FordContour.Org

temp gauge issues

jovan915

the gauge in my car stopped working for some reason, idk if it was putting the new starter in. any ideas what i can do to fix it. have a check engine light on to fix a o2 should i check it again to see if there is a problem that is causing the gauge?

Your temp guage sensor connector is by the front starter bolt..... did you or someone disconnect it to get at the bolt better ? IF so then maybe it is not connected or not all the way seated. The wire could have been damaged.

coolant leak.jpg

AF

i paid a mechanic to do it i was thinking it was disconected on accident or something cuz u know it happens anpther question how do you know if radiador coolant is flowing im looking at it my car hasnt used any of it i think iv been using my A/c alot

i paid a mechanic to do it i was thinking it was disconected on accident or something cuz u know it happens anpther question how do you know if radiador coolant is flowing im looking at it my car hasnt used any of it i think iv been using my A/c alot

Periods. Commas. Sentence Capitalization. Things I miss.....

Periods. Commas. Sentence Capitalization. Things I miss.....

You're just an old fart! GET over it Swabbie....... youdontneedthatstuffthesedaysitsatextingthing...... LOL

Back to the question at hand. Check both sensor connections and see that they are properly connected and that the wires are undamaged. The temp guage sensor is in the left center of the pic and the ECM sensor is at the upper right edge. The pic was taken when the tranny was out looking up from below. The starter sits right below that pipe and you can check my posting on clutches in the NW Forum to see their location. The point is it is very tight in that area and to get the starter out one needs to make a hole to get it through. I would not be surprised if a connector was removed and not seated correctly when replaced. If the guage worked before it should work after.

Check it and post results. If there is still a problem remove the ECM sensor connector and see if the fans come on. Have you checked the ECM relay in the underhood fuse box?

AF

Check the wire. The temp sender for the guage uses a single-wire connection. It is below the throttle body and in front of the starter.. on the metal pipe that connects the rubber cooling hoses to the engine block. Not to confuse it with the nearby two-wire temp sender for the pcm, which runs independent from the gauge circuit.

As far as coolant flow goes, you should check when it's hot. Have the motor running and rev it up a bit while watching the coolant tank. When the motor is hot and rpms are up, you should be able to see coolant moving within the tank as it circulates with more force.

FYI - Your frequent usage of the A/C system will have no effect on the coolant level. The level may fluctuate somewhat during operation of the vehicle. It should rise a bit as the system warms & pressurizes and the air in the top of the tank gets compressed. If you are losing coolant, it is leaking out of the system somewhere. Basically, the A/C system uses a seperate high-pressure gas refrigerant that is not tied in any way to the engine's liquid cooling system.

Hope this helps clear things up some..

Edited by jeffmknight

yah i guess it was loose thats the reason why the temperature gauge wasnt movie i go the guy to fix it but idk if its jus me i noticed where ever the needle is at when u turn the car off thats where it stays and when u turn it on it moves to whatever the car temp is made we think it wasnt working today when i used the car and used it again min later.

i think its still kinda acting weird does ur cars temp. gauge go down from where it starts when the car is turnes off?

was it really connect it well? or do i need to go and look for it and really get it in there

yah the fans goes on i guess the guy said the car runs good thats why my antifreeze level never really goes down only has 55k yah i just heard it has nothing to do with the anifreeze

is it the orange plug that ur talking about that has to do with the gauge thats in your picture tht u day its in the center of the pic

Edited by jovan915

Sorry, no offense but your spelling and missing punctuations make it hard to understand exactly what you're saying.. if I understood right, your guage stays at current temp when you turn the key off..? Mine falls to the extreme left when the key is turned off, and returns to whatever the current coolant temp is when turned back on. I assume that is the normal functionality.

Yes, the orange connector in the picture Aussie posted is the one for the gauge (one wire). The other one, which looks black in the upper right of the pic, is the temp sensor for the PCM (two wires). I dunno if your connections are interchangeable, but maybe check to make sure the guy installed the different plugs to their appropriate sensors. Look at the metal coolant pipe from the driver's side: the one-wire connector goes to the sensor thats front and center in view, in the 'middle' of the pipe next to the large rubber hose connection... the two-wire connector goes to the sensor looking toward the right, on the 'rear' of the pipe that's closest to the starter.

FYI -- Your connector may be a different color, I noticed mine is a black push-on with no clip. The connection reminds me of the old spark plug tops that are threaded and you just push the connector on and it makes a little zip noise..

Edited by jeffmknight

yah exactly the temp gauge stays where ever its at when you turn it off.

when you turn it on it goes to the temp of the car.

mine is the same color as the one on the picture.

what do u think is wrong?