FordContour.Org

Idle RPM's?

LEROY84

Hey just wondering what everyones car's idle at, mine idles at like 750 rpms. It has been acting up lately when idling it will go up to like 1000 rpms and then it like bogs out and stalls. This doesn't happen often but it still happens. Also today I had some trouble starting my car it would turn but not start? Then it started? I am wondering if it would be the IAC valve, I checked the vacuum hose to the EGR (the green one) and the rest of the lines seem to be fine. Is the IAC valve the likely culprit here? Are there any other things I should check? Any suggestions would be appreciated. i am just getting frustrated because it seems like I fix something and then... something else, I'm sure we've all been through this.

-Thanks, Steve.

Hey just wondering what everyones car's idle at, mine idles at like 750 rpms. It has been acting up lately when idling it will go up to like 1000 rpms and then it like bogs out and stalls. This doesn't happen often but it still happens. Also today I had some trouble starting my car it would turn but not start? Then it started? I am wondering if it would be the IAC valve, I checked the vacuum hose to the EGR (the green one) and the rest of the lines seem to be fine. Is the IAC valve the likely culprit here? Are there any other things I should check? Any suggestions would be appreciated. i am just getting frustrated because it seems like I fix something and then... something else, I'm sure we've all been through this.

-Thanks, Steve.

I know what your talking about when it comes to fixing one thing then there's another. Going through the same thing here. I noticed our car doing the same thing. It would stall every once in a while. We were running reg. gas in it. After I went back to super it hasn't done it since. Idle seems more steady too. Are you running super or high test gas? No problems starting........yet.....LOL It was making a weird noise so I bought a starter and then it stopped.

why would you run regular in a car that specifically calls for premium doh.gif

idle is suppose to be 750 rpm. if you are using the AC or defroster the idle will fluctuate. also turn the wheel while not moving and the idle will fluctuate.

as for the stalling, cleaning the IAC to see if that helps is a good starting point.

Is there a specific cleaner and method I should use and will I have to replace the gasket after I remove the IAC? Just running regular gas I will try some Supreme next time I fill up. Hopefully this solves my problem. Again today though I was in a parking lot and got in my car to leave and she didn't want to start againcc_confused.gif Then I waited a minute and sure enough she started... I'm going to start by cleaning the IAC and see where that gets me.

-Thanks for the advice guys, Steve.

you don't have an SVT, you don't need to run premium.

if the gasket is damaged during removal you will need to repalce it.

what to clean it with, carb cleaner maybe? not sure. just note that cleaning the IAC only usually buys some time before it needs to be replaced.

I will run regular then, which makes my wallet happy! Also I don't know how I missed this but in another post I mentioned a hose possibly missing from my cold air intake, but someone informed me the empty spot was for a Air Intake Temperature sensor, which I found dangling there and just plugged it back into it's hole like 15 minutes ago. Also I need to change the O2 sensor I am getting codes 1151 and 0153 from. Any possibility the O2 sensor has anything to do with the problems I have described? I know this thread is getting out of control with my crap but is this the sensor that is next to where the EGR hose is at the 3-1 part of the manifold? I really need to start doing these kinds of things for myself so I can save some CASH. Any insight into my ongoing dilemma would be once again appreciated.

-Steve

I will run regular then, which makes my wallet happy! Also I don't know how I missed this but in another post I mentioned a hose possibly missing from my cold air intake, but someone informed me the empty spot was for a Air Intake Temperature sensor, which I found dangling there and just plugged it back into it's hole like 15 minutes ago. Also I need to change the O2 sensor I am getting codes 1151 and 0153 from. Any possibility the O2 sensor has anything to do with the problems I have described? I know this thread is getting out of control with my crap but is this the sensor that is next to where the EGR hose is at the 3-1 part of the manifold? I really need to start doing these kinds of things for myself so I can save some CASH. Any insight into my ongoing dilemma would be once again appreciated.

-Steve

Having fixed the IAT sensor issue may help things a bit. Have you tried running it with the sensor in position?

If you're going to clean the IAC valve, avoid the use of solvents and carb tune-up cleaners as these may damage the internal components of the IAC.

Also, if you're looking at the O2 near the EGR tube connection point, you're looking at the wrong bank. The codes you have are for bank 2 which is the front bank. You've got the right idea, though, upstream (top of precat) sensor, just the wrong side of the motor.

Having fixed the IAT sensor issue may help things a bit. Have you tried running it with the sensor in position?

I agree. Clear the codes now that the IAT sensor is in place and see if they come back.

Don't rush into replacing parts.

I'll clear the codes and see what happens. I gotta go get some stuff so I'll take her for a spin and see what happens. Thanks guys.

-Steve

Well I took her for a drive after I erased the codes and the CEL hasn't come back on yet? Hopefully it stays off forever, I can't remember how long the cycle was before the computer picked up the code last time but it wasn't long. Anyway I will keep you guys posted see if anything else happens...

-Steve

Idling seems to be more stable now and hasn't shot off and I've purposely let it idle a few times. I'm going out again to pick up some stuff so I'll take her for another drive, YAY we'll see what happens today and I think that'll be a good indicator as to whether or not the problem has gotten better. Update soon.

-Steve

Well guess who paid me a visit? Oh you guessed right, my little orange CEL. It only came up with P0153 this time though the 1151 seems to have gone away which is kind of lice I guess. I'm going to have to find this little O2 sensor and throw it clear across the parking lot, and install a new one. O2 sensor has a slow response, well pick up the pace then you piece of crap lol.

-Steve

Well guess who paid me a visit? Oh you guessed right, my little orange CEL. It only came up with P0153 this time though the 1151 seems to have gone away which is kind of lice I guess. I'm going to have to find this little O2 sensor and throw it clear across the parking lot, and install a new one. O2 sensor has a slow response, well pick up the pace then you piece of crap lol.

-Steve

The O2 you're looking for is right next to the oil filter. Top of the front precat towards the right side of the car. You'll have to get at it from underneath the car. Here's a picture from below:

post-9113-127302016043_thumb.jpg

Hit it with some PB blaster or WD40 before you start, it may save you some bloody knuckles and bad language. Once you are able to remove it, I recommend using an old lawnmower to "take care of it". Very satisfying indeed.

Thanks a lot Jeff, I was a little hesitant to ask since I've been doing a lot of that in the past few days. Is there a specific O2 sensor I should ask for or are the two pre-cat sensors the same just in different locations... See look at that I feel fine so I ask more questions lol. I have a guy who can get parts at cost so that'll save me some cash for sure! Lawnmower=Sweet Satisfaction

-Steve

Thanks a lot Jeff, I was a little hesitant to ask since I've been doing a lot of that in the past few days. Is there a specific O2 sensor I should ask for or are the two pre-cat sensors the same just in different locations... See look at that I feel fine so I ask more questions lol. I have a guy who can get parts at cost so that'll save me some cash for sure! Lawnmower=Sweet Satisfaction

-Steve

No problem, Steve. The only dumb question is an unasked one. And the posts help others who are in the same boat.

Yes, both of the upstream sensors are the same (front and rear, before precats). The ones after the precats are different from the before ones, though, so make sure you specify when ordering. You'll know by the shape of the connector, one's round and the other's square. BTW, rockauto.com has some O2s for around $30. greedy.gif

Edited by jeffmknight