FordContour.Org

Pumping Gas Problem

cmk033

I have problem puming gas into the tank. It appears that the gas does not go into the tank fast enought. The pump keeps stoping as if the tank is full and I have to restart the hand pump again and again. It is really pain in the butt to fill the tank in cold weather as it takes long time to fill the tank and have to stand next to the car to keep pressing pump lever as the pump pops and stops. Does anyone know why this is happening? Would the problem go away if I replace the gas tank? Or is it the gas inlet the problem. Any help would be appreciated. I've live with this for 5 years now but would really like to fix the problem.

sounds like an air is not getting out.. have you tried lifting and holding the nozzle up so you can let air out while the gas goes in?

sounds like an air is not getting out.. have you tried lifting and holding the nozzle up so you can let air out while the gas goes in?

Excellent starting point in the troubleshooting process, cited above. I might add that Ford has had their share of "issues" with these CDW27 related fuel tank issues on this side of the pond - http://www.autonews.com/article/19941024/ANA/410240767/2nd-contour-recall-costs-ford-multimillions:maker-keeps-mum-on

My '95 'Tour had it's fuel tank replaced under the aforemention recall/campaign.

Memory test here!!.. I think there was a recall/TSB that covered changing the filler tube/vent assy due to this blow back when filling problem. The flap valve and vent tube were the issue...if my memory is working!!

I did not know this. We are the original owner and have never been notified of recall from Ford. Can this be covered under recall even now? Car is a 20 years old now..... We suffered for many many years and still living with it. This is just now right....

My 1996 Zetec has the same issue if trying to fill it too quickly. I've found in the past that some fuel pumps would trigger the shut off no matter how fast or slow you have it set. I always have set mine on the slowest fill setting and I've not had any problems for some years now for the gas stations I use. Maybe the fuel pumps are now calibrated differently than in the past.

Whimsey

Mine has the same issue at times and pumping slower is usually the answer, The recall most likely had a sunset date on it so they will not honor it now. I could be wrong on that so it is worth checking with the dealership. The fix when I read it was a bit of a pain to do so I haven't done anything with mine and it is not too bad most of the time.

Terry your memory is just fine the problem is with the flapper valve in the bottom of the fill tube. So you have to drop the tank and replace the fill tube, etc,etc.

cmk033 ....... at the begining :wink:

AF

Here is a copy of the letter sent to registered owners; note this affects ONLY '98 'Tours and '98 Cougars.

June 2001
To:
All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
Subject:
Owner Notification Program 01M04 - Certain 1998 Contour and Mystique and Certain 1999 Cougar Vehicles - Additional Coverage Program for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly

PROGRAM TERMS: This additional coverage program will be in effect for 10 years service or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle already has more than 100,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2001. VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

• Certain 1998 model year Contour and Mystique vehicles built at both the Cuautitlan Assembly Plant and the Kansas City Assembly Plant from Job #1, 1998 through July 31, 1998
  • Certain 1999 model year Cougar vehicles built at the Auto Alliance International Plant in Flat Rock from Job #1 through July 31, 1998

REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

In the vehicles covered by this program, the fuel pipe flapper valve may stick which could result in slow fill and frequent fuel filler nozzle shut-off. In some limited cases, a small amount of fuel may spit-back during refueling. These conditions may be intermittent, depending on the variety of fuels used by the customer. SERVICE ACTION

If the customer reports slow fuel fill, frequent fuel filler nozzle shut-off, or fuel spit-back while refueling, the dealer will install a new fuel pipe flapper valve assembly at no charge to the owner of the vehicle. Since the condition may be intermittent, this service action may be provided in response to customer report only, without demonstrating that the condition exists at time of the service request. Attachments

• Attachment I
    • Administrative Information
  • Attachment II
    • Labor Allowances
    • Parts Ordering Information
  • Attachment III
    • Technical Information Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS?

Claims Information:...................................... ..............................1-800-423-8851
Other (Dealer Only) Questions:........................................ .............1-800-325-5621 regard24.gif

ATTACHMENT I
Owner Notification Program 01M04

Certain 1998 Contour and Mystique and Certain 1999 Cougar Vehicles Additional Coverage Program for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly
OASIS

You must use OASIS to determine if a vehicle is eligible for this program. CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION

• Enter claims using DWE.
  • Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.

OWNER REFUNDS

Ford Motor Company will only refund owner-paid repairs made before the date of the Owner Letter (or after the date of the Owner Letter if an emergency repair was made away from the servicing dealer).
Program Code: 01M04
Misc. Expense: REFUND
Misc. Expense: ADMIN
Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hour
Refer to ACESII manual for refund information. RENTAL CARS

Rental vehicles are not authorized for this program.

ATTACHMENT II

Certain 1998 Contour and Mystique and Certain 1999 Cougar Vehicles Additional Coverage Program for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly
LABOR ALLOWANCES
Operation Description Labor Allowances Labor Operation Replace the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve 1.8 Hours 01M04B
PARTS REQUIREMENTS

Parts Ordering Information
Parts will not be direct shipped for this program. Order your parts requirement through normal order processing channels as noted below:

Stock Orders Effective immediately Normal order process Interim Orders Effective immediately Normal order process Emergency Orders First 30 days after launch Call 1-800-325-5621 Emergency Orders 31 days after launch Normal order process

Any change to the order process shown above will be announced via DOES II.

Part Number Description Quantity F8RZ-9U085-AC Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve 1 XS7Z-9072-AA Grommet 1
ORDER INFORMATION DOR/COR

DOR/COR number 50246 identifies parts ordered for this campaign through the Special Service Support Center (1-800-325-5621). DEALER PRICE

For latest prices, check:

• DOES II
  • Updated Price Book

EXCESS STOCK RETURN

Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.

ATTACHMENT III

FUEL PIPE FLAPPER VALVE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT

AFFECTED VEHICLES: CERTAIN 1998 CONTOUR, MYSTIQUE AND CERTAIN 1999 COUGAR VEHICLES OVERVIEW

This procedure provides the detail to replace the fuel tank filler pipe flapper valve assembly (located at the end of the filler pipe) and the fuel tank filler neck grommet. REMOVAL

1. Relieve fuel system pressure. Remove the fuel pump relay from the power distribution box under the hood. Run the engine until it runs out of fuel. Then crank the engine a few more seconds to make sure any residual fuel pressure is relieved. Then turn the key to OFF and reinstall the relay. See Figure 1.
    01m04a.gif
    FIGURE 1

2. Install memory saver and disconnect the battery negative cable.

• NOTE:
      The end of the 3/8 in. hose must be trimmed to a point to allow for insertion into the fuel tank.
  3. Using Rotunda Fuel Tanker 034-00014 or equivalent and a suitable length of 3/8-inch hose, remove the fuel from the fuel tank.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle on a hoist.
  5. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter outlet fitting. See Figure 2.
    01m04b.gif
    FIGURE 2

6. Position a tall jack stand at the forward end of the muffler and pipe assembly. Remove the muffler inlet pipe flange nuts. Then disengage the hangers and remove the muffler and pipe assembly from the vehicle. See Figure 3.
    01m04c.gif
    FIGURE 3

7. Remove the exhaust heat shield from the fuel tank area. See Figure 4.
    01m04d.gif
    FIGURE 4

8. Disconnect the rear sway bar links from the lower suspension arms. Then remove the sway bar brackets and the sway bar from the vehicle. See Figure 5.
    01m04e.gif
    FIGURE 5

9. Remove the two (2) filler neck bracket retainer bolts.
  10. Using Rotunda Powertrain Lift or equivalent, support the fuel tank.
  11. Remove the fuel tank strap bolts and position the straps out of the way. See Figure 6.
    01m04f.gif
    FIGURE 6

12. Partially lower the fuel tank.

• NOTE:
      There are minor differences between non-returnless and returnless fuel systems. A returnless fuel system may have fewer items to disconnect in the fuel tank area than those listed below.
  13. Disconnect the following from the fuel tank. See Figure 7.
    1. pressure sensor electrical connector.
    2. fuel pump module electrical connector.
    3. fuel line.
    4. vapor tube (2 connections).
    5. fuel vent hoses.
    6. fuel filler pipe.
    01m04g.gif
    FIGURE 7

14. Remove the fuel tank and set it on a suitable work surface.
  15. Using suitable pliers, remove the flapper valve from the housing by twisting it until the hinge pins shear. See Figure 8. Then remove the valve housing, using a 3/8-inch center punch to carefully punch out the housing retaining tabs through the retaining tab windows. Be sure to remove any remaining plastic debris from the filler pipe.
    01m04h.gif
    FIGURE 8

16. Remove the fuel filler neck grommet from the fuel tank. See Figure 9.
    01m04i.gif
    FIGURE 9

This is NOT going to be possible for novice DYI like myself as the exhaust pipe & tank removal will be almost impossible to remove with age and rust.

I also called the ford to verify that 95 Contour has NOT been recalled for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly, or any other in that area which could cause the fuel refill problem. I have argued that there are many who is having problem and I've live with it in harsh Chicago winter for more than 5 years and more to come.... Nope they say the car has not been identified as a problem.

This is NOT going to be possible for novice DYI like myself as the exhaust pipe & tank removal will be almost impossible to remove with age and rust.

I also called the ford to verify that 95 Contour has NOT been recalled for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly, or any other in that area which could cause the fuel refill problem. I have argued that there are many who is having problem and I've live with it in harsh Chicago winter for more than 5 years and more to come.... Nope they say the car has not been identified as a problem.

Not totally correct - my '95 had it's entire gas tank replaced due to the issue with the filler neck becoming detached due to bad manufacturing - see above. This would most definatley affect filling, one would suspect. Terry's advice, above, is correct - secure a shop that you have confidence in and have them troubleshoot this issue you are experiencing.