FordContour.Org

Engine has arrived!!

Guest KAOS_2.5M

Guest KAOS_2.5M

so just wanted to make sure this is the correct gasket since they never get one in at a store were I can actually look at it first.

is this gasket here the rubbey gasket that goes around the outer edge of the timing cover?

I'm a little confused and don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

thanks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it commin Kaos?

Guest KAOS_2.5M
How is it commin Kaos?

it's comming along fine now that I'm back on it. had to lay off for a while while I made some money.

ordered my exhaust gaskets yestarday, so they should show up today or tomarrow, then I can clean, paint, and install my exhaust on the 3.0

I hope I don't snap or otherwise ruin any of the exhaust hardware because parts america doesn't list exhaust manifold bolts as something thats available.

also got my 5/8 fitting for the EGR here now, and painted up the Ypipe to match the rest of my exhaust. so I guess I'm sort of there now, playing with the exhaust systems.

havent taken a bunch of pics lately because my battery is pretty much dead in my camera. need to get a new one.

it's comming along fine now that I'm back on it. had to lay off for a while while I made some money.

ordered my exhaust gaskets yestarday, so they should show up today or tomarrow, then I can clean, paint, and install my exhaust on the 3.0

I hope I don't snap or otherwise ruin any of the exhaust hardware because parts america doesn't list exhaust manifold bolts as something thats available.

also got my 5/8 fitting for the EGR here now, and painted up the Ypipe to match the rest of my exhaust. so I guess I'm sort of there now, playing with the exhaust systems.

havent taken a bunch of pics lately because my battery is pretty much dead in my camera. need to get a new one.

Sounds like it is almost done,I guess mission impossible was'nt that impossible.Hey look on the brightside you have a camera,all you need is a battery.I need both LOL!

Guest KAOS_2.5M
Sounds like it is almost done,I guess mission impossible was'nt that impossible.Hey look on the brightside you have a camera,all you need is a battery.I need both LOL!

I wouldn't call it almost done by far, but I wouldn't call it mission impossible either.

once you start pulling it apart alot of it is pretty straight forward. I'd say it's fairly plug & play, besides for the egr coupler and the fuel rail.

do you know anybody whose used the NPG returnless adapter for 3l 'tours?

the pictures I've gotten from joey are hard to figure out and nobody has told me what fuel rail I have to use for it to work right.

the pictures I've gotten from joey are hard to figure out and nobody has told me what fuel rail I have to use for it to work right.

I put one on my brothers car 7 the other 3L tour that I am working on for that guy in ATL has that & the LIM from Joey. He has a couple of designs of adapters the main thing you need to do is get retun/returnless whatever you need. Then tell him what type of fuel rail you want to use. My brothers was the 04 taurus fuel rail, mikes' looks like it might be an 03 taurus block so I assume the fuel rail is the one that came w/ this block. For the record I got his car in pieces from another mechanic that started the swap & decided it was to much. I'm still trying to piece his car back together.

The point, I snapped pics of the fuel rail & sent them to Joey, I'd post pics but they have views of his product in some of them, you should just do that.

Don't get in too big of a hurry to bolt on the headders. That is simple stuff that can get in the way of doing other work. They should be toward the end of things along with the Y pipe.

just my 2 cents,

AF

Guest KAOS_2.5M
Don't get in too big of a hurry to bolt on the headders. That is simple stuff that can get in the way of doing other work. They should be toward the end of things along with the Y pipe.

just my 2 cents,

AF

I know, but they don't seem to get in the way of anything and I might as well do them since I actually have the stuff here to do that. the gaskets get here tomorrow.

I put one on my brothers car 7 the other 3L tour that I am working on for that guy in ATL has that & the LIM from Joey. He has a couple of designs of adapters the main thing you need to do is get retun/returnless whatever you need. Then tell him what type of fuel rail you want to use. My brothers was the 04 taurus fuel rail, mikes' looks like it might be an 03 taurus block so I assume the fuel rail is the one that came w/ this block. For the record I got his car in pieces from another mechanic that started the swap & decided it was to much. I'm still trying to piece his car back together.

The point, I snapped pics of the fuel rail & sent them to Joey, I'd post pics but they have views of his product in some of them, you should just do that.

so he can make my original 02 sable rail work in the 'tour? I'll have to ask him that more directly I guess.

...timing cover gasket has 3 parts,'O' ring style ,one each side and one 'V' in the valley area...

yeah, I saw the one there when I pulled the 2.5 cover, but what I'm trying to figure out is were to get it. is that funny looking drawing at parts america the right gasket?

thanks for all the input guys, it's very much appreciated

Guest KAOS_2.5M
I have seen it at two places:

Rock Auto, and O'rileys

AF

so it's not the seal I posted up from parts america earlier?

where does the one I posted go?

IDK why this is being such a pita to figure out. I guess because they list all kinds of stuff under "timing gasket" on the web.

I really do need the gasket like a week ago though. this is really hanging me up

can I order online from o-rileys? I know they have a few of those in the south, but I havent seen one in charlotte.

I wouldn't call it almost done by far, but I wouldn't call it mission impossible either.

once you start pulling it apart alot of it is pretty straight forward. I'd say it's fairly plug & play, besides for the egr coupler and the fuel rail.

Call or email joey and ask him! The best info is always straight from the horses mouth!

...I think we have said that the Escape returnless rail and LIM's are the ones that have the direction correct for fuel line connections.The Taurus style points the wrong way,unless you wish to mod it Vs a 'bolt on' rail.

Guest KAOS_2.5M
...I think we have said that the Escape returnless rail and LIM's are the ones that have the direction correct for fuel line connections.The Taurus style points the wrong way,unless you wish to mod it Vs a 'bolt on' rail.

I know that, but I'm trying to use the NPG returnless mod rather than trying to solder a fuel rail. so what I'm trying to find out is which rail the NPG mod is designed to work best with.

Guest KAOS_2.5M
...I told you, the Escape rail, you don't have to weld/braze anything with the Escape rail...how many more times??? :rolleyes:

the escape rail has a return line?

I was fairly sure all escapes were returnless.

or are you trying to say I need the NPG adaptrer PLUS the escape rail?

the other question in my brain is....

if the 02 escape rail has the FPR flange in the rail, why the heck does the NPG adapter have a mounting place for an FPR?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KAOS_2.5M

ok, been being lazy, especially with pics for you guys, so here we go:

the cluster F@&% it took to get the crank pulley off without "the tool"

img6633mb4.jpg

definately a blown gasket, coolant in one pot, oil in the other two

img6749gg5.jpg

img6751up6.jpg

inside of head

img6750zv3.jpg

notice anything missing?

img6747wr7.jpg

maybe it's this!

img6748ss7.jpg

so that was the "aluminum hone" sound... :doh:

Y pipe acid washed and ready for paint

img6634mr6.jpg

and painted

img6635cr1.jpg

playing with intake parts is like legos for racers

img6644dg5.jpg

got all that shiney stuff for free from a ricer buddy, might paint it all flat black

so all those pics are old, but I've been to lazy to post them. today I'm going to pull the 3.0 headers, drop the MTX from the 2.5, grind up the upper mount, and clean/paint some more stuff.

hopefully I'll get the pics up in less than a week :D

Edited by KAOS_2.5M

....just some info on the Y pipe.Between the outer stainless cover and the inner Y pipe itself is heat insulation material...Did you wash off all the acid etc? Just a thought.....

good point... acid that has soaked into the insulation and not flushed out will cause the pipe to rust out.

Guest KAOS_2.5M

yeah, I did it in the shower, started with dawn power degreaser stuff (ultra basic gel), soaked it in muratic acid, scrubbed it with a steel brush, followed that with naval jelly (which causes a black double oxide layer on all rust), washed it down completely again with dawn power to neutralize the acid, lightly brushed some naval jelly on the outer part, then rinsed that off with acetone. yes.... it sounds complicated, but I'm a little over the top with rust prevention, and it only took two hours total for the end result, which looks very nice.

FYI, most of the asbestoseseemed to have rotted out before hand. not great, but not much I can do about it

in other news, just got the tranny off, be cleaning that all nice later after I pull the 3l mani's, switch over the clutch, and anything else I can think of to unbolt before night fall.

good think I have tile to put down in the dining area, cause linoleum really doesn't look good after a month of being a garage floor :lol:

PS: does anybody have a spare rear lifting eye for me? my 2.5 was missing it and I've been spending a lot of time finding bolts that fit unused boss's so I can manipulate this heavy mess with the hoist.

Guest KAOS_2.5M

just had an idea while I was pulling stuff off, could I use the upsteam o2 from the 3L on my 2.5 manifold?

reason I ask is I was tossing rich/lean codes from all the soot I was tossing down the manifold and I'm pretty sure the upstream in the rear manifold is probably shot.

on top of that it looks like I need a new cluch disk, which is lame, but better now then later.

• 3 months later...
Guest KAOS_2.5M

so figured I should update my build thread, since it's been forever and the engine is ready to drop in when I get a clutch.

it seems like it took forever, but I spent two and a half monthes pissing around, going on a vaca to ATL, being broke, ect

here we go:

got the fuel rail parts and put them together:

img6811editedir3.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-10-18

img6820ww2.jpg

cleaned, port matched, and painted the mani-cats:

img6827ed4.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-10-21

img6829cb1.jpg

img6828wm6.jpg

img6832me4.jpg

img6833rt0.jpg

Guest KAOS_2.5M

timing cover and it's related parts all prettied up and ready to go:

img6836editednt2.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-10-23

3.0 block prettied up:

img6841editedhz6.jpg

img6842editedje0.jpg

cut the tabs that block the alt bracket:

img6847editeduv0.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-10-25

img6846editedgj2.jpg

img6845editedds9.jpg

Guest KAOS_2.5M

hacking up the upper mount:

img6816cu4.jpg

img6815fj1.jpg

img6814yf1.jpg

img6813ox3.jpg

img6817editedqq5.jpg

ATX pilot bushing wouldn't come uot, so it got hacked:

img6855jo7.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-11-09

Prettied up the MTX:

img6856wo4.jpg

Guest KAOS_2.5M

flat blacked the engine bay, it is now satin black because I decided I didn't like the flat black. I've also done the underside of the hood now:

img6862cj9.jpg

sable head:

img6894gd0.jpg

flipped timing wheel:

img6898tk9.jpg

naked 3.0 block:

img6899qc2.jpg

put it all together, just to pull the alt and ac again, it looks good though:

img6912yj4.jpg

"modified" the electronic fpr on the taurus rail, so it would plug the hole, but not hit the egr after I bent it away from the front. this isn't standard practice, but it looks more oem than a fuel rail sticking out the front:

screw and jb weld

img6919xk0.jpg

ground down and more jb weld

img6920jj7.jpg

looks pretty good

img6924rb6.jpg