FordContour.Org

system install (Warranty)

aznkid922

I want to get a system installed.Probably 1 10",or 1 12" sub. If i get it done professionally lets for instance by circuit city or Best buy or Columbus Car Audio and Accessories, will it void any warranties on my car? i have a 2000 contour with 20,000 miles and a warranty. I was just wondering before i do all this stuff. THANKS ALOT

Guest Stock_tour04

no it wont as long as the install is done by a professionall intallation shop. it will void the warranty if the system is pulling too many watts off of one battery or if it installed incorrectly.

Make sure you don't care about insurance. Most companies won't cover aftermarket wiring. Also, Circuit city is a rip off. They will charge you $100+ for installation. Your local car audio dealer will do a better install than the untrained 17 year old kids who wire in however they can. Not to mention you can usually say "Well, I don't know..." and the PROFESSIONAL installer will say, "OK, I can drop $10 for ya." Talking from experience, I once dropped installation all together because I made more than enough money off the equipment alone.

I used to install at Best Buy and there really isn't a whole lot to it if you want to do it yourself. Nothing like a job well done, eh? I've done all of my cars, bunches of friends and of course a butt load of customers. First, let's start by picking out your equipment.

My set up:

*Borrowed* Rockford Fosgate 150S amp (~$150)

CD player JVC KD-SH77 Dignifine 2.1 ~$250 off ebay

sub Elemental Designs K12.44 12" $130 shipped to my door

CD changer JVC 12-disc $100 on discount from Best Buy

Wood for box - $30 for 8"x4" sheet MDF (half of which I used, the other half built a box for my friend's Focus ZX3)

Felt to cover wall $3

Wire harness for CD player $15.99

Hook ups for amp and sub (power, signal, speaker, terminals, etc.) ~$35, most of it was scrap anyway so I didn't need to buy anything.

A couple hours later; Viola!

278249_84_full.jpg

278249_92_full.jpg

The Burger King cup is an extra custom touch. :wink

What are you looking for? Super loud or super clean or a nice mix of both and which one had priority?

i will give you a hand if you want. i know the inside and out of this car, and i can even upgrade your alt. and starter wires for you as well. if you want a 'professional' job done you will pay more than $100. i did a very large high dollar install ina Navigator and we had over $500 in just wires and install stuff. (all Knukonceptz.com) plus i charged about $300ish to do it. a very good install that is done 100% perfect will not take you a few hours. i know guys that spent 6 months on doing their installs. it took me like 3 weeks to get the Navigator finished. if your stereo system has butt connectors in it then it is not done properly. in my book, every connection WILL be soldered and shrink wrapped. let me know if you need any assistance.

Ben

dude, how do you keep the changer from skipping? its in the same box with the sub. doenst it skip whjen its cranked? [/b]

Nope. :D It's not really inside the sub enclosure, but it is right beside it. Honestly, the head unit skips more than the changer and that's just from big bumps in the road. I'm very happy with my JVC players. :wub: Oh, and the sub does bump incredibly well for only 160wrms. :woot :woot