FordContour.Org

RADIATOR FAN WILL NOT TURN ON

hornetswarm

1997 FORD CONTOUR, 4 cylinder, 2.0, automatic.

1. With the coolant temp sensor unplugged the fan will come on. (high speed). Check engine light comes on with code = p0118.

2. With the coolant temp sensor plugged in the fan NEVER comes on. Car gets hot, but does not overheat. If I plug in while the fan is going from above step, the fan shuts off.

3. With the coolant temp sensor unplugged, the fan comes on, and if I remove the low speed fan relay, the fan goes from  (high speed) to low speed.

4. A/C compressor will not turn on (not worried about this yet)

5. No other codes.

6. What I have done

A. Replaced ECT temp sensor, coolant sender, high and low speed fan relay, slaved in a different ECM (part number was off a little).

7. With live data running on a OBD2 and the engine coolant temp sensor hooked up, the engine temp reads normal. 80 when start up, and then up to 185 under normal conditions.  However, with the ECT sensor hooked up and reading 185, fan never comes on.

8. When I run a diagnostic on my OBD2, the fan turns on, but shuts off when the test is over.

I have a schematic and all lines read pin to pin, except reading to the PCM relay....??? Not sure where this is at, but I would assume the PCM relay is good, since the fan operates on both high and low speed, with the ECT sensor unplugged and low cooling fan relay removed. 

This is stumping me.

Edited by hornetswarm

Also replaced thermostat, coolant, spark plugs and wires, timing belt and tensioners, valve cover gaskets, pcv valve, egr solenoid. Fan will not come on unless ect sensor unplugged. The car idles ok, but when put in gear, the idle drops to 600 and surges. Drives great, just no fan with everything hooked up and rough idle while in gear. No codes. Unless I drive with ect unplugged, then I get p0118.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so changed the fan thermal resistor, no change.  Voltage to fan is good, since it turns on with the ECT disconnected.  It has to be the computer, but I don't know how, since the computer also turns on the high speed cooling fan. 

Hey hornetswarm. I have a similar issue with my 98 Zetec. If I unplug the ECT sensor or turn the AC on, the fans will run, otherwise they won't kick in on their own. This actually led to a head gasket issue that I'm in the middle of now. I plan to investigate my fans when I have it all back together. For the meantime, search "zetec cooling fans-do not run" on the forums here. It is a long but very important thread of someone who was in the same position as you and i are in right now. If you figure out what's wrong, please post it on here so I can look for that on my car as well. Hope this helps a little bit!

Read that entire thread. I have single fan. I think I have a bad computer. However the schematics say there is a pcm power relay....no idea the location though. Also. With a.c. on the high speed fan does not turn on. Wtf. Pull temp sensor and fan comes on. New temp sensor wires read good. Voltage is good. Temp says 185 on the live date but no low speed fan.

Edited by hornetswarm

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Mine

Similiar situation....

If I let it heat up.... tooo........   217 fahrenheit...

THe fan will kick on...............    I think that is still way to oooo hot....

should kick on sooner.... than that     

What is the consensus on  temps it should kick on?

My 98 zetec  had same problem . There are 2 temp sensors one is called the temp sensor the other is a temp sender. I changed both now fans work at 200 fahrenheit...

Forgot also changed the radiator over flow tank had a small crack  in the top couldn't even see it. would not hold pressure was told that could also be the problem with the fans not enough pressure in the system.  

The fact that the fans won't kick in while the AC is on would lead me to believe that the pressure sensors in the AC loop are suspect. Does the AC put out good cold air or not? I would think that if you don't get cold air with it on, then there is a leak in the system resulting in low pressure, and therefore the sensor isn't getting the right input to kick the fans in.

I have yet to find my issue. I have a low idle when in gear, the car vibrates at times when the fans do kick in and then smooths out when they kick out. I am looking into purchasing a pcm off of a guy soon to see if this changes its behavior.

• 1 month later...

So this thread kinda falls in line with a problem I am having with my 99' 2.0. so the radiator fans seem to operate normally except that the fan doesnt come on when the ac is running. 211 the low speed comes on. 217 high speed kicks in. high speed comes on when the ac dual pressure switch is activated. I'm stumped. any ideas.