FordContour.Org

Corvette Help needed in UK

Freebird

Hi Guys

This is VERY off-topic but I hope someone can help please.

A friend of mine has bought a 1984 Corvette Cross Fire injection, the injector had caught fire and burnt all rubber vacuum pipes and connectors on the engine.

Basically he needs to import to the UK all of the destroyed parts, the problem is that no one is sure what needs replacing, so he needs a photo showing how the engine SHOULD be in order to identify the parts, and a dealer who will ship to the UK.

I know he needs a throttle cable, cruise control cable and all ancilleries on top of the engine.

Maybe someone could recommend a US Corvette Forum for the information?

Dont throw rock at me please, I drive a Cougar.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I work for a Chevrolet Dealer, possibly I could lend some assistance? What specifically do you need?

-Dom

Hi Terry & Dom

I've arranged to go up and look at the car tomorrow, i will take a few pics and try to get an idea of whats needed, and mail them to you tomorrow. I appreciate your offers of help with this as it will be good to get the car running again (I have been promised I can take it out when its running :rolleyes: )

The Cat is running very well thanks Terry, its done 3k and I recently had it serviced at a non Fraud Garage. I dont know if you know this Terry, but the warranty laws have changed here, and to keep FSH cars dont have to be serviced at a manufacturers dealers, the book can be stamped as long as its with a reputable dealer.

I may still have a grudge with Fraud (about my clutch not being changed when the engine was out), but since the service the car pulls like a train and the hood rises a little when I give her a little exercise (only a little as Im keeping it down until its done at least 5k), and I get to hear the Cougar growl which I never heard before in the 3 years I have had the car.

I checked your web site this week by the way and bookmarked it for future use.

Thanks again.

Phil

Hi Guys

Ive just been over to look at the car and to take some pics, i've uploaded them here PhotoBox Corvette . The car looks a bit sad shoved into the corner of a yard, but its just been bought by my friend for rebuild/restoration. So no need to send a Seals team over to rescue abused American Muscle, it will be cared for and restored I promise.

All we know is that when the previous owner had the car the injectors caught light and burnt a lot of pipes etc on the top of the engine and it hasnt run since. We were looking for a photo to show how the engine SHOULD look and compare with what we have in order to identify missing parts.

It does need a new throttle cable and cruise control cable, and I believe some vacuum pipes, there may have been other plastic pipes that burned away too. The wiring harness seems to be ok.

If we could ID all of the missing and burnt parts, and locate a dealer in the US who can supply them, we have a guy going to the US later this month who can collect them and bring them back over.

Im going to have a chat with my mate later to see if any parts have been removed from the engine which he may have stored away.

If you need any specific information or photos in order to help us then I will organise it straight away.

Thats going to be a beautiful machine when its back on the road for sure!!

Thanks again for your offers of help.

Phil

...I think Dom will be best for this as he's a 'Bow-Tie' guy!!! :D

Hey Terry

Whats 'Bow-Tie' guy!!!

(the smiley gives me a bit of a clue though)

Phil

Printed off a couple of illustrations that may help. I'll scan them tonight and post for you to see.

-Dom

P.S. Bow-tie is the emblem shape for Chevrolet. ;)

Printed off a couple of illustrations that may help. I'll scan them tonight and post for you to see.

-Dom

P.S. Bow-tie is the emblem shape for Chevrolet.  ;)

Thanks Dom

I thought Terry may have been put off by the art work, appologies Terry. It used to be a 'show car'. Its not as bad as it may look, the paintwork can be restored and re-laquered Im told. It certainly dont belong where it is, but space is a problem near London.

Compared to your average 'Euro car', this machine is really something else!

Thanks again Terry and Dom

Phil

Freebird, I actually like the paint job, reminisant of the 70s, early 80s style.  :ph34r:

Now my wife would kill me if I did something like that.

Hey, thanks 93Nighthawk, it has a lot of potential and the paint job does look great, Im still into rock music from that era (hence Freebird), but I gotta admit I would be a touch embarresed owning a car with a paint job like that. I keep forgetting I'm pushing 60 now, and my wife mutters like Pa Bear every time she gets in the Cougar so I got no chance with this.

The car doesn't deserve the treatment its had though, and a lot of American Muscle ends up this way over here, either because people dont have the knowledge to restore them or total lack of skills with Amereican cars. Its a real shame.

My friend who bought this one used to import Muscle cars from the US, and has litteraly owned hundreds in his time, now he looks for abused ones to restore and this is the latest. This is a link to a pic of him with his last last one

TransAm

When she is all sorted I will let you all know.

BTW, I very much appreciate you guys helping me out here, especially when its nothing to do with Contours. All good 'hands accross the water' stuff. I did try one of the Corvette Forums but got no response so far.

Thanks

Phil

Edited by Freebird