does or not, consider what happens if it doesn't... the sensor will not be as hot, ergo, not truely accurate. Since I do work with accoustics, I have some inate sense of tubular behavor and combined space and enclosure responces. Intuition tells me that a coupler pipe will carry a super minimal fraction of the flow as Terry mentioned. Plus that behavor will slide from one extreme to the other depending on the pulse frequency, so you might also suffer further inaccuracy over the RPM range.

Gar Tubular Mon (like a surfer says) :)