FordContour.Org

3l oval port swap help

redsvt

Hey guys I am looking to do my 3l swap soon I've been reading up on it a lot but I just still don't feel comfortable doing it myself this will be my first swap ever an I don't wana mess up lol so tell me if this sounds good I'm wanting to do a full oval port swap with my svt cams intake ac commpresser alternator I've heard the oval port swap produces more ponies than the hybrid swap. But I'm still confused do you guys know anybody in central north Carolina that could help me out? An also I still need more tips on my swap!

Confusion is a starting point. Many have embarked on your journey, and there is alot of different sites with self-help instructions that lead you in one way or another. In the end, you need someone who has "successfully" trekked there before and has done the job.

I could post a how-to here, however I've learned over the years that some people don't grasp concepts the same as others. What works for one, doesn't work for all. That's just like instructions, they may work for someone who has a good idea of what they are getting into and understands the basics of the job at hand. However, if you are diving in cold with no previous experience or knowledge... There isn't much any instructions will help. You will have questions that people will either not answer, or answer incorrectly - Which will lead you in a bad direction. An engine swap is about steps.. Everything is a step. You move from step 1 to step 2.. and so on and so forth. If one of those steps is wrong or fudged.... The whole build is jeopardized.

I can answer any questions you have along the way, as I have built my fair share of 3L engines over the past 9 years. However, if you are looking for a complete guide and step by step... I can't provide that to you.

-Dom

Yeah I haven't even started my swap yet and people are already giving me wrong information but I am just going to use this site and contour.org and see if I can pull it all together. But buckeye I still have some questions on what motor to use I've heated that it is easier to use the 3l out of a 99 Ford Taurus nothing newer. Is that true? And if so why? Also would I be better off doing the hybrid swap? Like 2.5 heads intake cams etc? I just don't wana do this swap then throw like twenty codes. An not pass inspection. I'm just looking for the easiest way to do this swap and through all my research I have still failed to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

The 'easiest swap' (all have their quirks) will involve as little disassembly of the engine as possible in my opinion. This reduces the probability of more costly problems and is one of the reasons I'm a big advocate of the Full 3L swap. Despite this, there is still a bit of work involved getting the external systems (wiring, EGR, fuel system, etc..) which still require a lot of care (the fuel system especially!) but are less of an issue in my eyes since a mechanical failure is more costly/difficult to repair.

I solely use only 2004+ engines in our builds. You can use any engine over the year 2000, but for us the sweet spot is the last generation of D30 engines in the Taurus/Sable. They are not more expensive and they perform better than their older counterparts.

-Dom

One thing you must plan for is aftermarket tuning. No matter which route you take to complete your 3L swap, you must get it tuned or you'll never pass emission testing. Add this cost to your budget before taking the plunge.

The best engines to use are Taurus/Sable '01-05. '01-03 and '04-05 engines have some minor differences, but overall, the swap is the same. Power output seems to be slightly higher with the '04-05 engines. Taurus/Sable engines tend to run several hundred $$ less than Escape engines. Escape engines are essentially the same, but the upper engine mount bracket is already installed and the oil pan and front cover are compatible with the Contour/Cougar. The Taurus engine will require you to modify the upper engine bracket to fit (not a big deal) or remove a head to install (without modification to the bracket). Otherwise, external bits from the old 2.5L engine will swap onto the 3L block without modification. All 3L blocks require cutting off a bolt tab to install the Contour's alternator bracket (again, very simple). Do not bother using the SVT cams in a complete 3L engine. You will not gain any real performance from them.

3L hybrids are more sensitive to the builder's expertise. Most fail because the builder cut corners. Plus, the heads are used parts and typically already have high mileage when they are installed. If you choose to go this route, it is not necessary to modify the heads in any way (ie install bigger valves, port/polish, etc). I recommend a basic head refresh with new stem seals and such, but otherwise, leave them alone.

• Like 1