FordContour.Org

IMRC not working (can it be repaired?)

bgrogan01

Hey guys I have a bit of an issue. My imrc is going out on me. It works most of the time but a few times on long drives it quits working. Once I stop and turn the car off and let it sit for a few minutes then restart the car it works fine. It has done this twice in the past month. I drive this car every day to work 19 miles one way and it never fails on me then. I had the original imrc die on me last year and I replaced it with a used one. Needless to say I would rather not replace this one with a used one. I would prefer to fix this one. Does anyone know how to repair these? I know it's not the cable and it's connected to the linkage like its suppose to be. Oh yeah and the car is a 99 svt stock 2.5 with 150k miles on it. No check engine lights either.

There is a fix to replace the transistor inside the IMRC, however in my experience it's a temporary fix as I've seen many owners do this and the boxes end up quitting a short time later. I always replace the box, it lasts 80-100K the first time around.... Replacing it again is probably the last time you will do so.

-Dom

Sam or svttour has two for sale on CEG. They are brand new but he wants $125 each for them. I'm just going to go to a jy and get one since its pointless to fix it. Thanks buckeye!

Normally they fail to open. In some cases they can stick open and not shut (rare) and the idle will be poor and low end performance will suffer.

-Dom

I have a simple question. What symptoms will the cause once it goes out? And how would I check to see if mine has gone out?

I am having a hesitation at low RPM's.

Look for the linkage down under the TB. Then reve the engine and see if it moves. You can also pull the cover and see if the cable moves when you rev the engine if it does then it is working.

AF