FordContour.Org

SVT failed emissions testing - bad IMRC ??

stargazer777

Hi all,

I just finished a quick post in the New Member/Intro area. I did a forum search on my topic, but didn't find much that really helped.

My '98 Contour SVT has been mothballed for a year or so, as it could not pass emissions. I was told by the inspecting shop that I had to replace the IMRC. How valid does that sound? (since I don't know). How easily do the SVT IMRCs fail ?

I couldn't get the work done back then due to pressing medical bills etc (I wont bore you any further on that). I might be able to get things fixed up now -- but I don't want to spend $200+ on a new IMRC unless I'm sure it's really gone bad.

I had heard there was a Ford dealership in Las Vegas that had excellent prices on parts -- does anyone know which dealership that might be ? Or is there one out my way with really good prices? Or does anyone here have a spare IMRC for twenty bucks? (lol ... just kidding).

Anyway, all constructive comments are welcome -- I just want to get my 'baby' running again . . .

- Dave G.

The IMRCs commonly fail, or in my case, work intermittently.

Take the "Duratec" cover off the left side of the engine (the front to you). Monitor what the cable does when you rev the engine way up. I can see the cable housing move a little when the cable gets pulled for the secondaries. If you see movement, it is working (maybe not 100%).

The IMRC opens a set of shorter intake runners to improve high rpm breathing.

Edited by sav1977

What State are you in?Members may have shops that can pass you,depending on where your at! B)

I'm a California native transplanted some years ago to northern Virginia :D

- Dave G.

Is your check engine light on?

only reason that I know of that the imrc would cause you to fail is if the cel is on because of it. some states you fail on the spot if the cel is on.

And make sure your connecting rod to your front set is hooked up. I noticed on mine that it was not, causing that set of "butterflies" to be stuck wide open at all times. There's a little plastic clip that you can pick up from the dealer for like 5 bucks that the rod snaps into. I think I've read somewhere that there is another fix for it too but apparently it's a common problem too. Don't know it'd kick on the CEL though. Just something I noticed on mine and thought I'd pass the info along.

Thanks for your input, guys . . . I found the Las Vegas dealer with good prices I had lost the info for. I'm going to get some more testing on the SVT though, and tinker with the IMRC before I get a new one. I'll keep you posted . . .

- Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your input, guys . . . I found the Las Vegas dealer with good prices I had lost the info for. I'm going to get some more testing on the SVT though, and tinker with the IMRC before I get a new one. I'll keep you posted . . .

- Dave

if you could, post also the printout of your emission readouts, i just passed mine yesterday after 2 weeks straight of tinkering and 8 re-tests...

if you could, post also the printout of your emission readouts, i just passed mine yesterday after 2 weeks straight of tinkering and 8 re-tests...

PM me before you go through that BS again,your clear for 2 years now though.