FordContour.Org

brake caliper came off!!

Dave Smeaton

Is the caliper coming loose or the caliper bracket coming loose? Lock-tite is what I use on these mounting bolts, tightened to the following:

Caliper bracket 89 ft-lbs front & back     Front caliper guide bolts 21 ft-lbs     Rear caliper guide bolts 30 ft-lbs

Thanks,It was the caliper,not the bracket,I used locktite this time and its tight.Ive never had one come loose on me ever and thats a lot of calipers on a lot of cars so to have it happen twice in a 2 day period got me thinking I was doing something wrong,Ive never seen a caliper with one mounting bolt either.One thing I did this time was I put two wheel nuts on the disk itself to  make sure it was tight to the hub when I tightened  the caliper,I dont see it making a difference but maybe?

Keep us posted. Simply not tight enough maybe; but now that you used (smart move) the two lug nuts on the rotor/disc in order to keep the hub from rotating while tightening the caliper, problem should be rectified.

Aussie - I use Loctite® Red Threadlocker 272™ (271 for the DIY market) (Automotive Aftermarket Only) withstands temperatures to 450ºF. This high temperature, high strength red threadlocker is formulated for heavy-duty applications. Prevents bolts up to 1 1/2" (36 mm) from loosening due to shock, severe vibration, and heat stress. Removable only when heated to approx. 500 degrees F. and the use of hand tools. NOTE: I haven't had to use heat to remove these, but I don't often exceed 19mm fittings so this may be an explanation.
Typical Applications: Camshaft sprocket bolts, crankshaft bolts, idler bearings, press fit filler tubes, transmission input and output shaft threads, ring gear and shock bolts.

Blue is preferred, as you state, since heat is not required for removal - Loctite® Blue Threadlocker 243™ (242 for the DIY market) (Automotive Aftermarket Only) is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners between 1/4" and 3/4" (6 to 20 mm), which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration. The thixotropic nature of Loctite 243 reduces the migration of liquid product after application to the substrate. Loctite 243 provides robust curing performance. It not only works on active metals (e.g. brass, copper) but also on passive substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces. The product offers high temperature performance and oil tolerance. It tolerates minor surface contaminations from various oils, such as cutting, lubrication, anti-corrosion and protection fluids. Removed with hand tools only.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.