FordContour.Org

How to identify my engine

bullseye670

Ok,I was removing the timing cover off the 98' SVT and on the rear of the harmonic balancer was a few codes, part numbers or whatever. Also what looks like a born on date of 06/15/2002. I was wondering if the balancer was replaced or possible the entire engine. The car still ran before I got it but was smashed. just want to know the engine year.

On the side of the block I found some codes that look like they were typed by a computer but they don't match my vin. I thought I'd find the vin or part of it on the block somewhere. Heres what was etched into the block. 0202.0305 then below that,

. 51222222

On the end of thee crank, 83 82 85 88 and cast into the block, RF-F-53E-6015_MC

Does anyone see anything in these codes?? Thanks...............

Ok,I was removing the timing cover off the 98' SVT and on the rear of the harmonic balancer was a few codes, part numbers or whatever. Also what looks like a born on date of 06/15/2002. I was wondering if the balancer was replaced or possible the entire engine. The car still ran before I got it but was smashed. just want to know the engine year.

On the side of the block I found some codes that look like they were typed by a computer but they don't match my vin. I thought I'd find the vin or part of it on the block somewhere. Heres what was etched into the block. 0202.0305 then below that,

. 51222222

On the end of thee crank, 83 82 85 88 and cast into the block, RF-F-53E-6015_MC

Does anyone see anything in these codes?? Thanks...............

As I've just seen the insides of a 98 and 02 2.5, a couple of noticeable differences is 1) the cam gears and chain on the 02 are thinner than than on the 98, also the pistons in the 02 have eye brows on them for the valves here as the 98 does not. I hope this helps.

As I've just seen the insides of a 98 and 02 2.5, a couple of noticeable differences is 1) the cam gears and chain on the 02 are thinner than than on the 98, also the pistons in the 02 have eye brows on them for the valves here as the 98 does not. I hope this helps.

Thanks Mike. I didn't notice any relief cuts, but I'll look for them today. I would assume that the vin should be on the engine block. The numbers I posted were definetly unique to the engine and done by a computerized machine. Its on a flat area that looks like they would put the car specs there.

Brian...............

...the engine build date and plant is on the white tag on the front/l/h cam cover at the front.The etched numbers are the engine serial etc.The Ford CD gives the decode info on those.The vin will only give the engine type not it's build date etc.

Terry's right, they do not imprint the block with a VIN stamping... Only imports mostly do that. The only codes on the engine block itself are engineering part numbers and casting numbers... Hardly anything to pinpoint a date or build time.

The cam cover white sticker has all the engine info you will need. If it's wiped off or missing - You're out of luck.

-Dom

Wow, talk about a senior moment (brain fart). I was just explaining to my wife that the white tag on the Taurus engine has the date on it. Dugh!!!!! Guess I was more concerned with the vin than the date. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!