FordContour.Org

my contours computer is not resetting help

mattkilla97

Hey everyone, is there a quick/easy way to reset my computer? im having a big problem getting my car to pass smog. at first there were a couple codes that i had fixed (2 o2 sensors and my egr valve replaced.) i was told to drive 40 miles to reset my computer 120 miles later my car was still not ready to be smogged, iv been to 2 smog shops one of them said that it might be another o2 sensor (but there are no codes showing up) , the other place said that it was my computer. the second shop failed me and i thought i would be able to get temporary registration but it was too late for that. I really do not want to scrap my car for 1500 because there are no cars for $1500 that are as good as my car and i dont have extra money to put into a used car.

I know that the easiest way to reset it is to unplug the battery for a couple of minutes, after that you will have to dirve for some miles in order to get it "trained".

There is other way unpluging a fuse, but I don't have at hand the information of which one.

i hope this help

I know that the easiest way to reset it is to unplug the battery for a couple of minutes, after that you will have to dirve for some miles in order to get it "trained".

There is other way unpluging a fuse, but I don't have at hand the information of which one.

i hope this help

thanks i will try this, and look to see what fuse i would need to pull via google or the forums.

Actually there is a Test/Reader connector under the hood behind the drivers strut tower. You insert a jumper between two of the pins and that clears the codes. (I just don't recall which pins to jumper) Whoever told you to drive around was pull'n your leg, it doesn't work that way. I know the answer is here on the site.

AF

Actually there is a Test/Reader connector under the hood behind the drivers strut tower. You insert a jumper between two of the pins and that clears the codes. (I just don't recall which pins to jumper) Whoever told you to drive around was pull'n your leg, it doesn't work that way. I know the answer is here on the site.

AF

thanks, but whats a jumper? i do not have any codes at the moment, the problem is the computer is not ready to be smogged because i had just had it serviced. the smog guy gave me a print out and it showed the test could not start because of certain things on my computer were not ready. Ill go to my car and get the paper and see exaclty what is on there, the other smog place said this as well. i did not believe that i had to drive either but then i read about the drive cycles, are you saying that its unnecessary?

Edited by mattkilla97

NO they are right about the dive cycles. Your cars computer does system checks during drive cycles. I forget how long they take but it is awhile. You should be able to go for a long dirve and clear that all up. I misunderstood what you were saying. But do post what they wrote down.

AF

....his car is a 97 with OBD II...with the reader connection inside the car. Your 95 has OBD I with the connection under the hood...not the same system.

The best way to clear codes(OBD II) is with a plug in reader that can read all codes including 'hidden' codes and has a 'clear codes' function....Disconnecting the battery does not always clear all codes...

Attached are the generic drive cycles to reset an OBD II system. It's broken down by the individual monitor that is showing as not ready.

thank you for the drive cycle pdf. i could not find the paper, the other smog shop guy might have taken it (ahhh!) when he did the test. i cant remember what monitors were not ready but i did order an elm327 code scanner that can read all o2 sensors and emissions from my phone, cant wait to get it. i also read that since my car has a obd!! and disconnecting the battery will not reset the ecu. when i was reading the failed smog test it said that their was a failure on the check engine light or something (but the check engine light is not on. every emissions tests passed. this is very frustrating when they know my car has good emissions but still fail me bc of what i would call semantics. details yes, i have a 97 with the 6 cylinder engine 2.4l.

also thank you terry haines for telling me that the scanner can clear the hidden codes, this give me hope!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't trust those bluetooth scanners.. I have a USB based one, no connection problems there..lol

-Dom

• 1 month later...