FordContour.Org

Tranny or clutch?

jperezsvt1998

When i start the car and i am holding down the clutch the car runs fine. As soon as i let go of the clutch the car stalls out when it is neutral. When the car is off i can wiggle the shifter into 1st 2nd and 3rd but it is impossible to put it in 4th 5th an reverse. Any help would be appreciated.

Ford Contour Svt 1998

Sounds like you may be stuck in gear.First I would check both ends of the cable,at the trans and the stick to be sure both cables are attached and the cable ends are not worn or poped off. If these are OK and it still stays in gear then it maybe the tower 'bolt' has broken leaving it in one gear all the time...

So are you going to install it yourself? if not the labor is about $1200 +/-. Did you try to operate the shift levers by hand when you were under the car? which cable was off the black or white? If it is a problem with the cable ends then no replacing the tranny would not fix the problem.

AF

ok so the new tranny is in and the car is up and running good, cant feel any more play in the shift stick either.. i have a couple of other questions..

1. how do i tighten up the clutch pedal mine seems a little soft but not to bad

2. what is the best kind of tranny fluid to use and can someone post a link to how i can do that myself

Hope you're not running it without fluid in it, not even in 'neutral'! ..Now, regarding your questions:

1. Clutch is hydraulic self-adjusting type. Only thing you can do is make sure it's bled properly, the rest 'is what it is'.

2. You have probably read somewhere by now "absolutely never run ATF!".. The appropriate lube is a Full Synthetic Manual Trans Fluid http://www.fordconto...ans-lube-chart/ I am running Royal Purple Synchromax which many have used and is a bit less expensive than the Ford lube. I think there are a few others you can use, but these two are the best IMO. Should take almost three quarts, fill to spill. The port is an Allen-drive plug on the front of the trans. Drain is on the right side of the lower-most part of the trans, and IIRC it's also Allen.

Edited by jeffmknight

Make sure it doesn't have ATF in the trans. If it does, you'll end up with another trans that doesn't want to shift. The color of the fluid should be amber, not red. (or purple in the case of Royal Purple)

Royal Purple SynchroMax works very well. The Ford "honey" synthetic manual trans lube is the spec'd lube. 5w-40 diesel engine oil works well to flush out a trans that has had ATF in it. Use it for 500 miles, drain, and refill with the correct fluid. The trans capacity is 2.2-2.5L depending on the year. Buy 3 qts. Fill to spill.

• 4 weeks later...

i had one installed a couple months ago so i didnt put a new one in

ok so now i have a new problem..

the wheel bearing was bad so i got a new one and took it took the knuckle out got the new bearing and hub pressed in..

i reassemble everything.

turned the car on put it in reverse and the car would just rev but wouldnt move then i put it into first and the same thing happened

I have no ideas what it could be any help would be great

When you swapped the tranny out and didn't change the clutch b/c it was new....... did you swap the new throw out bearing into the used tranny? and if you did was the TOB bled properly?

There is also a master cylinder for the TOB that could be the issue.

How do you know the used tranny is good?

AF

• 2 weeks later...