FordContour.Org

Won't hold more than 3/4 tank. Speedometer off - help

Ourobos

I have a 99 SVT Contour.  First, the gas gauge never gets above 3/4 tank, when full.  I think the gauge is correct, because I ran it to Empty, and it wouldn't start back, had to put gas in it to fire it up.  So basically, it will only hold about 8-9 gallons of gas.  The tank underneath is not dented, and looks in proper order.  Anyone know why it wouldn't only hold that much fuel?

Second, my tires are stock size, yet my speedometer is 10mph off, verified with GPS.  I'm turning 3200 rpm at a TRUE 75 MPG.  But my gauge is reading 85 MPH.  Why would it turn higher RPM and false speedo readings with proper size tires? Any way to correct it?

Thanks for any help.

Are you the original owner? Have the gauges been modified (overlays, etc)?

I would first suspect the fuel level sender. If there is anything inside the tank displacing the normal capacity, the gauge should continue to read the level correctly regardless. Maybe a vent is plugged causing a pressure buildup in the tank and stopping the fuel dispenser early.

Not original owner.  It has the original SVT white rface gauges.  I ran it out of gas, it was out at empty.  But when I fill it up, only holds about 8 gallons and shows 3/4 on the gauge.  Almost like a baffle is in the tank.  Could teh vent plug cause that?  The tank seems undented etc from inspecting it.  I think the gauges are correct (gas anyway).

Any ideas on the 10mph off speedometer, could the VSS be faulty?

8 gallons, are a bit more than 47 liters, our tanks can fill up to 55 or 56 litters, it is something more than 3/4 of tank.

With this metric it can be said that the fuel gauge is working ok.

The VSS typically works fine or it doesn't work at all. I do not recall if the V6 uses a different speedo gear than the 4cyl. If so, it's possible that some one replaced the trans or VSS components with incorrect parts. That would explain the discrepancy. 

I can't think of another reason for the fuel tank to only hold 3/4 capacity.

I ordered a new VSS, will have it this week and let you guys know if that was the problem.  As for the tank, I'm at a loss too.  Is the sending unit inside the tank, on top if it, and do I need to drop the tank to get to it?

I would drop the tank and check it all out.  If you can really only get 8 gallons in or out of it you will need to drop the tank to correct the issue.  Once the tank is out the problem should be very evident.

Thanks.  Going to throw a gallon of gas in the trunk and ride it past Empty to make sure.  I let it hit Empty once, and it wouldn't start so I assumed the gauge was correct, but going to double check before I drop it.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be that at one time someone had indiglo gauges installed and they pulled all the needles off to install.

I've seen that happen plenty of times over the years. You can either replace the cluster or re-align the needles with the cluster face cover off.

-Dom