FordContour.Org

What HID's fit svt best?

Trev

I have 8,000K with 55W Ballasts that make the bulbs look like 6,000K. Either way, they all work fine - It's a personal choice of what color you want. I tend to stick to the 4-6K range as the most light output is in that range. Anything higher and you sacrifice light output for a pretty color...lol.

-Dom

It all depends what you're going for. If you want performance, then you should go for the 4100-4300k kits. That is OEM on all cars sold on the market today. It gives you a pure white light, with a twinge of blue. In inclement weather it gives you the most visability.

If you want to go for cosmetics, my advice is to go for the 5000k kit, which is blue/white in color, and most comparable to an OEM kit after about 4 years of use... Anything higher than 5000k will give you way too much UV light output, and your performance will drop dramatically.

I have installed close to a 100 sets of HID over the last 10 years, and that is my best advice. Lastly, if you plan on keeping the car, then go for the Philips HID kits, found at www.hid-online.com Have this same exact kit on my SVT. Installed it in May of 2003, and they still run strong.

Edited by Quicksilver

• 2 weeks later...

Quicksilver, do you have to aim the headlights lower after the HID conversion?

No you don't. However, with the stock lights, there will be tons of glare. This is something which cannot be avoided, as the headlights in our cars were designed to be used in conjunction with Halogen bulbs. Since the focal points of the Halogen and Xenon bulbs are at a different point, there will be glare. In addition, the Xenon bulb emits 3 times as much light as a Halogen bulb...

• 3 weeks later...

I run 6K on my lows, 8K on my highs, but I wanted that pretty color LOL. Doing fogs next :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had read that Phillips does not base bulbs in anything but the D2 style. I have looked into a few sites that is showing that the Phillips in an aftermarket base is an Asian knockoff. I could be wrong as that site is a German site and they might make them for their cars but Just be carefull. I sell HIDs local and tried to find Philipps at first to sell and thats when I ran into that problem. I would love to offer a Phillips bulbs to my customers but so far it is sketchy to my. This site shows a legit box and all so I really dont know.

I have 55W 8,000K in my headlights and 35W 3,000K in my fogs (gives it the natural look with tons more light output).

-Dom

I just use the 35w 8k and I like that color. Some cars the colors vary. Example, my wifes Prius, the 8k seems bluer. My Jeep XJ I use 6k and when fully charged they are just really bright!. I have 3k in my fogs of the SVT and the Jeep. I love the yellow effect here in Denver. It helps alot in the bad weather. If you need any mor advice then ask me. I have done tons of research and found out that "sometimes" it does not matter what kit you buy. I have a $35 ebay old non digital kit I got in 04 that still works. Flickers sometimes but is still going. My new digital kits are the same as others that I have tested. I just have a great supplier local to Cali so I do not have to deal with customs. Ebay can be a great place just be careful that they might not honor the warranty or that after you sent it back to them the shipping cost equals a better kit local to you. Look at www.facebook.com/teamcustoms you will see the SVT with 8k lows and 3k(yellow) fogs. I also have deep blue LED high beams that are fricken cool. I have not updated my picks since turkey day so its not on there.

Edited by robdog

• 2 months later...

are those used for the foglights???

I just use the 35w 8k and I like that color. Some cars the colors vary. Example, my wifes Prius, the 8k seems bluer. My Jeep XJ I use 6k and when fully charged they are just really bright!. I have 3k in my fogs of the SVT and the Jeep. I love the yellow effect here in Denver. It helps alot in the bad weather. If you need any mor advice then ask me. I have done tons of research and found out that "sometimes" it does not matter what kit you buy. I have a $35 ebay old non digital kit I got in 04 that still works. Flickers sometimes but is still going. My new digital kits are the same as others that I have tested. I just have a great supplier local to Cali so I do not have to deal with customs. Ebay can be a great place just be careful that they might not honor the warranty or that after you sent it back to them the shipping cost equals a better kit local to you. Look at www.facebook.com/teamcustoms you will see the SVT with 8k lows and 3k(yellow) fogs. I also have deep blue LED high beams that are fricken cool. I have not updated my picks since turkey day so its not on there.

would you mind telling me your cali supplier?

I have a couple more questions.

those that have installed the hids, how snug is the connection from where the bulb goes into the headlight and the harness? I have had a kit before on my old chevy and even though it said it was for my car, the rubber/plastic piece that filled the hole of the headlight where you put the bulb in was too small and rattled and eventually the bulb fell out of the headlight!

what do you guys mean by glare? i know that the lights will not be like ones in a projector and will scatter because of the design of our headlights.

my headlights are old (97) and i see that i can get replacements online for 70 for both passenger and driver. would this be a good idea for optimal viability or should i get one of the lens cleaners instead? I am going towards getting new headlights with a 4300k conversion kit.

would getting better fog lights/hid conversion be a good idea? or are they too low to the ground to do any good

i have bad night vision as of now and really want to get the best possible viability and brightness while driving my contour

thanks in advance!

God watch out in Alabama if you head that way. I had projection beam fog lights in my Mustang and got pulled over by 15 cops in a captain d's parking lot for what they said was " driving through town with my fog lights on".