FordContour.Org

General issue... Power steering leak

pajacobsen

Hello All,

My neighbor backed into my car, tapping it on the left front fender (the driver's side)

I know have a power steering leak, but I can't tell where it is from, so HELP:

1) How do I determine if the leak is from the pump?

2) If the leak is from the pump, how do I replace the pump with mimimum fuzz? And what should the pump cost?

3) Can the leak be from a tube/pipe running from the pump? If so, how do I get to the tube/pipe and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Pajacobsen

I had a power sterring leak on my Mustang and it turned out to be the spring clip on the bottom had given out. Just throwing that out there. Maybe find a shop that will let you look under the car. I had the benefit of my car being at the tranny shop and got to see her in all her upskirt glory!! (rust and all)

Hitting the wheel could cause the rack end seal to fail causing a leak at the rack. Determining where the leak is coming from (i.e. area) will give a better indication of where it's coming from.

-Dom

Hitting the wheel could cause the rack end seal to fail causing a leak at the rack. Determining where the leak is coming from (i.e. area) will give a better indication of where it's coming from.

-Dom

I will take a look (again - I tried but I cannot see any obvious spot.)

I replaced my rack a few months ago due to a blown seal. I do remember it being very hard to tell where the leak was at first because all the fluid was falling onto the subframe and spread out into mass confusion from there... IIRC I finally spotted it by looking thru the wheel with a flashlight, but mine was on the passenger side so this may or may not work. Fluid would gush out of the rack boot for a few seconds after moving the steering wheel then drip for a while.

With your car having been hit on the drivers side, I wouldn't think there would be a problem with the pump as it is on the other side.. although you're gonna wish it was the pump. I say this because replacing the rack requires dropping the subframe, a real PITA if you haven't done one of these before.

Edited by jeffmknight