FordContour.Org

Engine Coolant Temperature Sender

LEROY84

Hey guys this is my first post and I just bought a '98 contour 2.5 V6 and my temp gauge is always at hot and doesn't move. I have checked and people with the same problem have said it was the ECT sender as this goes to the gauge. Just wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem. Also I need to know how to ground the sender?

-Thanks, Steve.

yes, others have had the same issue. the sensor is grounded through the sensor and engine. that is as long as you have a metal cross over tube, which all contours do.

• Like 1

yes, others have had the same issue. the sensor is grounded through the sensor and engine. that is as long as you have a metal cross over tube, which all contours do.

So all I have to do is unplug the sender and see if the gauge runs hot when I turn on the car? How will I know if it's the sender that's cooked? Sorry for all of the questions I'm not really a mechanic by any means lol. Any advice would be really appreciated.

-Thanks, Steve.

The sensor is the only one in the system, sensing the coolant temp for the gauge cluster and for the PCM.

Downside is that you have to drain the cooling system to change the part. Upside is that the sensor only costs about $10 to $35 depending on the brand and source.

Edited by jeffmknight