FordContour.Org

Engine Noise

94GT

Hey everyone on the forum, I recently bought this 1998 CSVT with a few issues.

I got the car for $900, 146k on the odometer, transmission seems to be fine, and everything else is in the right place.

When I went to look at the car, the car started right up, but had what sounds like a tick at the beginning.

It's like a knock when the car has a cold start, but the noise reduces once it starts ti get warmer.

Seems to be coming from right under the UIM. I can't gear it when I'm driving, but it is present.

I also found a couple of labor receipts in the glove box that stated the car blew a plug out of the well. Had to be re-threaded and what not.

Would like to hear responses from those out there with a little more experience than mine, what would you say the noise is?

Here's a link to the photobucket video:

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/kg9001/2012-08-21_18-32-43_377.mp4

Thank you all.

...it maybe some debris in the cylinder from the spark plug insert but I doubt it.Top end taps usually lead to a spun rod bearing as the piston travels a bit further up the bore and can kiss the cylinder head...a comon failure on this engine.Do you have good oil pressure etc???

Yeah, pressure seems to be fine. It's just that noise though. Loud when car has a cold start (not too loud), and dies down a little a few seconds after starting it.

Terry, when I had this car I noticed the keeper for the brake booster line was broken off where it connects to the UIM. The tip seems to be broken as you can move it in and out of the UIM without resistance.

Do you think the keeper could have made its way into a combustion chamber?

It would've melted by now. Chances are you are hearing one of a few things. First is oil drainback by using a filter that doesn't have a good drainback valve. These engine require a filter with a drainback valve that holds oil in the top end of the engine or it will drain back and tap/knock on startup for a few seconds. Use a Motorcraft FL820S filter and see if the problem eases up.

Second could be a timing chain tensioner bleed down issue.. Seen plenty of those and boy do they make noise when cold. They also stop making noise after a few seconds.. But alot harder to repair as you have to tear into the engine to replace.

Otherwise it could just be carbon buildup.. Seen it in these engines and plenty of import engines. Close tolerances and cold carbon can make some strange noises when cold. I'm betting on your filter being the issue as a drainback problem, but tensioners can make that noise just as much and often.

-Dom

Thanks for the reply Dom.

We fed it Seafoam thru the intake, drowning it for a 30min wet soak at the finish of the bottle. Started it back up and drove it some until the SilverSmokeShip was back to normal. After that we did the oil (M1) and filter (WIX). Also Autolite APP104 plugs and a Bosch wire set.

No changes noted. We are still able to hear this noise when it's hot, but it is definitely much louder when cold..